Splash working during boot, but no progress bar
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Splash working during boot, but no progress bar Reply with quote

HI!

I have a working splash screen during boot, but I get no progress bar. I have search through forums and the whole internet and cannot find the answer.

This is what I have done:
- install Gentoo with installer from LiveCD
- update kernel and everything
- emerge splashutils and gentoo theme
- genkernel --splash=gentoo --no-clean all

/boot/grub/menu.lst:
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.23-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 acpi_sleep=s3_bios vga=791 splash=silent,theme:gentoo console=tty1 quiet
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.23-gentoo-r3

When I boot, I get a few messages in the console, then quickly the splash screen shows up, but I get no progress messages ("Preparing the system for boot" is the first and only message) and no progress bar. Also, I get no splash during shutdown.

When I use "verbose" instead of "silent", I get a normal boot screen (console messages) and no image at all.

Here comes the really strange thing: I did a similar installation a while ago in VMware and had the same problems. Then I made a backup with mondorescue and restored into a new VMware image and there everything worked: I got a progress bar and splash screen during shutdown. Then I compared /etc of these 2 installations and got no diff. Then I thought, maybe something strange with VMware and did not investigate further. And now I have the same problem with my installation on real hardware (Laptop).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI!

At one time, I saw a message, that /dev/tty1 is missing. Apparently, this was available after boot (udev), but not during boot. So I did (found in fbsplash HowTo):

mkdir /temp
mount --bind / /temp
mknod /temp/dev/tty1 c 4 1
umount /temp
rmdir /temp

And so I have a working progress bar in silent mode during boot and I also have a splashscreen (with progress bar) now during shutdown. :-)

I do not have a background image in verbose mode during boot though.

Thomas
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: