View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palettentreter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Governmental Hacking Reply with quote

Hiho...
As you may have heard, the german government is planning on legalizing governmental hacking into personal computers. We definitely have to consider these guys EXTREMELY potent, as they have (in principle) all the necessary infrastructure to manipulate any unencrypted traffic that's going through german ISPs. Which means, that it's (theoretically) no problem for them to manipulate, say, my portage rsync, providing me with a crafted Manifest that matches the manipulated kernel-sources I'll be receiving with the next update.
So I think that, in the long run, we'll need an improved system of integrity checking for source downloads. The Manifests shouldn't be transmitted unencrypted. Furthermore, source checksums should be compared within several sources over an AES encrypted connection, preferrably through an anonymizer network such as TOR.
I know this sounds seriously paranoid, but the threat we're facing is not just some well-paid professional hacker, but the legislative force which enjoys support from major parts of the citizens. And we have to be faster than they are.
So I'd very much appreciate some comments on this...

thx guys, and keep up the great work!!
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support request, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
JuNix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few suggestions.

I would suggest installing, and learning how to use, chkrootkit, rkhunter, and aide.

I use an AES encrypted file containing a loopback filesystem to contain my aide database. I run aide every day to see which files have had any of their metadata or contents changed. If some other entity other than myself changes a file on my system, I know about it

Also, why not configure your syslog daemon to log onto a separate machine?

Could you not set up TOR and set FTP_PROXY and HTTP_PROXY to go through your TOR? Then use emerge-webrsync? I've never used TOR so I am unsure as to whether or not this would work.

Good luck. Stay safe
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tor won't help since it's a.) no encryption and b.) in a case of govermental spying it's likely that your isp cannot be considered trustworthy... only thing that can actually help is encrypting traffic between the client and the remote end. SSL and GPG signing for everything...

edit: The current scenarios on the "Bundestrojaner" Subject are actually different. The government wants to break into your appartement, analyze your infrastructure and using that information, create a customised trojan which is then installed on your system during a second break-in. Go figure how likely that is to happen...
your_WooDness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

best solution for this "bundestrojaner" hacking or what else would be, if every german internet user would place a file on his PC with fictive assault datas like date, time, who and how.
Then the government would get a lot of hits and I think more than expected. They would be flooded with informations and I hardly can believe that they would be able to handle this amount of data, neither do I think that they have enough man power to check this.
For all those who think that it's a good thing to find terrorist via hacking into a computer. Hey come on, those terrorist guys are not dumb and they also know how to use computers.

WooD
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered about this sort of thing. The weakest point of attack is surely the rsync mirrors. How secure are they? How easy would it be to hack an ebuild on a mirror, or even set-up a nice fast mirror with ebuilds altered that point to a malicious file?

Are the ebuilds themselves checksummed to compare with a master copy somewhere?
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tor would be no help whatsoever here.

Tor is designed to anonymize your IP, but it makes it EASIER for third parties to sniff your data and perform man-in-the-middle attacks unless you are using some sort of secure tunnel, e.g. https or, better, ssh/hamachi/vpn etc., but then you'd need a secure end-point with which to pass traffic in such a way.

You would be better off subscribing to Relakks or similar. (Alas running redirection tunnels through shell servers like SDF is no longer allowed I think).
This also anonymizes your IP, but all traffic leaves your system in a VPN and exits their end-point node, so in theory no evil snoopers can sniff the traffic, and it exits somewhere in Sweden along with a few hundred+ other peoples IP traffic so they'd have a hard time tracking your thread so they could modify it.
Of course, they could just hack the entire gentoo portage service, but if that ever happened I think we've got bigger problems to worry about...!

And of course, all this assumes you trust the Relakks people enough that they aren't selling backdoors to the CIA, and that theire servers haven't been compromized, but this sort of thing always depends on how far your paranoia and trust will take you...

Edit: Damnit, how comes there are 3 posts in the time it take me to write this?! MY typing isn't THAT slow!!!
your_WooDness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting a really paranoid thread. It wouldn't protect you from hacking if you open a secure connection via ssh, vpn or what ever to a "hacked" rsync mirror where you download your "hacked" source codes. Then you would download the hacked source code via secure connection. Wow! Very secure hacking.
Even if they manage to hack one or more rsync mirrors, they also should hack the portage tree to alter the checksums of the ebuilds and source codes. Just try to change one sign or letter in an ebuild and emerge that package afterwards. It won't start to compile, but complains about that the checksum doesn't fit.
Besides, there are easier ways to infect your system and collect informations of your computer and you, than hacking hundreds of servers.

WooD
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No amount of encryption will help if you can't trust your ISP (unless you can verify the integrity of the other side over a second channel).
GTrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er.. surely the only thing that needs to be sent encrypted, and untangled at the user end by using the Gentoo public key is the MD5 for the download.

If there is a government meddling to fit rootkits and trojans in downloads, it would become obvious. At that point, the entire download could be encrypted.

About paranoia: The main engine for these concerns is actually paranoia among individuals in government agencies who can role-play themselves into a lather. They truly fear unfettered secure communication between citizens, and you may assume that if we thought of the mechanism, they already did.

In the end, even the downloading and adoption of a Gentoo system is an act of trust. The number of folk who can affect the content of an ebuild is not high, and the trust part is that nobody has had an arm twisted, (this being way cheaper and easier than codebreaking).
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happens in Austria, now.

I`m afraid of my privacy.

I have read a lot of "Hack" words in this thread! Someone should count these words. 8)
FcukThisGame
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
I have read a lot of "Hack" words in this thread! Someone should count these words. 8)

It appears 17 times on the page I just read.

This post makes 18.

Don't get paranoid. The government won't go after you. :twisted:

DESKTOP:
i7-3770K|8800GTS-512|32GB|1x256GB SSD|4x1TB|HD/BDROM|1920x1200+1680x1050
Win8 Pro w/ Hyper-V|Server 2012 VM|Ubuntu VM|Gentoo VM

TABLET: Samsung Ativ 700t
i5-3317U|4GB|128GB SSD|1920x1080 Touch
Win8
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTrax wrote:
Er.. surely the only thing that needs to be sent encrypted, and untangled at the user end by using the Gentoo public key is the MD5 for the download.

Yeah, but the government could have control over your ISP. Which means they control your internet top to bottom. You try and log in to something via ssh, they use a man-in-the-middle approach. You actually connect to them, they connect to whereever you were trying to go, and pass information back and forth. Which means they could change your downloads. They can change the md5 sums for your packages so that they do match up, and you would never know it. Any webpage you go to search and try and find the right md5, they could change that too. All of this would take a lot of work and money, and I doubt they would go to this kind of trouble, but they could.

Genone was right, if they control your ISP your screwed. The ONLY thing that could work at that point is using private key encryption, and a non-internet way of sharing those keys.
GTrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what 2-part keys and digital signing is all about.

So many sites I see offering a package to install, same name as the one on the official site, but you don't know if its got some scammy back door to a keylogger rootkit, let alone a government funded snooper. We now have the mechanism to distribute the software encrypted - or at least the MD5 encrypted, and within that package, a digital signature that can only be verified from the owner's public key. We can make the any ISP action irrelevant here. You cannot mess with either key without breaking something.

The motivation to mess with downloads is not confined to snoopers and identity theft criminals. Deliberately distributing broken software mixed with spyware is common, for example to harm the function of media-related software while at the same time giving it a bad name to discourage users. Bit torrents are contaminated in this way, though its not beyond the wit to arrange a auto blacklist in the same way PeerGuardian does.

Regardless of how the code is securely transported and verfied, speeddemon is right in that if the software is messed with at the source with the connivance of the originator, there is no fix except one. ie. The thing must be open source, and preferably the work of several contributors. If it is the source you compile, rather than the binary you let run, then you can read it, and alter it, or know that that some clever fellow somewhere might read it! This is how we know FireFox (for example) does not have backdoors and corporate snoopers. Nobody wanting to plant covert code would risk it being found in open source code.

When you think about it - this is one of the advantages of having a compiled system - like Gentoo :)
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTrax wrote:
This is what 2-part keys and digital signing is all about.

So many sites I see offering a package to install, same name as the one on the official site, but you don't know if its got some scammy back door to a keylogger rootkit, let alone a government funded snooper. We now have the mechanism to distribute the software encrypted - or at least the MD5 encrypted, and within that package, a digital signature that can only be verified from the owner's public key. We can make the any ISP action irrelevant here. You cannot mess with either key without breaking something.

But if they control the ISP, then 2 part keys give you no protection. You send Bob a connection request giving him your public key. Which the ISP replaces with their public key. Bob sends you his public key, which the ISP replaces with their own public key. They are now the man in the middle with neither of you being the wiser. They can see all your traffic, replace it with whatever they want.

Sure you can still find out if the download has been tampered with, but not over the internet. Any site you go to that has the md5 listed, the ISP could alter the page and put the md5 from their modified package in its place. Same with any emails you send or receive. You will never see the md5 of the original package, because the ISP can replace it with their own.

The only way to be sure is to exchange encryption keys over a secure communication, and in this case the internet is not secure. No safe key exchange can take place through a compromised ISP.

(edit)Just to be clear, Im not implying that this is easy or would even happen. But it is possible.
GTrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping it simple - I need an explain why the mechanism could be compromised by an ISP replacing the attempt to post a public key with another. If I sent out software anywhere, via any channel at all, that was first encrypted with my private key, it would not be recovered unless my public key remained unsullied. There is one, and only one, number that will work, and the ISP has to pass it unhurt, or the whole thing halts right there.

The scenario you pose, where the ISP uses your public key to recover the stuff, just like any other user, then re-scambles it with a new key of their own, and posts a fake public key is defeated by the digital signature mechanism. In effect the, software integrity is guaranteed by the inability of the ISP to fake one. There are lots of articles that explain the method, and the world is teeming with criminals probing for a weakness.

There is no 'key translation' trick i am aware of that can circumvent this.
The 'easier' way is to bribe me or twist my arm before I send it!

All this assumes nobody has found a fast way of factoring large numbers that are only one count away from being prime.

..as I understand it .. :?
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you rely on one communication channel only there is _no_ way to assure that encrypted data send to you (or you send out) is untampered. Or to be even more precise you _must_ have one independent+secure+trusted channel to verify the data, e.g. telephone, personal meeting to manually crossverify fingerprints of the data or similar methods. As long as your 'enemy' has full control over your primary communication channel you're lost without this second channel, no way out.
When you rely on one channel only you trust either the data or the keys or the key-signing you receive via that channel - all can be tampered/exchanged with something else - you have no possibility to tell if the data is 'real' without _independent_ verification.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread, and have to mention something about the "one channel" thing.

Read some of the PGP/GPG documentation on "key signing parties". I prepared for one earlier this week. On a piece of paper, I printed my name, email address, key ID, and key signature. All of this several times, with dashed lines to tear into strips, one printout on each. It was paper, no computers involved. In fact, they sternly suggest no computers in the documentation. You speak with people, exchange pieces of paper, show each other IDs, including photo IDs, etc. When all is done, you can download their key from a keyserver, verify that the signature is correct, sign it with your key. (Then upload, if you wish.)

At the end of this, you have that second channel, and you know you can securely communicate with that person.

PGP/GPG refer to a "web of trust", where you know someone who knows someone who knows someone, etc. As long as all of the trust was properly assigned through personal contact, you can extend your "transitive trust" beyond your personal acquaintances. But it all required that "second channel", personal contact.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post; I've been thinking about something along these lines. One ISP or national subnet could be considered one channel. So if signatures and software are checked across those boundaries, surely that's enough? I think we have that already, but it'd be good to be sure :P
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt they're going to chase after every Linux distro known to man, Gentoo even less so, it just isn't feasible. Take off your tinfoil hats gents, you're safe for now.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Interesting post; I've been thinking about something along these lines. One ISP or national subnet could be considered one channel. So if signatures and software are checked across those boundaries, surely that's enough? I think we have that already, but it'd be good to be sure :P

The PGP/GPG people feel that the second channel should be face-to-face, completely computer-free. Even if you're going through 2 different ISPs, how do you know who your ISPs' ISPs are? Most ISPs go through a few outfits like Level3, and then there's always the "secret ATT closet" that was in the news a few weeks ago. So getting 2 channels of communication that share no parts at all is at best questionable, and in fact for most people might be downright unknowable.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
I highly doubt they're going to chase after every Linux distro known to man, Gentoo even less so, it just isn't feasible. Take off your tinfoil hats gents, you're safe for now.

Obviously correct, they wouldn't bother with Gentoo. If "they" are going to go after Linux, they'd go right to the source - places like Sourceforge, etc. If you want some tinfoil-hat comfort from that, realize that in order to do a number on Sourceforge, they'd have to avoid tampering with signatures for connections from the developers themselves, otherwise they'd know something was wrong. When you have a "test people get the good stuff" and "these other people get the bad stuff" and you've only got IP addresses to differentiate, and it has to be implemented as a realtime proxy....

Then it's time to drop back to simpler means, like breaking into your house and installing a keylogger or other snoop device. Remember, most security attacks in the real world are no-tech human engineering.

I considered the "second channel" discussion worthwhile because IMHO there should be more communications that are encrypted and/or signed, and it ought to be done the right way, if it's done at all.
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTrax wrote:
Keeping it simple - I need an explain why the mechanism could be compromised by an ISP replacing the attempt to post a public key with another. If I sent out software anywhere, via any channel at all, that was first encrypted with my private key, it would not be recovered unless my public key remained unsullied. There is one, and only one, number that will work, and the ISP has to pass it unhurt, or the whole thing halts right there.

I think your missing what Im trying to say, you aren't thinking with your tinfoil hat. This is a conspiracy man, they control EVERYTHING :D

I know how encryption works. I've read the papers, I've implemented the algorithms in my own software. The ISP never tries to fake a digital signature, they don't try and break the encryption, they don't try and reverse engineer anything to do with encryption. They simply create a new signature. They take the file you want to download, they alter that file, then attach a new digital signature of their own to it. When you go to find the public key of the party you thought you downloaded the file from (which is how you verify authenticity), they simply replace that with the key that will match up with the file you downloaded. And from your point of view the signature is completely legit, and you have no way of finding out otherwise unless you use a source other than the internet. Because they can modify anything sent to your computer over the internet, including any transmission that would show you that your file was compromised.

Depontius is right though, it wouldn't be practical on a large scale. Too likely that somebody would pick up the phone, or go on a trip with their laptop. If anything like this were to occur, it would likely be very specific, targeting a single person or small group of people, and it would a part of a greater surveillance effort.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speeddemon wrote:
GTrax wrote:

I think your missing what Im trying to say, you aren't thinking with your tinfoil hat. This is a conspiracy man, they control EVERYTHING :D

<snip a feasible scenario>

Depontius is right though, it wouldn't be practical on a large scale. Too likely that somebody would pick up the phone, or go on a trip with their laptop. If anything like this were to occur, it would likely be very specific, targeting a single person or small group of people, and it would a part of a greater surveillance effort.

As you say, that would take a lot of manpower for a small subset of the population, who would have to be surveilled very closely. How would you deal with them just going into an internet cafe for a start, or wandering around with a wifi-laptop?

Leaving that aside, for the software we're discussing, which is developed all over the world, the concern is that a central piece of software, that doesn't get discussed much as it just does its job like it always has, gets tampered with. I don't think that's very likely with the signing infrastructure, the geographical spread of clients, and most importantly the massive amount of people who look at the source code.

It's funny; the best way to be secure is to develop the infrastructure transparently :)
speeddemon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

As you say, that would take a lot of manpower for a small subset of the population, who would have to be surveilled very closely. How would you deal with them just going into an internet cafe for a start, or wandering around with a wifi-laptop?

All of this would be going on at the ISP level, supposedly performed by the government. As long as you were in that country using the internet from any ISP there, they would know who/where you are. Controlling what the person sees on the internet isn't the problem. Its that you have to have people in the field to make sure that if the person gets on another computer, the people in the "secret closet" know that and are able to adapt. As long as the suspect would have no reason to be suspicious, the network adapter's MAC address would probably be enough to identify him/her.

Of course, this kind of attack would probably be more successful the shorter term it was used. Compromise a package so that it installs some sort of rootkit/trojan on the users computer. Then on the next update, let the person have the real package again. Then they don't have to keep modifying his network traffic. There's no point in continuously faking software, they can already see all his network traffic, the only other thing they would need is a way to see inside his computer. Compromise device's firmware maybe? Really would just depend on what hardware/OS/software the person was using as to what they could/would do.

[edit]One thing to remember though, while there might be a lot of people that do look at the source code, the VAST majority of people never will. Plus the amount of code that stuff could be buried in, even if people are looking at the code, they have to be looking at the right place in the right file. Write the rootkit code in assembly. How many people are going to take the time to figure out what 3000 lines of assembly code do?

That being said, its still much better to have it be open than close, because at least there is the ability to find something. Im sure winblows has stuff in there to allow for unauthorized remote access (wasn't there a big stink about it updating stuff without people's knowledge or permission a while back?), but we never will know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: