Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installation and Portage Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Installation and Portage Questions Reply with quote

Hi,
Since the network I'm on has DHCP, setting up networking was a breeze. FTP and Rsync does not require a proxy but HTTP does. The Portage system cannot seem to download anything through HTTP even though the proxy:port has been specified in the "make.conf" file.

Also, this has brought up a "feature" of Portage that seems to need some rethinking.

For eg, when I did emerge "program-name" It checks for its dependencies and tries to download them and installs them. So hence some dependencies get installed as they are on an alternative FTP server somewhere and as soon as it can't download its first dependency on the ibiblio HTTP server, it aborts. So now I have installed a few of the dependencies which are probably going to be of no use to me. So it is essentially just junk now.

I think a better way for the Portage system to work would be do do the downloading all dependencies first before the installing.

Also, does portage have a history option (to look at the latest merged/unmerged programs) and does to have some options to query currently installed programs on the system ( like rpm -qa )

Does unmerge show dependencies that would break if a program is unmerged ?

These are first impressions of a Gentoo install or more precise, trying to install. I think Gentoo has a lot of potential to be the best it can be.

Keep up the good work
teon :twisted:
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation and Portage Questions Reply with quote

teon wrote:
The Portage system cannot seem to download anything through HTTP even though the proxy:port has been specified in the "make.conf" file.

Set your wget proxy appropriately in /etc/wget/wgetrc. man wget for more information

teon wrote:
I think a better way for the Portage system to work would be do do the downloading all dependencies first before the installing.

emerge -f <list of packages>

teon wrote:
Also, does portage have a history option (to look at the latest merged/unmerged programs)

Look in /var/db/pkg

teon wrote:
and does to have some options to query currently installed programs on the system ( like rpm -qa )

emerge epm

teon wrote:
Does unmerge show dependencies that would break if a program is unmerged ?

no.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving this thread to gentoo suggestions.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: