Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cleaning the partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaning the partition Reply with quote

Hey, i want to install 1.2 for two reasons. One i forgot my account pw and root pw :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: also, i want bleeding edge. Basically, i have 1.1a installed and i want to know how i clean out the partition so i know there will be no conflicts while compiling or anything. I tried mkfs.xfs -f with the switches blah blah blah. When it came time to compile the kernal, i had gotten an error and just crashed out of the compile :? :? :? i dont know why. Can someone help me out? Thank you
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the partition Reply with quote

Loco wrote:
Hey, i want to install 1.2 for two reasons

If you currently have 1.1a installed and do an 'emerge -u world', you will then have a system that is more current than gentoo 1.2. The only thing versioning in Gentoo has to do with is the stage 1/2/3 tarballs that are used to get your system up and running. From there, all Gentoo systems are the same. (ok, there's something of a difference if you're using the 1.3b with GCC 3.1)

To fix your root password, search Google for linux forgot root password and you'll get bunches and bunches of ways to solve your problem.

If you're hell-bent on reinstalling, then simply delete and recreate your partition table and be done with it. Otherwise, mke2fs -j /dev/hdaX should solve your problem as well. (that creates an ext3 partition -- substitute other appropriate commands if you're planning on using reiser/XFS/etc.)

--kurt
Slurp53
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to completely reinitalize the partition you could try what the install documentation recomends when converting a partition from Reiser to XFS

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx bs=1k.

This should destroy all the data on the partition. See the warning under Code listing 10 in the install documentation
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you should be able to boot with the install CD, mount your fs and edit /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
loco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, thanks guys you rock :D :D :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: