max partition size
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: max partition size Reply with quote

Hello, ok i have my areacs raid controller and 2 new hitachi 7k1000 750gb drives ready fro 64bit install.

I have one Raid 1 array that will house

/boot
/
/usr
/var
/opt
/home

also have a raid 0 for

/swap
/tmp
/usr/portage
/usr/src
/var/tmp
/opt/games
/mnt/scratch

this leave me with raid 1 600gb array for file storage, mainly image files for my photography. I am probably going to go with xfs but what i am not sure of is if should create 2 x300gb partitions as maybe one big 600gb partition is not efficient?

Also with DR xfs guide it says:

Code:

The second option lets you enhance the performance of your new filesystem by telling mkfs.xfs to minimize the number of allocation groups that are created. Normally, mkfs.xfs chooses the number of allocation groups automatically, but from my experience it usually picks a number that is a bit too high for most general-purpose Linux workstations and servers. As you'll recall from my previous article, allocation groups let XFS perform multiple metadata operations in parallel. This comes in handy on high-end servers, but too many allocation groups do add a bit of overhead. So rather than let mkfs.xfs choose the number of allocation groups for your filesystem, specify a number by using the -d agcount=x option. Set x to a small number, something like 4, 6, or 8. You'll need at least one allocation group for every 4 GB of capacity in your target block device.

but following that a 300/600gb xfs partition will have very high number for allocations groups, is there max or should go with 1 for every 4gb?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I broke the 500GB barrier, I switched to LVM2. Simply because it's a pain in the a... having to shuffle 500GB worth of data around only because you want to change the partition layout. With LVM2 and xfs it's a piece of cake. You need more space? Add some with LVM2 and then use xfs_grow to make this space available to your file system. No need to umount or reboot anything. Reducing space now, is a bit more complicated, because that's something where you always need to shuffle data, and xfs doesn't have a tool to shrink on the fly (yet), but it's still fairly easy to do by using the dump / restore tools of xfs.

Does it add overhead? Yes, but it's negligible even on older machines.

Regarding file system optimization and allocation groups: I never did any of that so I don't know if it's worth while. XFS is really bad with tons of small files, so instead I use reiserfs for ccache, /usr/portage, and /usr/src. I don't particularly like reiserfs, but it's extremely good with tons of small files, so that's what I'm using it for. And again, LVM makes it easy creating tons of small partitions for these 'exception' areas. Without LVM, I'd never use the partition layout I'm currently using, because the chance that you have to move some stuff around is just too high.

Using reiserfs, instead of xfs, for /usr/portage, will give you much more of a speed advantage than putting it on a faster disk (I assume your raid 0 is for speed). Of course doing both will be even better.

Also don't forget about backups. RAID is not a backup, no matter how many disks are allowed to fail.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for reply, i have used lvm in the past but tired of it as resizing was pain.

I have pretty much got the size for system partitions worked out from current installs so need for resizing is not important. When i say use xfs i only meant for file storage array, i will be using mixture of ext3, reiserfs and xfs for system and home partitions.

My question is not really directed at system partition setup but at this huge 600gb array i have for file storage, which as said will be for my images which usually range from 2mb to 30mb and some 100mb (scans). I already have a file server for other files, iso music etc.

I have the file allocation trick for ages but never for partition this size, 1 allocation group per 4gb for 600gb partition is 153,600 !! surely this is not a realistic figure to use?

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, no idea. The default values that mkfs.xfs is using:
Code:

$ /sbin/mkfs.xfs -f 600gbimage.iso
meta-data=600gbimage.iso         isize=256    agcount=32, agsize=4915200 blks
         =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=157286400, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096 
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=1
         =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

I never used anything other than default values, and never had a problem because of it... especially when using it for large files only like you're planning to... I'd go with the 600GB partition. ;)

Unfortunately I don't know enough about xfs internals, so I can't tell wether choosing something other than default values would suit you better here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: