Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to upgrade desktop managers & xfree86?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: How to upgrade desktop managers & xfree86? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new on Gentoo an wonder how to upgrade a desktop manager or xfree86 in future.

Installing xfree86 needed several hours on my Athlon-900, kde3 seems to need much longer (more than a day?).

How can I upgrade this stuff in future without missing my graphical desktop for many hours or several days?

Thomas
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to upgrade desktop managers & xfree86? Reply with quote

schlesi wrote:
Hi,

I'm new on Gentoo an wonder how to upgrade a desktop manager or xfree86 in future.

Installing xfree86 needed several hours on my Athlon-900, kde3 seems to need much longer (more than a day?).

How can I upgrade this stuff in future without missing my graphical desktop for many hours or several days?

Thomas

emerge -u xfree

and

emerge -u kde

are going, in the future to update your desktop manager && xfree86. You can use your PC, while it updates, the only problem, is going to be that it will become kind of slow, unless you renice the hole emerge process.

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
schlesi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: What happens to the opened files Reply with quote

Hi,

what happenend to the opened program files and libs while updating? If a kde3-library, for example, must be replaced while updating, how can it be updated at the same time? It can't be removed, because it's in use and if it could be removed and replaced, the "old" and running desktop manager may crash because a needed file does not longer exist.

Thomas
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What happens to the opened files Reply with quote

schlesi wrote:
Hi,

what happenend to the opened program files and libs while updating? If a kde3-library, for example, must be replaced while updating, how can it be updated at the same time? It can't be removed, because it's in use and if it could be removed and replaced, the "old" and running desktop manager may crash because a needed file does not longer exist.

Thomas

Well, the emerge first copies the newer files over the old, and then remove the ones that are no longer _needed_.

So you'll probably not notice any problems. This isn't windows dude :wink:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: