View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Stupid non-KDE WM question Reply with quote

I mainly use KDE, but I've been playing around more with fluxbox recently. When I'm not using Linux, I use a Mac, so I was happy to find a KDE window decoration that puts the close window/minimize/maximize buttons in the upper left hand corner. This is probably trivial, but one of the barriers I have to using Fluxbox more often is the fact that the same buttons are on the upper right hand corner.

Is it possible to move the close window/minimize/maximize buttons in the upper left hand corner in any other window manager program?
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Check out the fluxbox.org website. There's very good documentation there that tells you how to do it. Basically, you just have to make a few changes to a text file in ~/.fluxbox/*/init. There may be a gui way to do it as well, but I remember reading about all of it on the fluxbox.org site.

Have fun.

-Jeff
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I couldn't find a parameter in either the init or style files in fluxbox that would make the change I'm looking for.

I would like to have three buttons in the upper left hand corner of the window that will , in order, close, minimize, and maximize the window. Basically the same layout as in OS X.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid non-KDE WM question Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
Is it possible to move the close window/minimize/maximize buttons in the upper left hand corner in any other window manager program?

It's possible with both fluxbox and KDE. Not possible with most other window managers. In KDE, just right click on the titlebar, goto configure window behavior, click on the buttons tab and just arrange drag and drop the buttons to how you want. Most window decorations in KDE can do this.

I forget how exactly to do this in fluxbox, but I've done it before. I can't check because I'm not in it right now :)
lazarusrat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how flux does it. In openbox, there's a session.titlebarLayout setting in the rc file that defines the order. (http://icculus.org/openbox/2/rc.php)
I think this was originally floating around as a patch for blackbox, so flux probably incorporated it the same way. It's just a matter of finding the right flux rc file and making sure of the setting's name.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. It's in the /.fluxbox/init file, and the parameters are session.titlebar.left and session.titlebar.right

I'm now enjoying my new OS X-like fluxbox. Thanks for the lead.

And as far as I can tell, this is not in the fluxbox documentation at all.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are happy. I knew I saw it somewhere when I was fooling around with the flux settings. Maybe you ought to post a link to a site with the documentation. If there isn't one, perhaps post what you did (for others).

-Jeff
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did. The file to edit is ~/.fluxbox/init. Scrolling through the file, you will see two parameters: session.titlebar.left and session.titlebar.right.

I changed my init file to read:

Code:
session.titlebar.left:   Close Minimize Maximize
session.titlebar.right:  Stick

Originally, Close, Minimize, and Maximize was after session.titlebar.right, and Stick was after session.titlebar.left. The corresponding buttons will line up in the order that you specify.

Now the button arrangement in fluxbox is the same as in OS X.

And to repeat myself, this was not in the fluxbox documentation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: