inittab run program bypass login?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beakmyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: inittab run program bypass login? Reply with quote

Ok I'm building a digital picture frame. I basically want this thing to start up and run zgv all by itself. Googling suggested:
modifying /etc/inittab with a new line

7:2345:once:/usr/bin/zgv -l /home/photos/*

Now here's my question:
Does putting this line in the inittab efffectively run the program at bootup with no-one logged in?

If yes, great. All I do is turn on the power let it boot and away we go.

If no, then do I need to configure something like mingetty to do an autologin before the aformentioned line in inittab is parsed?
dirtyjake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it? Give it a shot and see what happens. 'zgv' will start on vc7 with the line as it is. Also, I believe that if it gets killed it will not start back up because of the "once".

Try changing the line to:
Code:

c1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/zgv -l /home/photos/*

and replace the 'agetty' line that starts with "c1" with it. This way your pictures will start on vc1 and you will have login prompts on vc2-vc6.

Remember that this will start zgv with root privileges, so depending on your security needs, make sure zgv has no bugs. Or now that I think of it, make sure a user can't overwrite any files. They could clobber some important files as root.

You might be able to create a user to run zgv under.

`su - some_user_name -c "/usr/bin/zgv -l /home/photos/*"` might work.

Also, make sure your default runlevel is 3.

I have never tried this so I can't guarantee any of suggestions will work as you want. Good Luck.
beakmyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too concerned about security. The box will be a digital picture frame without a keyboard or mouse hooked up. I tried it and it appeared to work. Not sure why it didn't work before I posted? anyway. I like your idea of respawning it if it gets shutdown for some reason as that would require me getting a keyboard out and hooking it up yadda, yadda, yadda. Thanks for the help. Now if I could get zgv to remember the picture rotation I'd be set.

What else is a 166Mhz,1gb,32mbram laptop good for?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: