View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flash Fire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Having an issue with X. Reply with quote

So I'm relatively new to using Gentoo... I have it installed on my desktop fine, but my end goal is to use KDE as a graphical desktop and I'm having trouble getting the X session to actually run.

When I do startx in the console, my nVidia graphics card fan slows down (tells me it is doing something, right) but then the screen just turns off.

I hit ctrl+alt+backspace to quit X, the screen turns back on, and I see this text on the screen:

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Cannot register with ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

Anybody have any ideas what went wrong? =/
Flash Fire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I emerged dbus and started the service, which got rid of that last error message. Now, I'm having the same problem (monitor turns off, X doesn't work) and I get this error message on the console:

xinit: Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11): Cannot register with ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.CkConnector.Error: Unable to open session: The ame org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
xinit: connection to X server lost.

I don't even know what it's talking about.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error was bothering me too (this thread).

I got rid of the error message by re-emerging consolekit (and adding it to the runlevel with rc-update).
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tariella wrote:
This error was bothering me too (this thread).

I got rid of the error message by re-emerging consolekit (and adding it to the runlevel with rc-update).

I got a message today that gnome couldn't find consolekit on startup. I upgraded Gnome 2.2 a month ago and have never seen this message - consolekit has never been enabled. Today, Gnome would refuse to load and would stop on the splash screen and would only start when I ran the init script consolekit.

consolekit doesn't have a man page. What is consolekit and why do I need it?

Update:

Upon next restart X locked up again, so perhaps this doesn't have to do with consolekit. What eventually fixed the problem for me was erasing files in /tmp. The file /tmp/gconfd-user/ior cause the problem. /tmp can be erased on boot by editing the /etc/conf.d/bootmisc config file.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: