View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bender007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Windows under Linux Vmware? Reply with quote

Hi

i want to install windows XP under my Gentoo box. It want to use David Tobit Home BUT the Home versions don't work under Linux. Business and Office works but Home not.. this SUCKs.. which way is the best? install vmware-Server without X and connect with the console? But Windows must run all the time not only when i connect, Is this with Vware Server possible?

Thanks bender
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows under Linux Vmware? Reply with quote

Bender007 wrote:
Hi

i want to install windows XP under my Gentoo box. It want to use David Tobit Home BUT the Home versions don't work under Linux. Business and Office works but Home not.. this SUCKs.. which way is the best? install vmware-Server without X and connect with the console? But Windows must run all the time not only when i connect, Is this with Vware Server possible?

Thanks bender

Use vmplayer. Its free and works really well. I run it at work. Its available in portage and there has got to be at least one decent guide for setting it up.

Raydude
Bender007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have i to install X for vmplayer?
because its my server and i want only install software which is really needed.

Thanks for your answer
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bender007 wrote:
Have i to install X for vmplayer?
because its my server and i want only install software which is really needed.

Thanks for your answer

Yeah you have to have X running for vmplayer. I don't know how you'd control the VM without it, unless you could do remote desktop which I think virtualbox does (not positive though).

Raydude
Bender007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that i don't want to install software i don't need and X have nothing to do on a server... yes winxp too but i need it for this software... is it possible to install a virtaul tool or something without installing X? or is there an another option?

What is with Vmware Server? is this an option but why it is masked? it is good to use it?
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use vmware-server. Just unmask it by putting it in /etc/portage/package.unmask file and you're good to go to install it.

Then, you just connect with console from another machine, and it will stay powered on until you shut it down. Even if you quit the console. VMplayer will just shut the image down if you quit it.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get it straight... You need to run a Windows software on a headless server, to provide some service over the network.

You should first do some research whether or not you can replicate its functionality with a native software. To see whether it is really worth the fuss. If it's impossible, and you really need this service, you should try WINE. If your software doesn't work properly with WINE, have a look at VMware Server. I don't know much about it, but it MIGHT be able to do what you want it to do. Just remember that VMware Server itself is proprietary - retail - software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: