make.conf says -O3 but kernel compiles with -O2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: make.conf says -O3 but kernel compiles with -O2 Reply with quote

My CFLAGS in make.conf contains "-O3". The full bootstrap process compiled with "-O3".

Still, the kernel compile insists on using "-O2".

'tis "working as designed"?

If so, why?

If not, how do I correct this?

Gus
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel has its own set of CFLAGS.
/usr/src/linux/Makefile wrote:
HOSTCFLAGS = -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
DrkPlague
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is done for a reason. certain things such as the kernal and heavily used libs like glibc specify their own cflags to achieve what they consider to be optimal performance.

Also, i am pretty sure that specifying -O3 on kernel would prevent ANY debugging of programs, which is probably a bad idea. my advice is that the flags were put there for a reason and unless you are a kernel dev, don't touch them.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't...
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, messing with kernel optimizations is bad, m'kay? If you try and optimize your kernel with -O3, you're bad, m'kay? :roll:

Seriously though, your kernel is the foundation of your system - why mess with it's stability? How's that stupid christian children's song go - the wise man built his house upon the mid optimized but quick and rock solid kernel, the foolish man built his house upon a highly optimized but memory-leaky and flaky kernel. Wait - maybe it doesn't go like that.. But then again, I'm not a christian (and I think you get the point.)

And -O3 *shouldn't* stop you from debugging, that's generally in the hands of -fomit-frame-pointer, but I could be wrong in this case.

M
DigitalP1mp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: What's it all mean Bazil? Reply with quote

What's the -02 and the -03 all about. I'm at the point where I need to set my flags now and want to set them correctly. I have an AMD k-6-2 with a 400 mhZ processor.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's it all mean Bazil? Reply with quote

DigitalP1mp wrote:
What's the -02 and the -03 all about. I'm at the point where I need to set my flags now and want to set them correctly. I have an AMD k-6-2 with a 400 mhZ processor.

First of all, is -O[n], big, fat, "o", NOT a "zero".

Basically they specify the optimization level, more infos in various threads in these forums, man gcc or google.

About your system, I suggest to here. There is also a script that attemps to identify the adeguate CFLAGS for your system if you want to try. :wink:

BTW since this is unrelated with the topic, start a new thread and even better search before, there are a lot of threads about CFLAGS. :wink:
darket
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kernel might be using O2 instead of O3 because O3 increases the size of the binary, AFAIK. Or I'm completely off ;-)

For the K6-2: I would use -Os, because that uses all optimizations from O2 without a few to get a small binary - which appears to be better, because of the small on-die cache (L1 only) and the rather slow onboard-L2-Cache. Apart from that, look there:
http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html
DrkPlague
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes -fomit-frame-pointer completely kills debugging, but -finline-functions (added by -O3) on the kernel and glibc REALLY reak havok on debugging since most function calls made to the kernel or glibc are near impossible to trace.

For those who don't understand what -O does, here it is strait from the horses mouth:
man gcc wrote:
-O1
Optimize. Optimizing compilation takes somewhat more time, and a lot more memory for a large function.

Without `-O ', the compiler's goal is to reduce the cost of compilation and to make debugging produce the expected results. Statements are independent: if you stop the program with a breakpoint between statements, you can then assign a new value to any variable or change the program counter to any other statement in the function and get exactly the results you would expect from the source code.
Without `-O ', only variables declared register are allocated in registers. The resulting compiled code is a little worse than produced by PCC without `-O '.
With `-O ', the compiler tries to reduce code size and execution time.
When you specify `-O ', the two options `-fthread-jumps ' and `-fdefer-pop ' are turned on. On machines that have delay slots, the `-fdelayed-branch ' option is turned on. For those machines that can support debugging even without a frame pointer, the `-fomit-frame-pointer ' option is turned on. On some machines other flags may also be turned on.

-O2
Optimize even more. Nearly all supported optimizations that do not involve a space-speed tradeoff are performed. Loop unrolling and function inlining are not done, for example. As compared to -O , this option increases both compilation time and the performance of the generated code.
-O3
Optimize yet more. This turns on everything -O2 does, along with also turning on -finline-functions.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: