mozilla-firefox-3 beta1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: mozilla-firefox-3 beta1 Reply with quote

I just emerged the first beta from the mozilla-overlay and it works great! No crashes so far, page rendering happens definitely faster than with firefox-2* (almost an Opera kind of slick) and the new page zoom feature is nice. It seems to draw a considerable bit more CPU power though, as I get stuttering sound when loading pages - on a low-frequency kernel for my notebook though. I hope that gets sorted out soon, but I think I can give my recommendations to try it out! :)

Unfortunately I never looked up the memory footprint of firefox-2 so I can't compare with the new version, but so far it feels like a better Linux experience with firefox than before.
karafeka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please post a link to mozilla-overlay?
Poe
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-556225.html
here you are.
RLU#342333
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or

'layman -a mozilla'

;)
mjrosenb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just installed the beta from the mozilla overlay, and the rendering engine seems a bit on the broken side. everything is displayed about two times as large as it should be, including tabs, menus, the favicons, and the google/wiki logo in the speed search bar. I've poked around in about:config, but I haven't found anything that looks like it'll be helpful. I also didn't have any of these problems with ff2.0.0.[0-9]. Any ideas?
2x dual proc i386 w/dragonfly bsd
1x x86-64 desktop w/ Gentoo
1x i386 desktop w/ FreeBSD
1x alpha workstation w/ Gentoo
looking for more
Genewb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this deserves a topic of its own:

Has anyone managed to merge nspr of late? I consistently get this:
Code:
>>> Unpacking nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016/work
/usr/portage/local/layman/mozilla/dev-libs/nspr/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016.ebuild: line 20: cd: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016/work/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016: No such file or directory
 * Applying nspr-4.6.1-config.patch ...                                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * Applying nspr-4.6.1-config-1.patch ...                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * Applying nspr-4.6.1-lang.patch ...                                                                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Applying nspr-4.7.0-prtime.patch ...                                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016 ...
/usr/portage/local/layman/mozilla/dev-libs/nspr/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016.ebuild: line 29: cd: /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016/work/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016/build: No such file or directory
 * ERROR: dev-libs/nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *                       ebuild.sh, line 1701:  Called dyn_compile
 *                       ebuild.sh, line 1039:  Called qa_call 'src_compile'
 *                       ebuild.sh, line   44:  Called src_compile
 *   nspr-4.7.0_pre20071016.ebuild, line   43:  Called econf '--disable-debug' '--enable-64bit' '--libdir=/usr/lib64/nspr'
 *                       ebuild.sh, line  643:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         die "no configure script found"
 *  The die message:
 *   no configure script found

Edit:
I think it was after this overlay revision. I suppose I'll just revert my local copy, but it'd be nice to know why that's not working.

Edit No.2:
Speak of the proverbial devil, it's been fixed.
maltheus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been having problems with web pages rendering properly. Unfortunately, these pages are password protected, so I can't provide any example links. But I'm seeing problems with drop down lists coming up empty (rendering or javascript possibly? not sure). Plus the new drop down widget is just plain ugly. GTK, I'm sure. I'd actually pay $50 for a KDE line of firefox at this point (not to knock those of you who like GTK). Konqueror is ok, but I always end up reverting back to firefox for one reason or another. Still, I think I'm gonna downgrade until 3.0 is a little less betaey and the plugins are there. Damn, I didn't even realize I had it in my keywords file until just now. I had been wondering why it had been released into stable given the problems. Duh on me.
estar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maltheus wrote:
Plus the new drop down widget is just plain ugly. GTK, I'm sure.
It’s the miracle of native theming. :) Have you tried using it with x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt or something like that?
GOTTMODUS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to build the overlay version in the /opt directory, for testing only?
maltheus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estar wrote:
Have you tried using it with x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt or something like that?

No I hadn't. Thanks for that tip. It didn't fix the firefox 3.0 crappy drop-down list (with the button color background), but it did make Thunderbird and Pidgin look much nicer. Now if only Thunderbird would let me move from line to line, without jumping to the start or end of a line during e-mail composition, I'd be set (probably not a gtk issue though).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: