gnome 2.20 and compiz?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: gnome 2.20 and compiz? Reply with quote

It appears the gnome 2.20 upgrade did something nasty to my compiz setup.

Any of the compiz start methods at http://gentoo-wiki.com/Compiz (compiz-decorator script, /etc/env.d/99local, compiz-start,
autostart desktop files) have the same effect: running compiz and gtk-window-decorator, but no window decorations. The only way out is metacity --replace.

Code:

$ bin/compiz-decorator
[1]+  Done                    metacity --replace
$ ps -ef |grep compiz
user  5303     1  3 01:58 pts/0    00:00:00 compiz --replace gconf
user  5313  4617  0 01:58 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto compiz
$ ps -ef |grep gtk   
user  5308     1  0 01:58 pts/0    00:00:00 gtk-window-decorator --replace
user  5317  4617  0 01:58 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --colour=auto gtk

Any advice?
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does emerald work? gnome-2.20 + compiz-fusion-0.6.0(emerald) is working fine using fusion-icon to start it.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing gtk-window-decorator with emerald has no visible effect, and I cannot find fusion-icon in stable.

Code:

# emerge -p fusion-icon

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies -
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "fusion-icon".

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at xeffects or sabayon overlay they should contain the needed apps

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
LunX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a revdep-rebuild? Thats rebuild compiz, emerald and some other stuff. After the update i rebuild all the compiz stuff and it's work fine.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a revdep-rebuild after the upgrade, it became necessary due to dependencies on the previous libwnck.
Now I rebuilt all compiz-related packages, but the problem persists.
fidel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar or even the same problems, no way found to fix it so far. I had beryl running smoothly and well for a quite long time, yesterday I updated my desktop, had to find out beryl is gone and went on by following the guide on http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_compiz-fusion.
Now I don't get any window borders and I can't even get back to "normal" gnome start. I removed /etc/env.d/99local again (wasn't there before) and changed back the lines in /usr/bin/gnome-wm from ccp to gconf. Whenever I start my gnome session, compiz tries to start but doesn't work (for instance I can't switch between windows using ALT+TAB) and the windows don't have borders. I always need to $ metacity --replace when I enter my gnome session (there is nothing related in my session settings). With beryl I never had such pain! If I could, I would change back, of course not, if I could get compiz to run smoothly. Besides I noticed that the only version of fusion-icon I could emerge is 9999 which is hard masked. I therefore skipped it. I also noticed, that compiz-fusion has a useflag "unsupported", do I need this?
After upgrading, removing beryl packages and installing compiz-fusion I ran revdep-rebuild until no more packages have been found. Then I re-emerged all the compiz packages (twice until now) and the thins still stay the same.
I appreciate any help on this and would really like to have a shiny beautiful desktop back again...
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same here. I re-emerged all the compiz packages (but have been unable to find
the fusion-icon package?) and followed the same compiz-fusion guide. Got a bit further in that
some funny (emerald-themed?) window borders appeared, but they were inactive, i.e. non-dragable.
They appear to be controlled by ccsm Effects/Window decoration.

Before the gnome upgrade, I was running compiz, not fusion. Now it's back to metacity ...
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Nell wrote:
Pretty much the same here. I re-emerged all the compiz packages (but have been unable to find
the fusion-icon package?) and followed the same compiz-fusion guide. Got a bit further in that
some funny (emerald-themed?) window borders appeared, but they were inactive, i.e. non-dragable.
They appear to be controlled by ccsm Effects/Window decoration.

Before the gnome upgrade, I was running compiz, not fusion. Now it's back to metacity ...

compiz-fusion literally is compiz, just with a bunch of peripheral plugins.

if the window borders were active, in the way you describe, it may be because the Move plugin was not enabled in ccsm. I think I've had this occur randomly on some upgrade of c-f.

fusion-icon, afaik, only in the xeffects overlay. or...
http://websvn.gentoo-xeffects.org/filedetails.php?repname=Gentoo+Xeffects&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fx11-apps%2Ffusion-icon%2Ffusion-icon-9999.ebuild&rev=186&sc=1&isdir=0

Code:
user host portage $ cd /usr/local/portage/x11-apps/fusion-icon/
user host fusion-icon $ vi fusion-icon-9999.ebuild
user host fusion-icon $ ebuild fusion-icon-9999.ebuild digest
>>> Creating Manifest for /usr/local/portage/x11-apps/fusion-icon
user host fusion-icon $ echo "x11-apps/fusion-icon **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
user host fusion-icon $ e fusion-icon
fidel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got there! Uff! After some re-emerging (now it was just panically emerging compiz stuff again, emerge deplcean, revdep-rebuild, emerge -uDN world ..... don't remember what it was after all) I get gtk-window-decorator finally to do something! The borders appear and everything seems to work well.
jonnevers wrote:
if the window borders were active, in the way you describe, it may be because the Move plugin was not enabled in ccsm.

Indeed! A whole lot of stuff is deactivated in ccsm by default. The same reason for my problem before, that I cannot switch between windows with Alt+Tab, I only needed to activate the Application Switcher...
I think some options should be set by default, doesn't anybody want to be able to switch between apps with Alt+Tab?... Doesn't anybody want to be able to resize windows and so on? Or is it my fault for not starting compiz correctly?
Thanks! That was of great help!
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] gnome 2.20 and compiz? Reply with quote

Solved here, too! The key was re-enabling everything in ccsm ...

Don't like the emerald themes much, so I'm going back to gtk-decorator.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: