Good news and bad news.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Good news and bad news. Reply with quote

Hi, well at last I've had a little luck and managed to install Gentoo. But now when I run lilo I get an error message saying

Code:
Warning:Init 013 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sector geometries for bios drive 0x00
fn 08: 1024 cylanders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
fn 48: 59131 cylanders, 16 heads, 255 sectors

Does anyone know hat this means? Is it anything to do with not initialising the first 1024 cylanders of my disk? I did it once before in an aborted attempt to install gentoo, so I didn't think I needed to do it again. Also I get a load (well about 5) error messages about various modules/components not loading during boot. They move too fast for me to see properly, so is there a log file somewhere I can look at to see what's happening? I'm using metalog.

I'm sorry if this post is a tad messed up, I'm using lynx so I can't see how its formatted right now. If anyone has trouble reading it I will try to fix it.

All replys are very welcome.
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: any reason you can't use grub? It's superior in many ways.

I seem to remember this as a non-problem in an old debian install of mine; one of those weird bootloader bugs that sounds horrific and actually isn't a problem at all - although you shouldn't necessarily take my word for it.

The boot-time messages from the kernel can be viewed using dmesg; logs are in /var/log/everything/current - without more information, the rest is hard to troubleshoot.

~Mac~
keratos68
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMasta wrote:
First: any reason you can't use grub? It's superior in many ways.

I seem to remember this as a non-problem in an old debian install of mine; one of those weird bootloader bugs that sounds horrific and actually isn't a problem at all - although you shouldn't necessarily take my word for it.

The boot-time messages from the kernel can be viewed using dmesg; logs are in /var/log/everything/current - without more information, the rest is hard to troubleshoot.

~Mac~

not a helpful reply...so why are there so many problems with GRUB?? Nothing wrong with LILO , is does the job and has been around for a long time , thus gaining maturity and stability. In some respect it is "far superior" than GRUB. It comes down to matter of preference and solution to ones requirements. Flexibility and options .... that is truly a characterstic of LINUX!

raid517...how are you addressing the disk in the BIOS (LBA,LARGE etc.) and how are you addressing it in LILO (compact, LBA etc). Post /etc/lilo.conf please.

...and that's when they said they were wrong!!
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if lilo's having issues, why not grub?

Anyway, this most likely isn't a bootloader issue, and we need to know more before we can take on other problems.

~Mac~
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, well personally I don't care which bootloader I use, I trust you will forgive me for thinking that overall this is pretty much irrelevant. In answer to the question however, I will say I used lilo, becuase i couldn't get Grub to install properly, call it inexperience, call it a symptpm of what I havedescribed above, I really don't know. But the bottom line was, lilo worked where grub diddn't.

Both in the bios and in lilo, I'm addressing my disks with lba, I will try some other settings, but I'm not certain if this is the problem. In literal terms however, does anybody know what this message is saying? The disk is nothing special, just an ordinary 120 Gig IBM deskstar (fairly common these days). It is also disk two of two. So is this even the disk lilo is talking about?
If the disk is bade or something I will buy another disk to fix it

Your input is invaluable.

Thanks again.

Q

Last edited by raid517 on Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, - and what about that boot log file? Where am I likely to find that? If I could find that I could post the relevant parts here.

Thanks once again.

Q
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message basically says that the BIOS is reporting a geometry (1024 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors) and the system another (59131 cylinders, 16 heads, 255 sectors)

It might be that your BIOS is old and cannot count cylinders above the 1024 one? For the BIOS your disk is a 8.4GB one (1024*255*63*512K=~8.4GB) typical for old BIOS'es.

If this is the case you might be interested in the Large Disk HOWTO.

If not check that you have not set the geometry by hand somewhere in the BIOS or in the LILO configuration.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Well I certainly haven't altered anything by hand. I simply copied the lilo config file from the install instructions and changed it to point to my kernel /boot/bxImage and to my / directoty, hdb3. I just checked my bios and lilio config, both are marked as LBA. My motherboard is a KT400A, so in terms of newness, that's possibly about as new as you can get. My drives are however fairly large, I have a total of about 360GB 2x internal and 1x external. So if there is something I need to do in Gentoo to get it to work properly with these disks I'd be very keen to know.

Again if I could just see a full log of the boot up process maybe I could get a better clue what's going on Does metalog write a file like this anywhere?

Q
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read the how to. I didn't spot it originally as I'm still finding my way around lynx. Unfortunately that's more information than I ever cared to know about Harddisk geometry. Perhaps the answer is in there somewhere, but to be honset, most of it just sounds like double dutch to me. I am sadly, not very technically minded. In any case I know from experience that modern versions of Linux should be able to handle these disks without difficulty. Indeed reading this guide confirms this and highlights the point that it is only in some certain unusual circumstances that this might not be the case. I can't say for sure, but I shouldn't think my set up is all that unusual. I have an Athlon XP 2600+, a VIA KT400A motherboard, 512MB DDR 400. So all in all a fairly bog standard everyday set-up. Modern, yes, fast reasonably, unusual... I shouldn't expect so, although perhaps someone could correct me? If anybody has a suggestion or an idea about what might be going on and/or how to fix it, I would be very grateful.

FYI, when I do look in the bios, this is what I see for the second disk:

Code:
 IDE Primary Slave

Access Mode LBA

Capacity 123GB

Cylander 15017

Head 255

Precomp 0

Landing Zone 59130

Sector 63

So is that weird, or is it ok? It reports similar problems with both my disks.

Q
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: