View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Linux, Gentoo and all, is about freedom Reply with quote

In keeping with the true spirit of Linux, that is to say, freedom of choice, I have decided to set Gentoo free. It is now free electrons, floating about the room.
I have heard great things about Gentoo. Stability, frugality of resources, flexibility, and the list of positive attributes goes on. Gentoo users have been quite vocal in defense of their favorite Linux distribution. And this is completely within the basic spirit of Linux, freedom of choice.
However, I have yet, after at least a dozen attempts, to get a completely successful install of this 2007.0 release. Gentoo could well be better than lox and eggs on a N.Y. bagel on a quiet Sunday morning, with my wife and lots of fresh coffee and plenty of bagels and cream-cheese to enjoy as we sip coffee and read the Sunday paper...... could be. I may never know. At least not with this problem-plagued release.
With all the faults attributed to rpm-based distributions, I have never, not once, experienced a failed install. Red Hat's anaconda installer just plain works. Debian, and its several off-spring, installs nearly as easily. Why is it, then, that installing Gentoo is somewhat akin to building a fine automobile from scratch ..... several large crates of parts, gadgets, widgets, nuts, bolts, screws and washers, all with completely arcane names and nomenclature, and vague and sometimes incomplete assembly instructions?
There! I have vented!
Respond, if you choose! I may or may not come back to see if anyone has. As fans of my favorite loosing baseball team, the Cubs, say every fall, "Maybe next year!"

owa
Habbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... maybe you could tell us what has failed so we can try to provide you with some help? By the way, as unnerving as this might sound, do _not_ use the Gentoo installers - as of 2007.0 they are too alpha to be effectively used: follow the Handbook and you will be happy, go GTK+ and you will cry.
EB FD   jmp $-3
Dagger
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo :D

If you believe installation was pain, that... oh well the system itself ain't any easier. But its good, because that allow you to learn how it works, and how to solve the problems rather than just bitch when something is screwed and you can't do anything about it. One of the best side of this distribution is gentoo community. A lot of people who are constantly watching the forums and do their best to help people who has problems.

To make your life easier I would recommend you a Gentoo Handbook. You can find it here.
I know it's not the answer for all your problems, but its a good start.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux, Gentoo and all, is about freedom Reply with quote

owa wrote:
I have yet, after at least a dozen attempts, to get a completely successful install of this 2007.0 release.

Unlike many other distros, Gentoo does not have releases. It is as current as the day you install or update it.

The Gentoo CDs and DVDs are released a couple of times a year, and they work for some people, and not for others. This is probably what is giving you the bad impression of Gentoo.

The good news is that a Gentoo installation is in no way tied to the installation media. For me, installing Gentoo involves booting a Knoppix or Ubuntu CD, and then following the normal Gentoo installation instructions from there.
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagger wrote:

If you believe installation was pain, that... oh well the system itself ain't any easier. But its good, because that allow you to learn how it works, and how to solve the problems rather than just bitch when something is screwed and you can't do anything about it.

Even though I chuckled about the joke at the ricer page about "because watching shit scroll by for hours really teaches you Linux" there is some truth to it.
prague14
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point in using a distro like gentoo is to find out exactly how things work. While this community will never attract the "just make my shit work" crowd, my opinion is that gentoo devs should stop wasting time trying to put out "releases" which just piss off potential users when they don't work - this seems to be a serious issue with the Live(C|DV)Ds.
FcukThisGame
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habbit wrote:
Er... maybe you could tell us what has failed so we can try to provide you with some help? By the way, as unnerving as this might sound, do _not_ use the Gentoo installers - as of 2007.0 they are too alpha to be effectively used: follow the Handbook and you will be happy, go GTK+ and you will cry.

++

Installed 2007.0 from the GTK+ installer on my laptop, and it set my CHOST at i486 instead of i686

DESKTOP:
i7-3770K|8800GTS-512|32GB|1x256GB SSD|4x1TB|HD/BDROM|1920x1200+1680x1050
Win8 Pro w/ Hyper-V|Server 2012 VM|Ubuntu VM|Gentoo VM

TABLET: Samsung Ativ 700t
i5-3317U|4GB|128GB SSD|1920x1080 Touch
Win8
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Linux, Gentoo and all, is about freedom Reply with quote

owa wrote:
Why is it, then, that installing Gentoo is somewhat akin to building a fine automobile from scratch ..... several large crates of parts, gadgets, widgets, nuts, bolts, screws and washers, all with completely arcane names and nomenclature, and vague and sometimes incomplete assembly instructions?

I don't follow you. There are many thousands of distros out there that just work, like you say. No need to transform gentoo into another one.

If what you want is a Mandriva named "Gentoo", then you just ought to use Mandriva. There's no sense at all on that words.

As you say, it is all about choice. Maybe Gentoo is just not for you. To use Gentoo you need to make a lot of choices. To use an rpm based distro you just need to choose when are you going to click "Next". Much like in a (in)famous OS. The choice is yours, even if you choice not to choose.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that, at times, Gentoo can be frustrating, but those frustrations are inevitable with such a powerful, customizable distro. Also, those frustrations have a hidden benefit of forcing the user to find solutions and gain understanding as a byproduct therein. As i92guboj stated, there are plenty of distributions out there that are quick, simple installations, but they have drawbacks as well. Linux truly is about choice, and you need to figure out what it is that is important to you in an operating system, and base your choice distribution on those factors.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how in the world does the title of thread correspond to the content the OP's post?

mod's would be better to move this to the dustbin then to GC.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux, Gentoo and all, is about freedom Reply with quote

owa wrote:
In keeping with the true spirit of Linux, that is to say, freedom of choice, I have decided to set Gentoo free. It is now free electrons, floating about the room.

You microwaved the CD didn't you? :shock:

:mrgreen:

But yeah, Gentoo is not an 'easy' distro - There are plenty of those out there already (I like the *buntu ones :))

It is, however, good for learning, and like most learning it takes time - The only good way to install it is using the Hand Book... and it takes time ;)
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's cool about the gentoo install is that you can pretty much put any livecd into your computer and install it. I installed my Gentoo box from an Ubuntu LiveCD. I doubt you can install Ubuntu from any other livecd as easily. Gentoo has its pros and cons.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed xmms2 and gxmms2 client from source via overlay-ebuild and runs very smooth.

I think I have enough freedom here and if you ask for any packages you are ask to engage and not switch the Distro :D
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

(someone had to say it)
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy... the docs take such good care of you on an install that, unless you are using some pretty exotic hardware, you should be able to get a system up and running without any problems. If there is one thing that Gentoo is famous for, above and beyond its leanness and flexibility, is its documentation.

Yes, it is trickier than clicking "next"-"next"-"next..." on a RH or Ubuntu install, but if you follow the docs to the letter, you should be fine. They put a lot of work into the Gentoo Handbook, and the steps are broken down to painfully small bits. I question whether or not you are short-cutting the the docs... If that is the case, you should (R)eally (T)ry (F)inding (M)ore about it... ;)

Gentoo is also renowned for its fine community base. It would be wiser to try to take advantage of that for something more than flaming. ;)

Give it another try, when you have the time for it. Most people get frustrated simply because they don't account for the learning curve or compile time. When you get stuck, ask for help. Most of us are pretty nice!

Last edited by grooveman on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the OP is gone at this point (this was the last post made), but I have to say that 'Gentoo isn't for everybody' applies here. It is the only distro of it's kind out there, but I don't think people realize that it takes a good deal more effort to set up than the others. I think Ubuntu is the better choice for people who don't have (or care to spend) the time it it takes to get a gentoo system up and running (and it's not that much, but for some people it's too much). Once you are past the install, that's where you begin to really appreciate this distro for what it is, assuming you like and want the kind of power and responsibility in places in your hands. For those that can't/won't make it past the install, they probably would not appreciate what Gentoo offers anyway.
theethicalatheist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really why the live CDs should be taken down. All they do is allow new users to get a bad impression of Gentoo. The GTK installer is atrocious, and all it does is discourage potential users. Keep the standard minimal ISOs around, but ditch the installer until it can function reliably.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I think the installation GUI should be there. There was a working version once upon a time I remember but the newer stuff is horrible.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
hujuice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot your favorite rmp/apt Linux (dead or alive).
Cook your favorite partitions.
Untar some cute tool.
Chroot in the Gentoo world!

What's more friendly?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml?desc=1

HUjuice
Thargor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the installer isn't a bad idea. It should just be done right and I do not think, that shipping a at least half broken (or completely broken? :evil: ) piece of software on the official livecd as the preferred installation method...
AND I think, that it was a very stupid idea to prefer a livecd with X11 and gnome and whatever over the stage archives, which you definitely need to install gentoo.
IMO, the best way would be something like a ncurses or dialog installer, so that there is enough space for stages and portage-snapshots. AND the installer should be rockstable, before making it the official installation method.

(Note, that I'm not against everything X11 related. On a dvd, it would be a nice thing, but removing the stages in favor of such an unneeded thing is just stupid...)
achimh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi owa!

i fully unterstand you, gentoo is not that easy even when you have used linux for some time, you have to put quite some time into installing and configuring your gentoo system

what i really can't understand why you just post your frustration and you won't even come back and look at the responses you clearly are receiving. it's just a little bit arrogant...

difficulties and problems are bound to occur when you are new to gentoo, but for these there is this forum and the friendly gentoo users to help you out
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I agree that the GUI-based installers should be removed. When I was starting out with Gentoo, I firstly used one of the GUIs and almost didn't even give the minimal installation disc a try. I was too frustrated with how poorly the GTK+ based installer performed that I nearly switched distros without even giving it another try. I'm really glad that I didn't, because Gentoo is the perfect flavour for me. As stated, this is my personal opinion. :)
owa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I want to apologize if my original post seemed arrogant. I just needed to vent .... ref this recent reply to my post;
hi owa!

i fully unterstand you, gentoo is not that easy even when you have used linux for some time, you have to put quite some time into installing and configuring your gentoo system

what i really can't understand why you just post your frustration and you won't even come back and look at the responses you clearly are receiving. it's just a little bit arrogant...

difficulties and problems are bound to occur when you are new to gentoo, but for these there is this forum and the friendly gentoo users to help you out

I didn't get back to this post to respond because I had tons of stuff to do, and my wife already refers to my computer as "the Slut!" Then, when I did return, it had been moved, and I didn't have the time to search for it till this morning.

As an update, I am a succer for a challenge, and definetly prefer to slog things out by reading and studying. Anyway, I tried, once more, from the top, with feeling, as my band leader used to say, and I now have Gentoo up and running, complete with gnome, seamonkey, and nearly all the stuff I have and use on my CentOS 5 installation. When completed, as nearly like the CentOS 5 as I can make it, I'll give Gentoo a good long test drive.

I did enjoy and appreciate the many responses to this post, and, again, apologize if my delay in returning seemed rude or arrogant.

I have nothing at all against either "point-and-click" installers or command-line installations. Just for drill, I even installed this last, and successful try with Gentoo, completely from command-line, chrooted from my running installation of CentOS 5. That way, I could continue with the installation in the background, and still use the computer for other things, like work, and earning my bread.

Thanks all,

owa
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owa - Glad to hear about a happy ending. Welcome aboard.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: