Convert mythtv mpg to divx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Convert mythtv mpg to divx Reply with quote

I have a fully functioning mythtv box, but my hard drive space is somewhat limited. I would like a script that will convert the large (2.2gb per hour) mpg files to divx or something equivalently small.
I can write a script to get the conversion all done, but what I don't know is how to get the tv show name from the file. Currently it is a bunch of numbers ending in .mpg. I know part of the number means the date, but is there a way to decode the rest in a way that would fit in a script? Or, is there something that someone has already done that I'm overlooking? I did a quick search on google, the gentoo forums as well as gentoo-wiki, and mythtv.org, but I'm coming up with nothing.
Any links that I missed or suggestions?

Thanks,

dpl
mar_rud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at nuvexport.
It's a bunch of perl scripts to convert episodes from mythtv to multiple video formats (xvid,divx,dvd,vcd,...). Unfortunately, latest version of ffmpeg has some changes not handled by nuvexport and exporting do xvid doesn't work (unknown codec), but You can look into scripts, as there is what You want (episode names etc.).
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mythtranscode is built into myth, and would achieve part of what you're looking for. You can cut out commercials marked by the commercial flagger, or by putting in flags of your own and then transcode them to MPEG4, which makes things much smaller in my case. Animated half hour shows go down to about 400MB, full hour live-action shows generally end up as about 950MB.

It all depends on the settings though, check out the Removing Commercials page on the MythTv Wiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: