View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions. Reply with quote

CrankyPenguin wrote:
I've read Zachary Welch's comments on why he is forking Gentoo, Daniel Robbins's response, the proposed hierarchy change, and Geert Bevin's comments on why he left Gentoo. I also read this post on gmane. I have some questions that I want to toss out primarily to the developers but I would be interested in hearing anyone else's comments on them.

Let me state in advance that I am making no accusations nor taking any sides. Nor do I hold out some lofty hopes that the developers have infinite time on their hands to make any and all feature requests (not that I wouldn't mind :). My goal is to simply get a handle on what is going on.

My questions are:
1. What is the biz-list exactly? Welch discusses it repeatedly in his document and points to it as a some sort fo secret cabal dedicated to commercialization but I cannot find any reference to it either in the forums or on the lists page?

The -biz list was formed for the group of people working on the business side - namely, right now, Gentoo Games - to get started on that project. It's closed - it's tough to start a business in public right off the bat - but it's no secret cabal trying to control everything. It's just people discussing business (and right now the only business is Gentoo Games)... I would hope that people wouldn't expect most companies to share all of their high-level business discussions with everyone in the world.

Quote:

2. One of the things that both Welch and Bevin comment on is the lack of a "road-map" for gentoo. Let me state in advance that I never expect to see a full closed spec of the type that one sees in closed-source development but, I am curious. Has such a thing been discussed anywhere? Has anyone made any attempts to poll the feature requests in bugzilla or the forum comments into some single document?

Yes, as part of the new management system we plan to post status updates that will effectively act as a roadmap: where we are and where we're going.

Quote:

3. Bevin states that he left gentoo because of differences over the future of portage. I have seen references to "his" portage being included in Welch's fork but nothing concrete. Is there a long-term plan to move portage from Python?

We would prefer to keep it in Python for now. Python is a very good object-oriented language. It's easy to learn, easy to hack on, and very powerful.

Quote:

4. Lastly, what is the story on gentooembedded.{org, net, com} according to whois the domains are registered to to Daniel Robbins and parked at Godaddy. Are they going to become gentoo project pages at some point?

Can't answer this one, sorry - I don't know what he intends to do with them.

Quote:

Again let me state that I like Gentoo and I have no inherent bias in this matter. I am just trying to fogure out what is and is not the case.

On a different note, thanks to the developers for building such a great distro in the first place!

-CP

Thanks to the users for allowing us to explain what's going on :)
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
Any good distros will have growing pains-- gentoo included.

Whether it'll be gentoo or zynot that will stick around to the end, or whether both will-- they community will decide that. I'll try zynot if people tell me if it's good :)

When Geert Bevin left gentoo, he said:

Quote:

"There was however one outstanding issue. We were afraid of Daniel Robbins' tendency to monopolise and his habit of vetoing to enforce his opinion."

I wonder if this is really true considering everything this guy said.. I haven't had any contact with drobbins so I can't say personally :)

Mark Geurtin (sp?) also left recently for similiar problems with drobbins.. considering that he almost singlehandly made the ppc port as good as it is today (and personally answered my questions when I was installing it :) ), it makes me think.

Something else that should make you think: since leaving, Gerk has repeatedly trolled Slashdot as 'Anonymous Coward' (and admitted it was him). He posts lies and half-truths. He paints drobbins as this Stalin-esque character. As for lies, he has posted things like a claim that we had a pirated copy of UT2003 at LWE in January - in fact, it was a retail box. He's claimed that Ryan Gordon personally hates drobbins - Ryan went to a movie with drobbins, klieber, pfeifer, and seemant (did I miss anyone?) during E3 and has worked closely with us on Gentoo Games material.

This is not intended to be mudslinging, but you need to take that into consideration when making a decision about the validity of Gerk's statements.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN: I feel that you have summed up the issue pretty well.

It seems to be related to money and money will always create these types of issues. Zach and bevein wants to make Gentoo into a profit center and use the work already done by the Gentoo developers in order to do in addition to changes they make in order for Gentoo run on embedded devices among other things. This is fine and best of luck to them, but I can't see why it is important to start dissecting the whole development process of Gentoo.

The developers are difficult??? Geezzz.. How many of you read the Linux Kernel Development mailinglist on a daily basis? If you do, you will realize that Linux himself is not exactly the easiest person to deal with. Does that make him unsuitable for the postition he has? Nope. He *is* Mr. Linux, no more needs to be said. When it comes to Gentoo, I feel the D. Robbins *is* Mr. Gentoo. It's his baby, and it is his relentless efforts that has brought gentoo where it is today. Is Gentoo perfect? Of course not, far from it. Is it a great distro? You bet it is!

Starting to attack all of our developers and claiming they have a bad attitude is not going to bring Gentoo anywhere. Granted, you will find people among our developers who have less than desirable social skill, but does that make them less of a good developer? Nope, their job is to develop, not deal with all the characters on these boards. That is my and my mod and admin collegues job. I personally would prefer to see the developers here in the forums as little as possible, that (I would hope) means they work on developing rather than shooting the breeze here :)

karl11, lin_matt and others ahve done a good job putting together ebuilds for Gnome 2.3.3 which is highly development releases and not sutiable for inclusion into even the unstable Portage tree. If they feel hurt because of this and end up in a verbal fight with foser, the maintainer and developer of Gnome ebuilds, so be it. It is not symptomatic for gentoo development and is a pure add-on for those who can not wait until a pre-release of the next version of Gnome or to the actual release. Fine, that is what PORTDIR_OVERLAY is meant to handle. I personally find the solution with breakmygentoo.org and user contributed ebuilds to work fine. This way people who don't mind spending hours upon hours of time trying to get this stuff compiled and hunting down bugs, can get to the goodies and have fun. But don't expect this to be included in even the unstable Portage tree.

Erik
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
I personally would prefer to see the developers here in the forums as little as possible, that (I would hope) means they work on developing rather than shooting the breeze here :)

Pfft. :)
hanta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
IWBCMAN: I feel that you have summed up the issue pretty well.

Yup. That's pretty much how I feel also.

Even though I'm a (windows, shame on me) C++ developer, I can't really
see any point in porting portage to C++. It's fast enough as it is, and
in any case most of the time is used compiling which wouldn't be any
faster even if portage was written in assembler.

Maybe porting would be a fun project, but nothing more.

Gentoo is the reason I stopped dual booting, I hope it's also the
reason I really start to program for linux (at home at least. Too few
linux jobs available here in Finland).

Last edited by hanta on Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanta wrote:
I can't really see any point in porting portage to C++. It's fast enough as it is, and in any case most of the time is used compiling which wouldn't be any faster even if portage was written in assembler.

This is one of the ridiculous perceptions. The speed hit in portage comes from traversing a lot of files (the portage tree is large these days) and it doesn't matter what language portage is written in, the bottle neck is the disk i/o speeds.

The only way to make portage fast is to use a suitable small/efficient db (shameless plug for Metakit) so queries and updates are fast.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
pygoscelis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
Our history of developer recruitment should show that we are always looking for people with great ideas and - this is the important part - great _implementation_ of ideas.

(If you want, I can provide more detail here.)

Please do.
davisjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked upon this entire thread with great interest. The developers who left either had in Welch's case business motives that he assumed that drobbins understood...apparently he did not. The other developer example, seemed to take the "I am going to take my toys and go homr " approach.

Speaking of the overall situation, all this is is management growing pains played out in the open to some degree. From personal observation, starting and growing a business is quite difficult and involves a lot of personalities. In addition, and I admit I do not know the developers so I could be wrong, but I would be willing to say most of the head developers did not graduate from college with a degree in business administraton nor have a lot of prior management experience. With gentoo growing like it is, these are just growing pains that every business goes through. Personalities clash, people get pissed and leave..some are even selfish and have their own monetary interest. Regardless of it all, gentoo will still continue to grow, will continue to flourish, and will continue to have one of the greatest communities in the history of Unix. I say chalk up the rest of this to growing pains, and I would suggest that egos be laid aside for the good of the company so to speak.

Just my two cents....
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I never really understood the want/need to port Portage to C++. C++ isn't going to download the tarballs any faster or make gcc compile more quickly.

I suppose Portage in C might be less breakable, ie if Python goes down your packaging system wouldn't. But I'll take that risk for Python's readability/hackability/less bugs/ease of use any day of the week.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pygoscelis wrote:
avenj wrote:
Our history of developer recruitment should show that we are always looking for people with great ideas and - this is the important part - great _implementation_ of ideas.

(If you want, I can provide more detail here.)

Please do.

Most recent example off the top of my head:
JJW on IRC has this interesting implementation of deltas as an alternative to downloading full distfiles. Seemant has been working with him to get it to a point where we can use it - at which time he'll get dev status.
djk29a
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider Gentoo and its technologies as more of a set of ideas rather than a distribution. As someone interested in embedded systems development, I'm inclined to support anyone who wishes to develop in the field. But that's just a sidenote.

If he claims to have invested a lot in Gentoo, then he's taking a gamble by forking off Gentoo and continuing his efforts. If he was just a mud-slinger, he'd probably just stomp off with some angry words. This developer has inspiration and some ideas, and I welcome any such person to try their hand at a distro (yes, there's a lot now, but diversity shouldn't hurt much especially since Gentoo's userbase is quite large now). A good distro will do well in its target audience and a poor one will just flop - simple as that.

Forget the politics for now - we have a new distro in the works. Cheer up folks.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djk29a wrote:
Forget the politics for now - we have a new distro in the works. Cheer up folks.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I suppose this was just an outlet for me to let out some frustrations that I've had. Honestly, I don't have anything against Gentoo or even the devs as a collective, though some specific personalities got on my nerves, which I guess should be expected. I don't appologies for my statements because they're my opinions, however I'll no longer sit here bashing anyone for anything and take Gentoo and its devs as a collective that have pieced together a great distro.

Maybe this is a good thing, as it seems to have shaken up the ranks a bit and some changes are on the way. If those changes are as good as the overall distro is, then I really can't complain. :)
cult hero
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that gets to me the most in all of this... am I the only one that things that someone who starts/founds/gets something off the ground as the head of it all gets a couple privilages of rank? Daniel Robbins got the ball rolling. What's it they say in History of the World? "It's good to be the king."

I don't care IF he runs things like a dictator because, as Zach has shown in the world of GPL anyone can give any draconion dictator the finger and take the code they invested in (or didn't invest in) and take it in the direction they like. Competition will either weed out a loser or, in the case of something like KDE and Gnome, give us a few extra choices and more than one very nice project to play with and use.

So even if a few people got pissed off at Daniel Robbins for this and that, big deal. Let'm do their own thing. I'm happy for them. However... the nature of the beast is this, if he's as bad as some of these guys make him out to be then MOST of the team would be leaving, not a few egomaniacs and Gentoo would fall apart. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Gentoo is still running and running nicely. When it stops... the users and the developers will jump ship. End of line.

I've found this amusing, especially to see how a lot of ill informed individuals who really don't know anything about this are all over the place trashing Gentoo and Daniel Robbins. They don't seem to get it that the market takes care of itself. And lemme say something else... Gentoo has bread A LOT of jealousy out there. A whole lot. All you gotta do is check Slashdot any time they mention Gentoo.

And don't mind me, I'm in a surly mood and just had to beat down a bunch of self righteous "Debian is the ONLY distro" asshats.
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the interesting situation with Gentoo is that many of the users are developers themselves. So what I find completely unacceptable is for the Gentoo developers to "pull rank" on the users. That is, to 1) keep users out of the decision making process, 2) ignore user input, or 3) treat users in a condescending fashion.

I feel like the distinction between user and developer is narrower in the Gentoo community than most anywhere else. Anyone who has installed Gentoo as of now is on there way to and should be given some respect.

What this situation has shown me is that there are almost no barriers to competition with this distribution. Someone can set up a website with phpBB and bugzilla, start an rsync and source server, grab a current snapshot of the Gentoo OS, and start a fork. That means that the only difference between Gentoo and Zynot is the support of its user community.
Community is the important word. Without the community there is no Gentoo (in my opinion).

That being said, I don't see very much wrong in Gentoo, except maybe a few bad decisions made by inexperienced management. I am happy to hear avenj say that the core Gentoo organization will become nonprofit (Good Idea!). Keep the core open and transparent and make your business in the peripherals (i.e. Gentoo Games).
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dupe #1. moderator please delete.

Last edited by scott_ell on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dupe #2. moderator please delete.

scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dupe #3. moderator please delete.

tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWBCMAN wrote:
to rewriting portage:

if re-writing portage in c++ means that the ebuilds will no longer have there current simple syntax and functionality- I have no interest in such a change-even if it would be "faster". I do not program in c++, and am not willing to learn it in order to maintain my portage tree. I am sure there are lots of benefits to c++ but it is the simplicity of the ebuilds that keeps me with gentoo....it gives me the feeling that I can contribute, and that I can have some level of control over my own system.

I think portage could highly benefit of a compiled version and it can be done while preserving current ebuilds syntax compatibility. The main problem with Python (and any interpreter for that matter) is the lack of performance. That particular issue may not affect everyone but it is a concern when dealing with embeded systems. Of course, normally, you don't run the portage tools everyday or every minutes, but if you do use them often, it becomes an issue.

I do development for low end system and the fact that Gentoo is a source-base distribution is what as draw me to it. I tried it on a 486-66. I'm sorry to tell you, altough it will install, the python scripts just make that unusable (boot took about 10 minutes, "emerge sync" took about 30, and so forth).

Portage has is not an easy thing to customize. Not everybody knows Python, and if you ever have roamed thrue the code, you question yourself on the design (not even comments to help you out).

And for those who argue that Python works on many platforms, well, with gcc, the same C source codes comile on many platforms too (hence, why there is gentoo for that many). Python sole good argument is it's ability to perform fast programming, but in my book, it is to the detriment of slow usability adn, until proven otherwise, you develop once and use many time.

IWBCMAN wrote:
to Zynot:

Zach wants to do his own thing for emedded gentoo-ish linux. great. more power to him. his stuff has no impact on gentoo, as it is, and is of no interest to anyone not pursuing embedded stuff-he has no plans to make a generic linux distro-accordig to his own documents on his website-so this stuff is of no import for your average gentoo user/developer(this includes you lovechild-I would hate to loose you-but I have no fear-because what zach wants to do has nothing to do with gentoo as a great generic met-distro of linux)

I'm not very good in politics. Sure, I heard often about the houpelas in the Gentoo's high spheres. The fact that those sayings kept on coming only confirmed that something had to give.

I personnaly welcome very much a fork, in anything. When someone wants to fork, it is because, as a developper, you feel that you can no more contribute to it as it is. When your not happy with how things are and you make things changes, you have three choices: you shut up and do something else; you shut up and unhappily continue contributing; you shut up and take the whole darn thing and make it yours to do whatever pleases you.

It is one of the good things of Open Source. Anyone can fork it. It is, in my view, a good thing. It ensure every developper's a right of regard on how things should be. It promotes diversifications, improvments, cooperation and make things go forward. At the end, the users make the final choices.

IWBCMAN wrote:
as to Daniel Robbins:

I have never met the man, I do not know him personally. He has created the greatest linux distro this world has ever seen. Please keep up the great work.

I too, never saw/heard/met the man. But it is pretty much well established that he has a controling caracter. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Be and let be. It is to others to decide how to deal with him. Zach made his choice.

You have to live up to how you deal with your business or project. Open Source development seeks collaboration. It is mentionned, in a earlier post, that Robbins is to Gentoo what Torvalds is to Linux, it is true. But I think (presumtion on my part) that Linus seem to have much more diplomacy skills when dealing with compromises.

It is also said that the development circle is closed and that simply kills the drive of Open Source development. It is something similar that I beleive has happenned to Sorcerer, which gave birth not to one, but two forks. Bottom line is, when a project gets big, it needs leadership, not dictatorship.

All things I do, I do them wide open according to my vision of things. It is often done to respond to a need, but, with time, as you add on stuffs, the needs get diversified and, altough you can try to make as much people happy with what you do, you must remain focus on your vision. If someone can't see himself fit into that, they are more than welcome to take the code and modify it to their needs (provided what remains my work is accordingly credited to me). I will have no scrupule to look at those forks and import back what is better than what I did myself. When you try to prevent fork to impose your vision, you have a problem and I think it is wrong, but that's politic.

IWBCMAN wrote:
as to non-profit vs. business interests:

... I too was unaware that gentoo was a for-profit. thas ok with me-because I refuse to absolutely religious about such issues... Of course I do not agree with all things done by gentoo-like embracing and endorsing the US military during the war ...

I have a problem with that.

---

My 2 cents:

Forks are good. Forks are your friends. I keep an eye open on any forks of Gentoo that will occur. Yes, I'm like a hore. If I wasn't, I'd still be using Slackware. Forks insure that every possibilities are being explored rather than narrowed to a single one minded vision (refering to close source). I'm always checking what is being done and always willing to give the runner a chance.

I welcome this fork harms wide open and check out what will be the end result of their work. It does not impair Gentoo at all, quite the contrary, it may make Gentoo even better.

Me happy.
Roy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not think forks are that good. They divide communities, resources, and dilute branding (which is so important to a successful product). However, sometimes there just is no other choice.

I believe a fork only ever occurs when there is something very wrong in the way a project is managed. If this was just one disgruntled developer then he could go off, announce a fork, but why would any other developers change to the new fork?

I do not think this fork has occured because Gentoo is run like a dictatorship. If you look at the Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds IS the man in charge. Nothing gets put into the kernel without his say, and yet I never hear about any major forks of the kernel. The reason being that Linus is very good at politics. He can manage people well, and must be willing to make compromises. I remember reading an article that had Linus saying he didn't believe a preemptive kernel was necessary, and yet now 2.5.x has preemption as part of the main tree. Maybe Daniel doesn't have those skills.

It all comes down to attitude I think. I have read the article from Zach Welch
, and I have read the response from Daniel Robbins. I have to say Zach comes across as the more mature person here. He clearly stated his reasons for what he is doing, and while it may be tainted by his own feelings he fairly honest about everything. Unfortunatly I thought Daniel's response was fairly immature and childish. I read it and immediatly thought of a 6 year old kid having an argument with someone and having no other comback than to scream "YEAH? Well ... You're A LIAR!" I would really like to hear both sides of the story, and I think it's important that it happens as this is probably one of the worst things that can happen to any project.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
I personally do not think forks are that good. They divide communities, resources, and dilute branding (which is so important to a successful product). However, sometimes there just is no other choice.

I believe a fork only ever occurs when there is something very wrong in the way a project is managed. If this was just one disgruntled developer then he could go off, announce a fork, but why would any other developers change to the new fork?

vladimir and jmorgan are personal, offline friends of Zach. They live in the same place. Draw your own conclusions.

Gerk is a former developer with some serious issues who has taken to being a Slashdot troll. I used to have respect for Gerk; I lost that when he started resorting to lies and trolling. I feel that is a very depressing situation, right there.

nall hasn't been particularly involved with Gentoo for a while. I don't know what his story is.

Quote:

I do not think this fork has occured because Gentoo is run like a dictatorship. If you look at the Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds IS the man in charge. Nothing gets put into the kernel without his say, and yet I never hear about any major forks of the kernel. The reason being that Linus is very good at politics. He can manage people well, and must be willing to make compromises. I remember reading an article that had Linus saying he didn't believe a preemptive kernel was necessary, and yet now 2.5.x has preemption as part of the main tree. Maybe Daniel doesn't have those skills.

It all comes down to attitude I think. I have read the article from Zach Welch
, and I have read the response from Daniel Robbins. I have to say Zach comes across as the more mature person here. He clearly stated his reasons for what he is doing, and while it may be tainted by his own feelings he fairly honest about everything. Unfortunatly I thought Daniel's response was fairly immature and childish. I read it and immediatly thought of a 6 year old kid having an argument with someone and having no other comback than to scream "YEAH? Well ... You're A LIAR!" I would really like to hear both sides of the story, and I think it's important that it happens as this is probably one of the worst things that can happen to any project.

I have had discussions with Daniel about whether or not he should reply with a point-by-point contradiction. I recommended that he avoid doing that because too many people would perceive it as being just mudslinging.

I have been personally aware of Zach's issues for some time. I can tell you that much of what Zach said is misleading or incorrect.
Roy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
I have had discussions with Daniel about whether or not he should reply with a point-by-point contradiction. I recommended that he avoid doing that because too many people would perceive it as being just mudslinging.

I have been personally aware of Zach's issues for some time. I can tell you that much of what Zach said is misleading or incorrect.

That is quite probably true. All I'm saying is thats the way it appears at the moment. I know it must be a very hard situation but I believe wild speculation can be just as bad as the apearance of mud slinging. A response doesn't have to give the appearance of mud slinging. My advice is to write up an article exactly the same way Zach did. It doesn't have to be written as a rebuttal.

It could be done along the lines of "A fork has occured. Zach Welch has decided that it would be best for him if he started a parralel development project. He came to this descision through personal disagreements with myself blah blah blah for these reasons blah blah blah. We wish him luck and all success with his new project."

I first read about this on Slashdot, and thats where I first found the link to Daniel Robbins response. People there came to the same sorts of conclusions I did. His response was an empty post that did nothing but say "You're a liar. I have my own version of what happened, but I'm not going to tell anyone what that version is" so the only version of the events is what Zach said, and if it is bullshit then that version of events does not help Gentoo, or give people any real confidence in the way it is managed.

If you go read those comments you will see a lot of people coming out saying "Yeah, he is right. Gentoo developers don't listen to the community... It is a dictatorship... I saw this coming for months... Another guy left for the same reason..." and so on.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewriting portage in C++ won't really make it much faster; however - splitting into a ebuild server and client will. The server (say, ebuildd) caches all the ebuilds in memory, and can do the chores of handling dependencies and syncing the tree; the client (portage) merely asks "What is the status of <package> and dependencies?" and proceeds to do as they please with that information - compile, package, print. Of course, this may make ebuild debugging a little harder since you'll have to force a refresh of the cached ebuild after editing.

The smaller the project, the better the chances of fork survival. Gentoo is a huge project. A fork will not work well - it is a very complex system that needs to be fully understood. Similiarly for the XFree86 fork, but at least there is solid documentation about X11 protocols and APIs.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
Rewriting portage in C++ won't really make it much faster; however - splitting into a ebuild server and client will. The server (say, ebuildd) caches all the ebuilds in memory, and can do the chores of handling dependencies and syncing the tree; the client (portage) merely asks "What is the status of <package> and dependencies?" and proceeds to do as they please with that information - compile, package, print. Of course, this may make ebuild debugging a little harder since you'll have to force a refresh of the cached ebuild after editing.

The smaller the project, the better the chances of fork survival. Gentoo is a huge project. A fork will not work well - it is a very complex system that needs to be fully understood. Similiarly for the XFree86 fork, but at least there is solid documentation about X11 protocols and APIs.

You're suggesting caching many megabytes of ebuilds in memory?
Woland
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel I need to out in my $0.02 in because I am so well respected here in these here fora, and I know many of you just would not get a decent night's sleep if I did not fully expound my half-baked opinions.

I am sorry that Robbins made anyone cry. Bad, bad Robbins.

Of course the lachrymose individual in question made himself sound like a grade A whiner. "I put in sweat equity, I am not just a volunteer." :cry:

Phttht!

When I hack together my crappy e-builds, I sweat plenty, (don't belive me? Do you really want proof?) and without feeling entitled. Oh, yes, I also did contribute financially, and my only regret is that I did not specify distinctly that the mony I give must go for beer. And not mass produced swill water masquerading as beer at that.

Now, belive you me, I am not shocked that more than one person thought that one or more of the developers was a bastard. I always kind of figgured they were---after all they live in places like California. But hell, they put out some damn good work so maybe they can be a bit arrogant. I must say that I feel that I have a far better shot at getting my voice heard by my distro in Gentoo than I ever had when I was using Redhat. Debian too, for that matter. But some random hurling of insults is probaly good for the devels. Keeps them humble. Lets them know that we appreciate their work.

As to what language Portage should be written in, there is only one logical choice---Lisp. My own fork will come when I get a lot of free time, I will re-implement the entire distro in Lisp---from the install to qpkg. Maybe I will add a Lisp kernel as well. Then you better beleive I'll get arrogant.

In closing, I would just like to add that I spent my first significant length of time on IRC in nine years on #gentoo last night trying to penetrate to "sectret kabal" that runs the distro from there. One of the "fearless leaders" mentioned in the "whine-o-gram" was even there.

Seemant told me to go away, but did not kick me off. Which was nice enough considering the nuisance I was making of myself, and the fact that after nine years of avoiding IRC I kept forgetting to type / before commands.
Sargon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanta wrote:
Even though I'm a (windows, shame on me) C++ developer, I can't really see any point in porting portage to C++. It's fast enough as it is, and in any case most of the time is used compiling which wouldn't be any
faster even if portage was written in assembler.

After reading Bevin's reasons why he left gentoo, the issue in my eyes is not whether portage should be written in Python or C++. It's more the style how the decision was made. OTOH, I only saw/read what Bevin had to say on this subject, which can be biased. (although his statements/reasonings were, well.. reasonable in my eyes)

Since it's hardly possible to get the parties involved on one table and discuss the whole matter objectively, I guess it's best to rest the case.

hanta wrote:
Gentoo is the reason I stopped dual booting, I hope it's also the reason I really start to program for linux (at home at least. Too few linux jobs available here in Finland)

That's why I've decided to port our application at work (which runs under Solaris/Windows) to Linux. If there's no Linux-job available, turn your current job into one. :)

Sargon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: