Looking for documentation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Looking for documentation Reply with quote

The Gentoo handbook is an excellent resource. However, I am fairly new to all of this and I don't quite understand why certain things are done and why I need to use the specific commands outlined in the handbook. For the most part, the handbook walks you through step by step on how to do an installation. I managed to get a barebones Gentoo install running on my box in the basement. I use SSH to access it.

I am still lacking in understanding things. I just followed the handbook without really knowing what any of it meant or actually did. Are there any kind of resources out there that provide a walk-through like the Gentoo handbook but also explain the why and the how of the commands used?
BigPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on!

I don't need something that explains what a mouse is and why it's important. I just need more noob friendly instructions so I can get the basics down.

An example; In Windows, I know all programs default to the /Program Files/ directory. Is there an equivalent for Gentoo or Linux in general? How can I see what I have installed, what's running, etc?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPete wrote:
Oh come on!

I don't need something that explains what a mouse is and why it's important. I just need more noob friendly instructions so I can get the basics down.

An example; In Windows, I know all programs default to the /Program Files/ directory. Is there an equivalent for Gentoo or Linux in general? How can I see what I have installed, what's running, etc?

-see /bin or /usr/bin or /sbin or /usr/sbin or /opt/bin

-to see what's installed, you can read /var/lib/portage/world, but that will only show things you specifically asked for. (not including their dependencies, or packages pulled in by the "system" group.

hope this gets you started... some of this stuff might be in the handbook under "using portage".

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for checking what's running, 'top' is useful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: