PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. Thanks lovechild.
sindre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindre wrote:
sindre wrote:
mm2 gave me a freeze in X when I was logging in through gdm.
It seems this happens occasionally with both mm1 and mm2.

I've now discovered that this happens uncondisionally if I have pci=usepirqmask in my grub kernel line. It doesn't seem to happen at all when I don't pass that to the kernel.
eta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am back with more questions. I have been running 2.5.73-mm2 for two and three days now, except for the problem of XMMS skipping, it seems really fast. But, I am encountering problem when I boot up. The "checkfs" service runs at boot time. With 2.4.20, I had no problem with this script; it fsck all my partions listed on /etc/fstab and hand over control to the next service. But, with the development kernel, it takes so much time to do so (atleast 30 minutes) - mostly waiting to replay journals. Obviously, I don't have patience to wait 30 minute on everyboot up so I tried to remove checkfs from the boot run-level with "rc-update del checkfs boot" . But, it still insisted on checking all my filesystems on the next boot up although the script is not listed in /etc/runlevels/boot. So, I basically now have a bad work-around where I keep two /etc/fstab files (one very minimal and the regular one) and change my /etc/fstab file to minimal before I reboot to the minimal one and restore it after the boot up process ends. When I run fsck on all my partitions after booting, it checks the systems and replays whatever journals it need to replay very fast. So I am confused by why checkfs is taking long? Anybody have any idea? And, also why couldn't I stopped it from checking the partitions after I removed checkfs from the boot run-level? Thanks.
eta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! 2.5.74-mm1 solved all the problems I mentioned above including "xmms skips" and "checkfs takes too long" problems. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: