Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine.
http://pastebin.com/m67f75a3e

I don't have compiz or other fancy effects, but it perfectly works.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my new MacBook Pro a couple of days ago. I have Mac OS X and Windows Vista Basic (gaming) installed on it. I love OS X, but I also love Linux. I have some questions before I start the install. Any help is appreciated.

1. I do not want to use rEFIt. Can I just triple-boot like I dual-boot? (I hold down the options key at boot to select the volume.) What bootloader would I use? People have told me that anything LILO is just retarded and pathetic, and I haven't used LILO since my Slackware days. So, I don't know how eLILO would work out. Is GRUB a possibility with EFI?

2. Do I need a BIOS to have direct rendering in Linux? I have a GeForce 8600M GT 256MB in this laptop, if that's relevant.

3. For partitioning, how would I set it up? I'm assuming I'd only use one partition, since I already have three others, and I've never used a logical partition. I know for /home, I can just symlink directories from my OS X partition, since Linux does support HFS/+ r/w, and I'd just need to sync permissions in Linux to write and not do damage. Also, how much space should I have for my / (root)? I generally install OpenOffice, Firefox, Eclipse, KDE 4-SVN, Vim, and a host of terminal applications.

4. In light of three, what would I do about swap? This laptop does have 2GB of memory, which I plan to bump to 4GB before I head off to college. So, I don't think I'd need it, but just in case, could I just initialize a swap file on boot maybe through local.conf/rc.local (forget the file name)?
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I do not want to use rEFIt. Can I just triple-boot like I dual-boot? (I hold down the options key at boot to select the volume.) What bootloader would I use? People have told me that anything LILO is just retarded and pathetic, and I haven't used LILO since my Slackware days. So, I don't know how eLILO would work out. Is GRUB a possibility with EFI?

i´m not sure about this one - maybe you will find more info in the wiki page i link below.

Quote:
2. Do I need a BIOS to have direct rendering in Linux? I have a GeForce 8600M GT 256MB in this laptop, if that's relevant.

macs dont have a bios and direct rendering works here.

Quote:
3. For partitioning, how would I set it up? I'm assuming I'd only use one partition, since I already have three others, and I've never used a logical partition. I know for /home, I can just symlink directories from my OS X partition, since Linux does support HFS/+ r/w, and I'd just need to sync permissions in Linux to write and not do damage. Also, how much space should I have for my / (root)? I generally install OpenOffice, Firefox, Eclipse, KDE 4-SVN, Vim, and a host of terminal applications.

when i installed on my macbook there was a limit of maximal 4 partitions ( some EFI limitation or something like that, don´t know if this still stands ), so that i made one for osx, one for linux and one for windows. Linux´s partition (ext3) is about 60 gigs iirc and is where i store all my stuff.

Quote:
4. In light of three, what would I do about swap? This laptop does have 2GB of memory, which I plan to bump to 4GB before I head off to college. So, I don't think I'd need it, but just in case, could I just initialize a swap file on boot maybe through local.conf/rc.local (forget the file name)?

because of linux-kernel´s design you will need a swap space, or otherwise you may hit performance problems. No need to make a partition for it, check the wiki about this.

cheers
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:

because of linux-kernel´s design you will need a swap space, or otherwise you may hit performance problems. No need to make a partition for it, check the wiki about this.

I'm running here for about half a year whithout swap space and 2GB of RAM... No roblems so far...
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm running here for about half a year whithout swap space and 2GB of RAM... No roblems so far...

good for you but i think i explained myself wrong. Nick Piggin said about this :"[...]well it is a magical property of swap space, because extra RAM doesn't allow you to replace unused memory with often used memory. The theory holds true no matter how much RAM you have. Swap can improve performance. It can be trivially demonstrated.[...]"

http://kerneltrap.org/node/3202

Rik van Riel also posted somewhere several (quite ususal) scenarios where swap is almost necessary to not hit some regressions due to kernels design, but i can´t find the link right now. Note that its not about hitting swap, it´s that the kernel expects to have swapspace available.

So having some swapspace availble is apparently a good thing.

cheers
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:
Quote:

i´m not sure about this one - maybe you will find more info in the wiki page i link below.

Quote:

macs dont have a bios and direct rendering works here.

Quote:

when i installed on my macbook there was a limit of maximal 4 partitions ( some EFI limitation or something like that, don´t know if this still stands ), so that i made one for osx, one for linux and one for windows. Linux´s partition (ext3) is about 60 gigs iirc and is where i store all my stuff.

Quote:

cheers

That wiki entry doesn't answer the first question, but Mac folks have said that the firmware loader can boot Linux directly so long as the volume is blessed.

As for direct rendering, that's good. I guess there is some misinformation on the internet.

Well, I can't spare that much. I think the symlinking and syncing will work well.
younker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed gentoo on my Macbook pro C2D, and I use gnome desktop environment,
but when I start gnome, the keyboard backlight is always on, I had tried the following methods, but they didn't work.

1) use pommed
2) write the value to /sys/.../ files
younker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master channel of sound doesn't work, I can only control the volume through PCM, Front,
What should I do to make Master work as expected?
deathcon1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

MBP Core 2 Duo Nov. 2007 revision.

Everything works, bluetooth is only partially though.

Pommed controls my sound/backlight via the F# keys. I have sound without crackling, Compiz-Fusion working, Wireless (yes, including promisc). Gnome, mostly stable arch.

I use rEFIt as my booloader, very simple install in OS X, and I reccomend it even for people who are only dual-booting via Bootcamp.

All I did was emerge pommed, enabled the special Mac drivers in the kernel, and things just worked.
averoxus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Apple Touchpad and synaptics Reply with quote

Hi,

i'm trying to install gentoo on my macbook pro third generation, but there are some problems:
The X-Server doesn't accept my integrated touchpad.
I want to run the touchpad with a synaptics driver.
Here are some files:
xorg.conf: http://nopaste.biz/44156
make.conf: http://nopaste.biz/44157
and the /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://nopaste.biz/44158

Is there an alternativ to get the second and third button of the mouse?

Thank you very much!
averoxus
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged one post above
deathcon1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Touchpad and synaptics Reply with quote

averoxus wrote:
Hi,

i'm trying to install gentoo on my macbook pro third generation, but there are some problems:
The X-Server doesn't accept my integrated touchpad.
I want to run the touchpad with a synaptics driver.
Here are some files:
xorg.conf: http://nopaste.biz/44156
make.conf: http://nopaste.biz/44157
and the /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://nopaste.biz/44158

Is there an alternativ to get the second and third button of the mouse?

Thank you very much!
averoxus

I got a suggestion for your make.con, instead of having a monolithic USE= var, try
USE="blah"
USE="${USE} blah
USE="${USE} blah blah" as it'll keep your make.conf cleaner and you can seperate flags by what they do. Useful if you toggle flags or discover an awsome new flag. Anyways.

The touchpad should work like any other Synaptics driver. Did you follow the Wiki for macbook pro's? Also, did you enable the special kernel options for the Mac keyboard/mouse?
genmich
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
is there no way to overcome the 4 partition limit and install windows xp (32bit)?

My hard-drive looks like this at the moment:
/dev/sda1 GPT
/dev/sda2 OSX
/dev/sda3 Linux (root)
/dev/sda4 Linux (home)
/dev/sda5 Win (empty)

When I try to install XP it says partition limit exceeded. I tried to hide the OSX partition so it will only recognize 3 but it didn't work.

And how can I stop KDE 4.2 powerdevil to activate keyboard backlight everytime KDE starts? It seems that screen-brightness is linked to keyboard-backlight because if I move the screen-brightness slider in the battery plasmoid it will activate the keyboard backlight too.
bytenirvana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a brandnew MacBook and I'm starting to install Gentoo on it. :D
The tutorial on wiki.onmac.net states to partition with the command:
Code:
 sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 60G "Linux" "Linux" 17G "MS-DOS FAT32" "Windows" 15G

However on OS X 10.5 "Linux" as file system format isn't accepted anymore:

Code:
sudo diskutil resizevolume disk0s2 150G "Linux" "Linux" 150G
Linux does not appear to be a valid file system format
Valid filesystems: "Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS" "MS-DOS FAT16" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT12" "MS-DOS" "UDF" "UFS" "ZFS"

I guess I'm going to partition it then from the Gentoo amd64 Minimal CD because HFS+ isn't supported by Linux and UFS seems to be an internal gag from Apple. I'm also planning to make a third (fourth with EFI) for sharing files with Mac OS probably FAT32.

Or does it make more sense to put /home on the third partition so that I could share my files "directly" from Gentoo? My only choice to make it work is then FAT32, right?
Linux User #422770
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: