Module question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Module question Reply with quote

I'm at the part in the install where I specify modules to be loaded during startup.

The guide gives an example for a 3com card, (I don't have one) I have no idea what module is currently loaded by the installation but it's working so I'd like to use it. Is there a way I can tell ?

I also chose to biuld the VIAXXX something into the kernel, I checked and it matches my sound card, do I need to do anything with a module for it ?

Can anyone suggest other modules and such I should load ?

Thanks,

Jason Levens
Jeff Binder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 'lsmod' to see what modules are currently loaded. You can also load more modules on the spot using the 'modprobe' command.

If something is compiled into the kernel, there is no module for it, and no need to put anything in modules.autoload. If you didn't specify that any options in the kernel be built as modules, there are no modules. (Actually, there is one module called 'dummy' that I believe is selected by default. No need to load this, though.)

Usually it's better to just compile your network card and such into the kernel so you don't have to deal with modules. You should keep module support, though, because most drivers that are installed seperately from the kernel itself (like the nvidia drivers) are modules.
jlevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I saw via-rhine module loaded and it also currently exists in the
.....kernel/drivers/net folder. if I didn't select this to be loaded as a module when I compiled the kernel, can I do this later ?

thanks
Jeff Binder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the kernel/drivers/net directory on your hard drive or on the CD?

If it's the one on your hard drive then it is compiled as a module. If it's not compiled as a module, then the file wouldn't be there.

If you have the driver compiled in the kernel but not as a module, you don't have to do anything. It's part of the kernel, and it'll be running when you boot your system.

If you want to change anthing about how your kernel is set up, you can always recompile it later. The process is pretty much the same as it is the first time. When you get to copying the arch/i386/boot/bzImage file to /boot, just make sure you remember to mount /boot first.

Also, you can run
Code:
modprobe -l '*'
to list all of the available modules.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: