View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrautC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Sapphire Radeon 9500 Non-pro, secondary (DVI) output Reply with quote

I'm currently up and running with XFree86 4.3.0 and ati-drivers 2.9.12 with my Sapphire Radeon 9500 Non-pro. It works, except I am forced to use the analog output rather than the DVI output if I want to run X. I have a nice LCD sitting here on my desk, and the analog output just plain sucks compared to the DVI I have always been used to in Windows.

System boots up using the DVI input and works fine at the console, but if I fire up X, it refuses to use the DVI input. The problem stems from the system's inability to detect the DVI output's PCI ID.

If I do an lspci, I get two ID's back:
01:00.0 - VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300....
01:00.1 - Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown Device 4164

Now, XFree86 has no problem identifying the first controller at PCI ID 1:0:0. This is the VGA output, and if I switch my LCD over to use the D-Sub input, I can use X. I can't get it to use the secondary input at all. I just get:

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found.

Does that error look familiar? I see it all over the 'net, but I haven't seen a single fix for it. Do I just have to wait for XFree to support and recognize PCI ID 4164, or is there something else I can try? If I go in and manually set my output Device's BusID to 1:0:1 from 1:0:0, fglrx just dies, complaining that it can't find any devices. If only I could manually specify the chipset in the Device area... unfortunately I don't know what the appropriate string might be!

Thoughts, anyone? What gets me is that there are others who are running R300-based cards in dual head mode. I would be interested in seeing the output they get from doing an lspci. Perhaps mine is using a different chip for the secondary output since it is made by Sapphire....
longtallugly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: post configs? Reply with quote

if you haven't gotten your problem fixed....

- would you mind posting your XF86Config? i had the same problem, but was able to fix it... with help of course :D i think it's part of the device section, i don't really have time to look at mine right now, just noticed your post....
otherwise...
-i'm thinkin' of buying that same card(i think, maybe the pro), do you like yours?
StrautC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I did manage to get it fixed. Long story :)

I really like this card because it is one of the older 9500 Non-Pro's that can be unlocked to run at 9700 Pro levels under Windows. If you can find one of the Sapphire Radeon 9500 non-Pro's at Newegg (it must have the red PCB!) it might be worth a shot. I bought two of these and the trick (http://www.maxdownloads.com/~ian/wizzard/) worked perfectly in both cases - of course, your mileage may vary. I use my DVI output to drive my NEC 1860NX. Works for me!

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do this under Linux.
remne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrautC: I have the same problem as you did, and I wonder if you could tell me how you solved the problem? thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: