9%
 9%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 131

Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gents,

I always find people saying they've learnt more about GNU/Linux using Gentoo than they did with other distros. Hmmm...that's strange because I've learnt more about Linux via the Howtos, than I have via Gentoo or any other distro.

Which begs the question. Do people actually wait for distros to teach them how to use an operating system? The majority of the procedures I've learnt from Gentoo is Gentoo-GNU/Linux specific, agreed there are exceptions(I've learnt more than a dozen tips and tricks from the Gentoo forums).

However, majority of what I've learnt about GNU/Linux is via the numerous Howtos, and guides on GNU/Linux.

/me quits ranting

Oh yeah, I voted already.

Regards,

Mystilleef

"My logic is undeniable."
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:
Hello Gents,

I always find people saying they've learnt more about GNU/Linux using Gentoo than they did with other distros. Hmmm...that's strange because I've learnt more about Linux via the Howtos, than I have via Gentoo or any other distro.

Which begs the question. Do people actually wait for distros to teach them how to use an operating system? The majority of the procedures I've learnt from Gentoo is Gentoo-GNU/Linux specific, agreed there are exceptions(I've learnt more than a dozen tips and tricks from the Gentoo forums).

However, majority of what I've learnt about GNU/Linux is via the numerous Howtos, and guides on GNU/Linux.

/me quits ranting

Oh yeah, I voted already.

Regards,

Mystilleef

I think that a lot of people don't read howtos and manuals etc. unless something is wrong and they need to fix it. With Gentoo you have to do more yourself all the way through the install and it gives people a bit of an idea what is going on and from there they can then start doing things they would before have not thought possible. Gentoo sets people on the path of learning about linux. Obviously if we all read the howtos etc. we'd know more, but I'm not going to read any unless I need to for a reason.

Howtos are extremely useful. I've followed many myself, but as they were Gentoo howtos I guess people might lump them together with "learned through gentoo"

Puggy
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a year now. I remember it fondly. Sitting in my dark, frigid dorm room avoiding the muggy heat that is summer in the South when my friend suggested I switch from RH to Gentoo. This was after I had just installed the latest KDE from CVS and I never looked back. I kinda wish I hadn't wasted my time on the KDE upgrade, though.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:

Well that's certainly how I learned. I was a long time Slackware user before I switched over to Gentoo, I've also done development and production work on SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake, Turbo Linux, Yellow Dog, and a few others. When you're using that wide a variety of different distributions it's best to learn the most generic way to accomplish any given task since it's much more likely to apply to all the distros you use. TLDP, Google, mailing lists, forums, and IRC are still the best ways to learn how to do something, IMO.
chrispy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started with 1.2
I actually tried it just because I was tired of the way debian (I was running those special tweaked XFS install with a 2.4 kernel) was so slow at updating to newer packages and how relatively twisted the configuration files were.

Then I remembered I saw something about Sorcerer on slashdot about 3 years ago, ran a search, and guess what appeared in the results ?? an article on Gentoo. Next thing I know I was downloading it :D

So far I'm not even thinking about trying another distro. At last I now feel that I run the software I wanted, and I configured with MY preferences. and along the way I learned so many things about linux.
StuBear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started just before 1.0, came out, but didn't move completely over to Gentoo until 1.2.

Now I'm running nothing but Gentoo on my machines at home, now if I can just wean my wife off Japanese Windows...
Peach
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've waited to 1.4 to come out, then like a noob, I thought that I needed to wait for a final release...

waited rc1, rc2 but when rc3 came out I couldn't wait anymore, dl it and installed it :)
now I can't switch to anything else anymore 8)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: gentoo Reply with quote

somebody remembers Enoch? :)
green sun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystilleef wrote:

Personally, I "learned" about linux via Gentoo meaning I learned how to get around an actual, operating, Linux system using Gentoo. Where programs are installed, which config files to edit, etc.

I personally use HOWTOs for difficult things... setting up LDAP servers, creating boot floppies, but most of my learning (and I think learning is really equal to "becoming familiar with") is just in day to day operations of Gentoo. Did you become a Linux Guru just by reading HOWTOs?
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< 2weeks before sign up date
Wolfpack98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Gentoo LInux for coming on six months plus now! (Though I was introduced to Gentoo Linux sometime around September 3rd 2002..)

Dual-Booting on both laptop and desktop, but I use Gentoo predominantely!

Only computer on my home network that does *NOT* have LInux is my mother's PC... Here's hoping I can wean her off it. Heheheheh. :twisted:
Kurtz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo a couple of weeks now. I thought about it a fairly long time, the possible compiletimes put me off for a while. When I was sure I didn't need the PC for uni for a couple of weeks, I decided to take the plunge. Now I'm :D .

Gentoo is here to stay on my computer, portage is just great.
quattro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Gentoo in December '02, did a brief stint with Mandrake, and switched back to Gentoo in January. My current workstation has never had anything but Gentoo installed on it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: