Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Problem accessing cd-rom with wine (Morrowind)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Problem accessing cd-rom with wine (Morrowind) Reply with quote

I've recently just installed Morrowind on my system. It installed fine and everything, but now when I try to run it, it complains about not being able to find the cd.

I have tried setting it up to see /dev/cdrom as D:, and /mnt/cdrom with the cd mounted.

What else could I be missing, or what else can I do to get it to work?
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running 'winecfg' and running the 'autodetect' feature in the drives tab. Maybe something got mixed up?
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
Try running 'winecfg' and running the 'autodetect' feature in the drives tab. Maybe something got mixed up?

It defaults to /mnt/cdrom. I've tried setting it to /dev/cdrom to try and get it to read the drive itself, but it won't.

Is there a NoCD crack somewhere, or maybe a way to copy the .iso to see if it will run from that?
killertux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 ways to solve this

1. get no-cd fix.
2. Wine versions since 0.9.18 and up can use hald to totally autoconfigure cdrom drive letters and device nodes and device type... this might not however work in 64bit Gentoo system to test type WINEDEBUG=+explorer winecfg when you have the cd mounted.
3. set it up manually by making symlink d: in ~/.wine/dosdevices pointing to /mnt/cdrom and then device symlink named d:: pointing to /dev/cdrom and last configure device type as cdrom from winecfg for that device.

and before doing anything update to Wine 0.9.49 and (re)move old ~/.wine or use new WINEPREFIX.

Also note
-kernel bugs in some kernels might prevent copy protection from working or
-this bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10293
since the game uses SafeDisc version 2.51.021 (english) or 2.60.052 (german) as said in daemon-tools gamedb.
-SafeDisk 2.x might not work in Wine yeat some newer versions might work but updating the secdrv.sys might cause the bug I noted earlier.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killertux wrote:
3 ways to solve this

1. get no-cd fix.
2. Wine versions since 0.9.18 and up can use hald to totally autoconfigure cdrom drive letters and device nodes and device type... this might not however work in 64bit Gentoo system to test type WINEDEBUG=+explorer winecfg when you have the cd mounted.
3. set it up manually by making symlink d: in ~/.wine/dosdevices pointing to /mnt/cdrom and then device symlink named d:: pointing to /dev/cdrom and last configure device type as cdrom from winecfg for that device.

and before doing anything update to Wine 0.9.49 and (re)move old ~/.wine or use new WINEPREFIX.

Also note
-kernel bugs in some kernels might prevent copy protection from working or
-this bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10293
since the game uses SafeDisc version 2.51.021 (english) or 2.60.052 (german) as said in daemon-tools gamedb.
-SafeDisk 2.x might not work in Wine yeat some newer versions might work but updating the secdrv.sys might cause the bug I noted earlier.

I'll look into a no-cd "fix". I figure that should work, or at least I hope it does. If that fails, I'll update to a newer version of wine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: