Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2007.0 Install borked.. ( GNOME doc wrong? )
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: 2007.0 Install borked.. ( GNOME doc wrong? ) Reply with quote

Warning: true to my style this will properly be a quite long post... scroll down to the very bottom for the question

Last time I installed gentoo from scratch was 2004.1 I think so it has been awhile - for that reason I choose to follow the handbook to the letter:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

First I procure the "Gentoo 2007.0 Minimal CD/InstallCD" since it seems the larger cds don't come in plain old x86 versions :?

The installation goes smoothly (other than framebuffer console not working, so Im stuck in 40x25 char mode) and I get to the part of choosing a Desktop environment, where Im guided to : Gentoo Documentation Resources

I was planning on getting both gnome and KDE*

So I decided to follow the gnome howto: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml

it suggests that I use the following USE flags;

Code:
USE="-qt3 -qt4 -arts -kde gtk gnome hal avahi"

Not wanting to limit my self to gnome ( or exluce the use of kde apps linke k3b ) I skip the minus flags and end up with:
Code:
USE="gtk gnome hal avahi"

Wanting gentoo stamped allover the place I also follow the direction to do :

Code:
echo "gnome-base/gnome-session branding" >> /etc/portage/package.use

and then

Code:
emerge gnome

Since I've a slow connection and I know from previous experience that compiling gnome takes just about ages I got get some sleep at this point..

Next morning Im greeted with some red asterixes that says something like;

"cairo needs the X use flag"

would have been nice of the Gnome doc to mention that, but still I add X to my use and once again type
Code:
emerge gnome

as I come back a little later the error seems pretty much the same and I read a little further up where is says that I should re-emerge cairo with the X use flag :oops:

I do just that and get some coffee to wake up my brain ;)

later I come back and now it's avahi that is complained about - aparently It needs the dbus USE flag - once again would be nice if the howto mentioned that :roll:

at this point I start to wonder about the couple of hundreds of other packages that have been compiled with out X and dbus and how that will affect my system.

I fire up links and a quick google search leads me to a forum post where the syntax for emerging whit changed use vars is "--deep --newuse"

after having consulted the man page for emerge to make sure this is a good idea I do

Code:
emerge -DN gnome

much to my supprise it now starts to pull new versions of libc and gcc - well maybe gcc 4 is standard now *shrug*

now ofcourse the real "fun" starts as somewhat later ( alot later ) it starts to complain about missing perls XML::Parser

Code:
emerge -s xml | grep perl

reveals only libxml-perl so I emerge that and do

Code:
emerge --resume

ofcourse it stops with the same error :(

In desperation I fire up cpan ( which I then configure, and install the cpan bundle )

the I try to install XML::Parser - only to be told that the version I have is up to date.. well maybe the cpan bundle updated/installed it?

Code:
emerge --resume

Same error again.... :cry:

greping though emerge again I find XML-Parser ( could have sworn it wasn't there before *Shrug* )

this time resume works \o/

and dies again with fontconfig being unable to find libexpat.so.0

Code:
emerge expat

and resume only to get the same error again..

So look through the log from emerging expat and discover that is says it may be nessecary to use

Code:
revdep -rebuild -x --library libexpat.so.0

okay.. trouble is that tool is not found, back to links and google after much mucking about I find that the tool is from gentoolkit

so I merge that and the -dev verison

and fire up the revdep command again - it seems to be fixing the errors and then decideds to emerge 34 pagackages 8O

after waiting for that to finish I emerge --resume and this time it finishes

I then follow the resst of the howto ( which forgets to tell you to do etc-update )

firing up x my screen goes out of sync - no real supprise I havent edited xorg.conf yet.

Im a little supprised to find that there is no xorg.conf file and looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.lgo I find that it detected everything automatically 8O

but even tho it discovers that my screen cant go above 1440x900 it _still_ start it in 1440x1024..

I start X up again and press ctrl+alt+- and manualy set my screen to the propper setting.

ofcourse rebooting reveals that I will need to write the xorg.conf file after all as gdm stil starts in 1440x1024.

oh well I needed to do that anyway since I want hardware opengl - on to emerge ati drivers.

Deciding not to test my luck I find a howto for that

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ati

Code:
equery uses xorg-x11

Does not work - equery says that the package dont exist ?

Code:
emerge -s xorg-x11
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : xorg-x11 ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-base/xorg-x11
      Latest version available: 7.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 0 kB
      Homepage:      http://xorg.freedesktop.org
      Description:   An X11 implementation maintained by the X.Org Foundation (meta package)
      License:       as-is

*shrug* I properly did not use that dlloader flag anyway

Code:
emerge -av x11-drivers/ati-drivers

It wants so install gcc-3 ? ack

I add opengl to my USE flags and tuck on the -extras on the emerge and run it again.

Later when I come back I get

Quote:
* Preparing fglrx module

make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r9'

CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o

/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:185: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'mlock'

(... tons more syntax errors here ...)

/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:4173: error: expected '{' at end of input

make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r9'

make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
use

* ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5 failed.

* Call stack:

* ebuild.sh, line 1695: Called dyn_compile

* ebuild.sh, line 1033: Called qa_call 'src_compile'

* ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile

* ati-drivers-8.32.5.ebuild, line 143: Called linux-mod_src_compile

* linux-mod.eclass, line 518: Called die

* The specific snippet of code:

* emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)" LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" \

* ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} \

* || die "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}."

* The die message:

* Unable to make GCC_VER_MAJ=4 KVER=2.6.22-gentoo-r9 KDIR=/usr/src/linux kmod_build.

* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

* A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.32.5/temp/build.log'.

(ignore the unicode chars - I pasted it directly from the log )

Now the question is:

Is there anyway to salvage this?

And if not;

What USE flags should I actually use?

and to prevent having to redownload everything is it enough to backup /usr/portage ?

I made a tarball of the system just before rebooting / starting on the GNOME howto - Im hoping I can use that to start over withouth having to start from scratch.

In advance thanks you for your time and help.

*) and e17 and compiz-fusion ... since I wanted to compare the different desktops - but that is a different story all together.

ps. the gentoo forum is impossible to read in links when stuck in 40x25 char mode since you cant scroll sideways ( or rahter I cant figure out how to do that ) - any chance of a links friendly mode ? :D
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
desktop stuff, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments.
desktop stuff, so moved here.

"Desktop stuff" I see.. If you don't mind I'd like to continue my original post of Documentation/Installation issues;
( even though I am emerging gnome the errors arent gnome specific, but related to wrong USE flags when following the documentation )

So I started over again with my backups: this time ignoring the recommended default per the handbook:
handbook wrote:
The default profile will provide you with a Linux 2.6-based system. This is the recommended default, but you have the option of choosing another profile too.

There are also desktop and server subprofiles available for some architectures. Look inside the 2007.0/ profile to see if there is one available for your architecture. You may wish to view the desktop profile's make.defaults to determine if it fits your needs.

( my highlight )

and linked directly to the Desktop sub directory.

This morning it had stalled with 89 packages to go ( out of ~468 ) packages complaining that hal expected pcitools to be merge without the zlib flag. As it did not really seem wise to disable it globally I did:

Code:
USE="-zlib" emerge pcitools;emerge --resume

( notice despite that the emerge was for gnome, the errors are not gnome related )
which at least seemed to solve that issue. Once I get back from work hopefully there wont have been more, ofcourse I'll be made to pay for the local useflag on pcitools at my first system update.. but I'll cross that bridge once I reach it.

The most basic install of end users would be to install linux with a desktop of some sort, following the current documentation this is a process with enough errors to turn away even most stalwart would be gentoo user.

So the question is - is the documentation off, or have I somehow erred in following it?

and never mind that installing a graphical desktop environment is not part of the handbook itself - hald is expected to be part of a modern linux distro and with the current USE flags it causes an error ( see above )

[edit]
and it would seem the problem is not isolated to me;
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4438193.html#4438193
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: