Recover Data from partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shelnutt2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Recover Data from partition Reply with quote

Long story short, I have a hdd from a friend to recovery the data. The harddrive is dying, I had to manually recovery the partition, it had a NTFS partition, using testdisk. Then I made an image of the partition using dd_rescue and it was able to recover all but 9gigs of the 160 gig partition. I know the hard drive is dying and has bad heads so I was surprised dd_rescue was able to recover so much. Then I've used foremost (v1.5 from portage) to recover the actual data. The problem is though it seems to fail at ~23 gigs of data. First time I got a segment fault, second time it said it couldn't read a file, third time it just stopped and exited. So I'm not sure whats up there.

The second thing is that the main thing my friend wants is his contact list from outlook express. The problem is this is stored in a csv, comma separated values, file and foremost isn't programed to recover that file. For that matter it isn't programed to recover txt files either. I tried googling it but I'm lost on how to edit the config file of foremost and make it look for the file. Anyone know how?

Thanks
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting the people from foremost directly: namikus@users.sf.net website: http://foremost.sourceforge.net/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: