Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] how to use bluetooth hid devices ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordManta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: [Solved] how to use bluetooth hid devices ? Reply with quote

Sorry if it's a noob question but I'm looking for a good tutorial explaining how to use bluetooth services on gentoo with bluez 3.22 ?
I have seen many tutorial to connect a bt mouse but non are working for me. They all made extensive use of hidd script which no longer exist in the version 3 of bluez.
So I can use my mighty mouse handled by openfirmware but every time I start using bluetooth services I loose the connection and I 'm unable to restore it withoot rebooting. Anyway, the openfirmware is not sufficient as the scroll wheel doesn't work.
I'm able to work with a Wiimote so I think I have no problem on my 2.6.23 kernel configuration. but hidp module seems to not be automatically loaded when starting bluetooth services I don't understand why.

Thanks for help,[/code]

Last edited by LordManta on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drikus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Question, endeavoring into this matter as well trying to connect the PS3 BT controller. Haven't used BT before in linux so breaking new ground here. Can't find anything human readable docs about bluez 3.0 without hidd. But your progress is better then mine, i can't even get the device detected. :D
LordManta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I said I can get it attached because under OS X I have paired the device and so open firmware has a minimal driver that handle the mouse during the boot. But when I try to start the bluetooth services under Linux I loose the mouse while switching the on board bluetooth module to hci mode. Then trying to scan the mouse with :
Code:
hcitool scan
I get limited success : I can only detect it when switching it off then immediately on. Then if let it on in that state the mouse goes into sleep mode and is no more detectable. I suspect this is due to the pairing under OSX under Linux the bluetooth module in HCI mode probably doesn't identify itself correctly so the mouse doesn't respond. Probably you have the same problem with your controller if it has been already paired with another device. You have to redo a pairing with the controller when it is restarted (after the initialization phase the controller will only respond to the paired device). But here comes our main problem : How can we proceed to th pairing under bluez util 3.xx without the hidd script ?
Drikus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/bluetooth-guide.xml
Drikus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

browsing to the code for enablement for the ps3 sixaxis I found this in the hidp module.
Code:

static void hidp_close(struct hid_device *hid)
{
}

static const struct {
   __u16 idVendor;
   __u16 idProduct;
   unsigned quirks;
} hidp_blacklist[] = {
   /* Apple wireless Mighty Mouse */
   { 0x05ac, 0x030c, HID_QUIRK_MIGHTYMOUSE | HID_QUIRK_INVERT_HWHEEL },

{ }   /* Terminating entry */
};

You are refering to OS X so maybe you are using this mouse. If so they could have add a print to inform the user... :evil:

Good luck
LordManta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help,

I have already read the bluetooth guide for gentoo and it doesn't help as it doesn't covers the connection to hidd devices. All the tutorials I found till now are using the hidd script...

I have also noticed the module in the hidp module. But the module seems not be loaded when starting the bluetooth service and even if I load it by hand it doesn't help as I don't know how to connect the hid device (and your right I use the bluetooth Mighty Mouse ;) ...)
LordManta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally,

I found something which works here :
[url]
http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/InputDevices
[/url]

I don't understand why I need dbus for that... but it works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: