Gaming woes with Nforce2 :-(
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agilen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Gaming woes with Nforce2 :-( Reply with quote

I am having all sorts of problems with games. The general way it goes is the games start up fine, play for a while, then segfault at seemingly random places (its almost never the same place). This happened in America's Army, Tuxracer, and even if glxgears runs for long enough.

The system is a Shuttle XPC, the SN41G2, which has an Nforce2 IGP (GeForce4) which I am using. I have tried gentoo-sources and gaming-sources (2.4.20, the current release of each), and have played with the AGP settings, using Option "NvAgp"...it segfaults with "0" (no AGP) and "2" (agpgart), and seems to hard lock the system with "1" (nvagp). Everything except 3d seems to work fine for me.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Is it a hardware thing? (I hope not.) BIOS setting? Or are the drivers just bad for this particular setup?

I'd appreciate any insight, as it'd be nice to play some games under Gentoo.
Fmangeant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

nVidia hast just released a nForce 2 GART driver : http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0261

More info on ./ : http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/22/0342259.shtml?tid=137&tid=152&tid=185

Regards,

Frédéric Mangeant
agilen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I _think_ I've already tried that...is it the same thing as the AGPGART Nforce2 driver in the gaming-sources kernel?

Anyway, I seemed to have solved the problem....apparently the RAM I have, while claiming to run at 333mHz, is only stable at 266. So, I'll be having a word with the people who sold it to me.

What brand of memory will be stable at 333mHz?
necrosus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with an nforce 2 system i built crashing all the time at random points

It was also the RAM, at 333(166) running the Memtest-86 program generated 135000 errors!, at 266(133) everything worked fine. I think the problem is a mixture between cheap RAM and the Nforce 2 motherboards being extremely picky. Actually it also cost me 10fps :(.

Havent bought any RAM to replace my cheap RAM so i am not sure what is the best brand.
kosamae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think that RAM thing goes waaaay back with Athlon chipsets. I'm surprised there's still some problems with current boards. I've got 3 Athlons going from 800mHz to XP1800+, and I've always had to be really picky with my RAM. You probably almost make up the difference in price between AMD and comparable Intel chips with the price difference between the cheapo RAM Intel chips don't seem to have a problem with, and the stuff that AMD suggests you use.
TheAgent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same system, and I have not had any problems with games (although I haven't played a game for a very long period of time).

I'd say check to make sure that heat isn't the problem - i.e. take the case off while you game and see if that helps.

Then download the memtest86 iso and burn it to a CD and boot from there. Let it run all the way through the test and see if it comes up with any errors.

Shuttle SN41G2:
Athlon XP 2100+
512 MB Corsair PC2700
40GB Maxtor
NForce2 Soundstorm, VGA, Network
agilen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, memtest86 reports no errors. But from what I can gather from other boards around the net, the Crucial memory that I've got doesn't run too well with the sn41g2 using the on-board graphics. So, I can either get a new graphics card, or get different RAM.
TheAgent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go the new RAM route, which would definitely be cheaper, you can nab a 512 stick of Corsair PC2700 from newegg for ~$50, IIRC. My sn41g2 loves this stick of Corsair.

Shuttle SN41G2:
Athlon XP 2100+
512 MB Corsair PC2700
40GB Maxtor
NForce2 Soundstorm, VGA, Network
Glorandar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Carefully choose your nforce2 motherboard's memory Reply with quote

Quote:
the problem is a mixture between cheap RAM and the Nforce 2 motherboards being extremely picky

I had a long odyssey of dealing with an unstable nforce2 system. It would corrupt the operating system install (under windows XP), it would also crash during games. I couldn't get linux to install. It was just generally unstable.

It turned out my problem was memory. An experienced computer technician listened to my woes for about 30 seconds and then said: "nforce2 boards are very picky about their memory, buy the best, I use corsair's twin-x and it works great..."

My advice? Do what I finally did. Find a reputable memory maker (I chose Corsair) and then determine their recommendation for your motherboard. Buy their recommended memory and then use it. If it costs a few extra dollars... oh well, the stability is worth it, isn't it?

I am not saying you must use Corsair, I am just saying use some good reputation memory manufacturer's recommended memory with your nforce2 motherboard.

My current system (which is very stable):
ASUS A7N8X-deluxe
Athlon XP 2100+
Corsair TWINX1024-3200LL PC3200
SQLBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Nforce2 motherboard manufacturers have a list of RAM they have tested on the board that works. I suggest simply picking from that list. Normally thought, you can't go wrong with Corsair or OCZ.

Also, many Nforce2 boards are suffering that problem, even with good RAM. Look for a bios update as well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: