View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Shutdown/Restart Options gone in KDE Reply with quote

I recently ran
Code:
 emerge world -eDv
on my AMD64 box. It finished fine, but I no longer have the options to shutdown or reboot the computer when I click "logout" from the menu. The only option that I have is to "End Current Session". I have tried running
Code:
revdep-rebuild
but to no avail. Does anyone know what I need to re-emerge or what I need to edit so that I have the shutdown options back? Thanks.

Last edited by RBJ1128 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that kdm isn't running? Because you can only shutdown/reboot with kdm, if I start kde without xdm (kdm) i can only close the session and not shutdown the computer.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok wrote:
Is it possible that kdm isn't running? Because you can only shutdown/reboot with kdm, if I start kde without xdm (kdm) i can only close the session and not shutdown the computer.

I have xdm set to start at the default runlevel, and I use gdm as the login manager. This is how I have done it for a few years now, and I cannot seem to identify any upgrade that would cause this to occur.
tdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, compiz? Beryl? I had the same issue after I installed compiz on my different box. This seems to be related to the way compiz works .. after logging in via kdm/gdm/xdm the controls are passed to Xgl, whichs runs one 'level' above the standard X server, meaning you have to quit your compiz desktop and get back one level down (to k/g/xdm) to be able to shutdown or reboot. (if you check pstree you should see what I mean).

Just an idea, actually, I doubt ..
Code:
emerge world -eDv

.. would cause all that. But I guess it's always better to know..
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdev wrote:
Hmm, compiz? Beryl? I had the same issue after I installed compiz on my different box. This seems to be related to the way compiz works .. after logging in via kdm/gdm/xdm the controls are passed to Xgl, whichs runs one 'level' above the standard X server, meaning you have to quit your compiz desktop and get back one level down (to k/g/xdm) to be able to shutdown or reboot. (if you check pstree you should see what I mean).

I did install Compiz earlier, but after it switched some settings on me I removed it. I followed http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org/Compiz_Fusion to install it, and I just followed the same thing in reverse, deleting the files that I had to create, along the way.[/url]
tdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like you can rule out compiz. No idea about other causes, but it seems it's a common problem nowadays.. For now I guess you'll have to use ..
Code:
su -c 'shutdown -h now'

.. on the terminal instead. Not the ultimate solution but at least it's faster than logging off and shutting down.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdev wrote:
So it looks like you can rule out compiz. No idea about other causes, but it seems it's a common problem nowadays.. For now I guess you'll have to use ..
Code:
su -c 'shutdown -h now'

.. on the terminal instead. Not the ultimate solution but at least it's faster than logging off and shutting down.

I switched from gdm to kdm and the options are back. I am going to try to switch back to gdm later today or tomorrow and see what happens.
RBJ1128
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdev wrote:
Code:
su -c 'shutdown -h now'

So I tried going back to gdm and the shutdown options vanished again. Currently, I am running kdm instead and all seems to be well.
samallica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So I tried going back to gdm and the shutdown options vanished again. Currently, I am running kdm instead and all seems to be well.

you could try https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-619799-highlight-kde+gdm.html if you wish.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: