Install Problems...I'm stuck...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thornzzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Install Problems...I'm stuck... Reply with quote

I'm not a total noob to linux or anything, but this is really baffling me...

I'm installing Gentoo Stage 1...following the instructions to the letter to make sure I'm doing this right. Everything is going perfect. My hardware is recognized, my NIC is configured right off the bat (I'm using a cable modem for net access by the way), and all seems good.

But...I run into freezing problems while accessing the internet. It's all random. I punch in emerge sync...it goes for a while...and then locks up the computer half way through. Only way out of it is to hard reboot the computer.

Or, better yet, it gets through emerge sync without a problem and then I can get started on emerge system after all bootstrapping is done...and halfway through downloading packages, it locks up...hafta hard reboot the computer.

So basically, I'm never finishing...

I'm suspecting right now that it's most likely and issue with my NIC card as I've used this cable modem on a different linux box with no issues...

Two questions I suppose...

1) Is there anything I can do to fix this??? I suppose I could always follow the non-network install instructions that were posted to the forum

or

2) Maybe I should just go out and get a better NIC card? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand or so I should get?

Thanks in advance!
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, yeah that smells like a hardware problem but its hard to know for sure. As for network cards, IMO they are more or less a commodity at this point. Get the cheapest one (usually around $10-15). Of course, having hardware problems yourself, getting a name brand may put your mind at ease.
Derango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be that your memory decided to go bad on you all of a sudden. I'd check the NIC first though.
xrn0id
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it lock up while you are downloading something, or while it is compiling localy?

linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5
thornzzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It locks up during download only...during compiling...it works perfectly. It's always when it comes down to accessing the internet for anything.

As a side note, XP works fine and I don't have the same issue.

I'm definalty leaning towards trying a new NIC card first and seeing if that fixes the issue. I think it will, but then again, there might be something else going on that I'm missing.

Thanks for all the help so far! :D
dlworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: I had the same problem... Reply with quote

Hi,

During my install, I had the same problem with my NIC. It just stopped receiving packets without prompting. Before trying to remove the card, I tried to probe another module for it... Gentoo was using eepro100 for my card, and I changed it for the e100 instead. It worked!

Hope this helps you :roll:
cranch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else says, probably related to your NIC. What type of a NIC is it according to your dmesg or cat /proc/pci | grep -i ethernet

Could be a simple module issue if its not having problems in Windoze...
thornzzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

It must have been the NIC card...I went out, got a new one, everything is working! Got Gentoo installed, and life is good! Heck, the NIC works better then the other one under XP too! 8)

Thanks for the help guys! I much appreciate it! :D :D :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: