~ installing games with multi-discs ~
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
primus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: ~ installing games with multi-discs ~ Reply with quote

hey all,

i am trying to install bladur's gate II which has four discs, and i was wondering how the process would go? do i swap the discs? but i cant umount them... says they are busy when the next dics is called for... also i tried copying them all to my hard drive, but when i ran the install it just kept asking for disks, like please point to disc1, disc2, disc3, disc4, disc5... but there is no disc5!!! i dont know what is going on... i am using winex20021123, any help would be appreciated. thanks!

$japh=qq/62D112U107N106E28D89U104N109E89 D86U96N102E14D77U87N106E96D12U68N95E98 D102U101N101E/;
map { $i++ while chop; push (@dune,$i); undef $i; } split /[eE]/;
map { print chr ${\(shift(@dune) + $_)}; } split /[DUNE]/,$japh;
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, realize that if anything is currently 'using' the directory (including just having a shell sitting in /mnt/cdrom), the device will always show up as busy. Some programs, you can get to work just by running the install from a directory other than /mnt/cdrom (like "cd ~; wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe"), but the best solution that I've found is autofs -- there's several threads on the forums about how to set it up, but basically what it is is a daemon that sits in memory and waits for something to access /mnt/cdrom -- when something does, it mounts (or tries to mount) the cdrom, and after a timeout period of not being accessed (default 5 minutes, but i turned mine down to 10 seconds), it un-mounts the device. I've gotten many multiple-cd games, including Diablo II, Soldier of Fortune 2, and EverCrack to install this way...search the forums for autofs, not only may it solve your problem, but it's a nifty way to auto-mount file systems as well ^_^
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you are running the install, but you are probably changing into the /mnt/cdrom directory to start the install, in which case, the system cannot unmount the CD. Try running the install from a different directory by using an absolute path:

Code:

winex /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

Also, the CD5 thing is a known problem with some Baldur's Gate 2 discs. It really wants CD1 or CD4 (can't remember which, though) again. You should be able to point to one of those 2 directories where you copied everything and the install should continue.

RagManX
primus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay , will give it a shot, when i did try to install, it seemed like it didnt even access the disks though, like it would jump right to disc2,3,4,5 and not read anything... i dont know what is going on, but when i did try to install from the cdrom, i did

Code:

cd /mnt/cdrom/
winex setup.exe &

this let me cd out of the directory, but it said it still would not unmount... i will try the absolute path, thanks for the replies...

$japh=qq/62D112U107N106E28D89U104N109E89 D86U96N102E14D77U87N106E96D12U68N95E98 D102U101N101E/;
map { $i++ while chop; push (@dune,$i); undef $i; } split /[eE]/;
map { print chr ${\(shift(@dune) + $_)}; } split /[DUNE]/,$japh;
MadEgg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better than AutoFS is supermount which doesn't care if the cd is still being accessed. You can always open the CD drive to switch the CD and it will be no problem at all, because the directory used is just an overlay over the CD filesystem, not the CD filesystem itself.
AOpen Aeolus GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR2
Creative Audigy2 ZS
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r7
nVidia-drivers version 9755
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I switched from supermount to AutoFS because supermount gave me that exact problem -- it *wouldn't* let me eject cd's, sometimes even after dropping out of X, killing every non-vital process, and shutting down every non-vital service... =P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: