Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] DP965LT and Grub/LILO Refusing to Boot (Workaround)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zancarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: [Solved] DP965LT and Grub/LILO Refusing to Boot (Workaround) Reply with quote

I am having something of a really obscure issue and my well of ideas has run dry, thus I've decided to appeal to the Gentoo forums in the help someone might have a suggestion beyond the scope of my current attempts. The problem isn't a show-stopper and it's easy to work around, but it's somewhat annoying. Here's the deal:

When I first purchased the board, an Intel DP965LT, back in December, I was using it almost exclusively with Windows. My Gentoo drive migrated from my previous board had died and my spring semester was busy enough to where I didn't have enough time to do much else beyond wait for some free time to install the replacement, reinstall Gentoo, and go back to my business. Since World of Warcraft is about the only game I play anymore, I've since abandoned resorting to Windows with some rare but notable exceptions. However, one thing that has become rather annoying is that the DP965LT BIOS absolutely REFUSES to boot Grub, LILO, most bootable CDROMs, but works fine with the Windows bootloader, the Gentoo LiveCD, and booting Grub from a floppy. I took the issue up with Intel for some suggestions, and beyond the typical latest-BIOS, kernel opts, and so forth, their suggestions weren't quite prepared for this problem. Again, as I expressed to the Intel support representative, the problem isn't with Linux. The kernel loads up just fine, the OS is completely usable (I don't use the onboard PATA at all, which is of the oh-so-lovely Marvell lineage), and I've never had a lick of trouble with any of the hardware at all. (In fact, ALSA is more well-behaved using the snd_hda_intel module for the integrated sound than the Windows drivers are.) Unfortunately, if I try to boot from the SATA drive containing Grub and my Gentoo install, it won't work. I've even tried replacing Grub with LILO to no avail.

My initial reaction was to consider that perhaps the BIOS was flaky (the boot menu is--or was--somewhat buggy at one point several revisions back) and was somewhat picky with regards to the SATA drive order. So, moving the Gentoo disk to SATA0, unplugging the Windows disk, and everything else, the BIOS reports "no bootable media found." Great. I've never had a single problem booting grub on any machine I've had before, from laptops to some REALLY buggy BIOSes. All I can figure is that the BIOS on this board is buggered or maybe it's just angry. (Hey, it's better than blaming it on $EVIL_SPIRIT.)

For what it's worth, the one thing I haven't tried was booting a PATA drive (with Grub installed) from the Promise ATA/133 PCI card I stuck in this thing for accessing my CDRW and DVD. Perhaps that might work, but anything would be better than resorting to a bootable floppy--which I have been doing for quite some time now. Being so stretched for ideas at this point, all I can figure is that perhaps there's something about Grub or LILO I'm missing, and maybe some kind soul would be willing to point me in the right direction. Thusfar, after hours and hours of searching, I've found only one other post that sounds remarkably similar to my problem.

My kernel is 2.6.22-r8 (from gentoo-sources, but the kernel works just fine)
Grub is 0.97-r3
LILO is 22.8-r1

Again, the kernel loads fine, all hardware works perfectly, it's just that the BIOS isn't interested in booting much else beyond ntldr. While it works, resorting to a boot floppy as I have seems to be something of an inelegant solution. I'd really appreciate any sort of suggestions at this point, no matter how outlandish--I'll even bring in a witchdoctor if I have to.

Last edited by Zancarius on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rlittle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it does sound like some freaky problem with the motherboard from what you say. What if it was enumerating the SATA drives differently every time?

I'm not sure if you have 2 drives or not. For the heck of it, post your grub.conf, however, I get the impression that you've already tried everything I could possibly suggest. :o
Zancarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, rlittle.

The system does indeed have two hard drives in it (three actually--more on that later). I'll explain some additional things I've tried out of sheer frustration, none of which have worked. Although Intel has suggested it's an OS issue, I can't shake the notion that there's something wrong with the BIOS on this motherboard.

Anyway, here's my grub.conf from /boot:

Code:
default 1
timeout 10
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 (revision 5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/sda6 all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 (revision 8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda6 all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

And from the floppy disk I'm currently using to boot:

Code:
default 1
timeout 10
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 (revision 5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/sda6 all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.22 (revision 8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda6 all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

The floppy (archaic, I know) is the only way I can actually get the system to boot Linux. Currently, there are three drives in the system:

/dev/sda (Gentoo disk)
/dev/sdb (Windows disk)
/dev/hde (Old Windows PATA disk I was using and still have some stuff on)

However, here's what else I've tried: Unplugging hde and sdb leaving the Gentoo disk (sda) as the only disk in the system, disabling network boot, boot from removable device support, and boot from optical devices from within the BIOS. At this point, only the hard disk was detected from the BIOS and the only device listed in the boot order. With the Gentoo HDD as the only one in the system, BIOS still refused to boot grub. I've even moved it to SATA slot 1 and 2 (originally on 0, which is where it's at right now), none of which have worked. BIOS appears to be correctly flagging the disk location, as booting to a floppy with the Gentoo disk connected--no other disks connected at that time, either--will reveal the drive marked as hd0 in grub and sdX, where X is either a, b, or c, depending on the SATA slot. So... nothing unusual there.

Other things I've tried:

I took an old 40GB drive I had sitting around (nothing on it) and put two partitions on it--a small primary ~250MB and an extended partition that consumed the rest of the disk. I then installed grub on this 40GB drive (same grub.conf as my floppy has), plugged it into the Marvell PATA connector, and it wouldn't boot. Failing that, I plugged it into an old Promise ATA/133 card I have--BIOS recognized the disk--moved it to the top of the boot list after changing hd0 to hd1 and BIOS wouldn't boot that, either. In each of these cases, BIOS would complain with "no bootable media found." Bummer.

Another thing I had a look at was to swap the BIOS config jumper to its configuration state just to see if there were any other maintenance options. There are, but none of them seem to have much of an affect. There is an option for "additional debugging" (doesn't output anything extra that I can see) and one that sort of struck my eye: "fixed disk boot sector write protect." The latter has two options, "normal" and "write protect," and sits on "normal" by default. The ONLY thing I haven't tried yet is to switch the write protect option to "write protect," and see if it affects installing grub on the bootsector at all. It's possible this BIOS is buggy, and maybe "fix disk boot sector write protect" doesn't work as advertised. If it's any indication, Intel has released at least one or two BIOS updates for this board every month since December, and not all of them have addressed microcode updates or support for new processors. Makes you wonder...

Oh, and the AHCI settings have absolutely no impact on whether BIOS even recognizes the drive as bootable--even if it's the only one in the system.

I'm still holding out hope that I may have overlooked something. I'd like to err on the side of caution that I just goofed something up, but frankly, I've never had a lick of trouble with grub before, even on my old system with a Gentoo disk and Windows disk (I used grub to boot between the two). Heck, I've been running Gentoo on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8600) since I got it in '05 with no trouble at all, duel booting with grub between Gentoo and Windows on the same disk. It strikes me as strange that grub would somehow not be working in this particular case. As I understand it, BIOS is supposed to pass control after POST to the MBR, right? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps, somehow, this particular BIOS has been Windows-biased. I'd hate to lean toward conspiracy theories...but...

Other things I'd like to try when I get some time include other bootloaders (FreeBSD comes to mind, I have a spare disk to try it on), maybe another Windows install just to see if it boots... Right now, only ntldr on sdb will boot if I have the floppy disabled... *sigh*

Thanks again, rlittle.
Zancarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that I found a workaround to this problem, although the workaround itself isn't all that glamorous. Some months back, I stumbled on a gentoo-wiki entry for booting Gentoo from NTLDR (the Windows bootloader) and just recently realized that it might be a temporary solution. (Admittedly, using NTLDR is marginally better than resorting to a boot floppy, which is what I have been doing for about eight months.) With some modifications to the instructions on gentoo-wiki, I found that the solution does in fact work. It's messy, it requires having Windows installed, and it's probably prone to breakage. However, given that both the floppy drive and disk I have been using are fast approaching 10 years of age, it's a solution that I find moderately better.

Again, this does not resolve my problem. However, it does provide a workaround for it.

To reiterate, here is my current set up along with the BIOS order for my drives:

/dev/sda ST380811AS (BIOS drive 1, grub drive hd1, Gentoo disk)
/dev/sdb ST3120813AS (BIOS drive 0, grub drive hd0, old Windows disk)

The reason the Gentoo disk is seen as /dev/sda is because it is on SATA0. The Windows disk is on SATA1. No, it doesn't really matter nor has it affected whether this motherboard sees Grub. I've tried numerous BIOS updates since my original post. I've tried unplugging everything except my Gentoo disk. I've tried moving my Gentoo disk to SATA0 through SATA3 (all four ports). I've even tried installing Grub on a separate disk in another machine just in case something unusual is happening in the hardware and somehow preventing grub from writing to the MBR. Using dd and od, I can tell that the MBR is written containing grub--but not a thing has managed to change this board's behavior. I have to assume that either the board or the chipset (maybe both) are defective. Or maybe it's just the BIOS.

Now, back to the workaround.

First, it is necessary to install Grub to my Gentoo disk with some specification as to where stage2 is located. I couldn't simply use grub's setup command and copy the MBR image over--it wouldn't know where to find stage2. Thus, I had to issue the following commands:

Code:
grub> root (hd1,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> install (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage1 d (hd1,0) /boot/grub/stage2

To my knowledge (which is limited on this subject), the install command will install grub's MBR in addition to a device location where it should search for its stage2. Next, I copied the boot record from my Gentoo disk to my Windows C partition:

Code:
gridlock-ix# dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/windows/c bs=512 count=1

"Wait a minute," you say, "What are you doing? Isn't that your mounted Windows partition?"

Yes, it is. I'm using ntfs-3g which features full write support. I've had good luck with it, though YMMV.

Once grub's boot record on my /boot partition (/dev/sda1) was copied over, I edited boot.ini to include it:

Code:

nano /mnt/windows/c/boot.ini

...so it now contains:

Code:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=C:\boot.grub
[operating systems]
C:\boot.grub="Grub Bootloader"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

The default and timeout settings were changed (for obvious reasons), and Windows' NTLDR will now boot grub which then provides me with the menu as configured from my /boot/grub/grub.conf residing on /dev/sda1. It isn't a pretty solution--which is why it's a workaround--but it does the job. No need to have a floppy in this machine anymore!

I am marking this post [Solved] with the caveat that it is a workaround. If anyone has a similar problem but does NOT have Windows installed, I'm afraid this solution may not be of any use. Contact Intel and inform them that the BIOS on this board appears to be rubbish.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: