OSX and XFT2 AA font comparisons
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: OSX and XFT2 AA font comparisons Reply with quote

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on the AA in OS X and in XFT2. I've noticed on my 12" ibook the fonts in OS X look fuzzy. I've seen other screenshots of ibooks running XFT2 (i haven't got it up yet on mine) and the fonts looks much less fuzzy than on OS X. According to my poll lots of folks like AA. I know a big selling point of OS X is the supposed gajlion dollars worth of font and the graphic AA system, but really it looks to my like AA on XFT2 is better. What do you guys think? To me the AA in XFT2 just look more shapely, and less blury than OS X, although I haven't used jaguar yet.
stew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For OS X on an iBook, I definately recommend using SuperCal to adjust OS X' colour correction to your screen. It makes a huge difference, really.

That said, I prefer XFT2 over Quartz fonts too. I want my fonts rather sharp than "pretty".
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends. I want my fonts smooth, I don't mind them blurry.

Besides, you may not have (or you may have) enabled subpixel hinting (aka ClearType (TM))
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way Linux handles fonts in general, AA or no AA but preferably AA :) The reason being in KDE/Gnome or whatever WM, we can set global font settings that will affect all apps, and some apps can have their own custom font settings as well. With OSX, we can't change system fonts, such as System Preferences app, the text in each icon is smaller than I would like - can that be changed? Also the font on Window titles, on the desktop, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: