on the fly encryption software for linux, win98 and winxp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_Fell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: on the fly encryption software for linux, win98 and winxp Reply with quote

SOLVED

Hello,

I have some confidential data on my pendrive and I would like to make an encrypted partition for them. Since I am working on 3 different computers, I need this software supports linux (box at home), winxp and win98. Win 98 is biggest problem - There are some perfect tools (i.e. truecrypt) that support both linux and winxp but don't support win98.
So my question is - are there any soft, that supports every OS I need ? Or at least soft that works with win98 and makes drives that I will be able to mount using truecrypt under linux ?

Michael

Last edited by dr_Fell on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
marrowhk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: on the fly encryption software for linux, win98 and winx Reply with quote

dr_Fell wrote:
Hello,

I have some confidential data on my pendrive and I would like to make an encrypted partition for them. Since I am working on 3 different computers, I need this software supports linux (box at home), winxp and win98. Win 98 is biggest problem - There are some perfect tools (i.e. truecrypt) that support both linux and winxp but don't support win98.
So my question is - are there any soft, that supports every OS I need ? Or at least soft that works with win98 and makes drives that I will be able to mount using truecrypt under linux ?

Michael

I would use the old version of truecrypt (version 1.0) on windows 98 and the new versions on linux and xp.
The container produced by version 1.0 should be readable on any system as far as i can workout.

truecrypt-1.0.zip
ftp://130.234.4.40/pub/mirrors/ftp.zedz.net/pub/crypto/disk/truecrypt/truecrypt-1.0.zip

truecrypt-1.0-source-code.zip
ftp://130.234.4.40/pub/mirrors/ftp.zedz.net/pub/crypto/disk/truecrypt/truecrypt-1.0-source-code.zip

NOTES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt

TrueCrypt 1.0 supported Windows 98/ME and Windows 2000/XP.
Version 1.0a, released only 1 day later, removed the Windows 98/ME support because the author of the Windows 9x driver for E4M claimed he gave no permission that would allow his code to be used in projects derived from E4M
dr_Fell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try this, thank You
dr_Fell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, after i finally managed to deal with permissions problem (encrypted filesystem is fat32) it works perfectly and now under linux I can modify and read files on partition created on win98.
marrowhk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: