Pre-Install: fdisk, grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yogi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Pre-Install: fdisk, grub Reply with quote

I am going to install Gentoo, and I'd like to clear a few points before I start (and possibly damage anything).

I have an existing 3GB harddisk (hda) that contains Windows 2000 and RedHat 6.x, and I am using lilo as the bootloader.

Recently, I bought a new 40 GB disk (hdb), where I would like to install Gentoo. Further, I want grub as a bootloader and I want to get rid of the existing RedHat installation, and give some more space to Windows on hda.

Here are the questions:
1) during the gentoo install, can I use fdisk to create a NTFS partitition on hda?
2) can I replace the lilo MBR by the grub MBR, by simply issuing
Code:
grub> setup (hd0)

Thanks a lot for any help.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) mkfs cannot create NTFS afaik - only FAT

2) yes - but u will have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf in addition
yogi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the quick and useful reply.

1) fat is fine too, I guess I can reformat it in w2k as ntfs.
Milamber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yogi,

Some advice :
-if you still regularly use Win2k, don't remove the Win2k bootloader. In fact, leave /dev/hda1 alone. Instead, install grub on /dev/hdb and use the dd to boot gentoo from the w2k bootloader(modify the boot.ini file in windows). This saves you some more trouble when you have to fix Windows with your Windows install disk.

-Linux can't write to an NTFS partition. You may want to FAT32 instead for your old Red Hat partition so you could write some data from Linux that W2k can read.

:D
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux CAN write to NTFS, however it's still in the experimental stage.
Milamber
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have to qualify my statement ! :)

It CAN but only if you can afford the risk of corrupting the whole filesystem. If you can spare a partition and some backed-up data, sure, why not. But if you're writing to an NTFS partition containing your C:\WINNT, dude, you're asking for trouble. :P

Make sure to specify read-only in /etc/fstab for the NTFS partition that you can't afford to mess up.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm sorry to butt in on this topic, but I have a similar setup. But I don't think my question is important enough to have a thread all of it's own. If I edit fstab and one or more of my partitions is formated in reiserfs, do I write reiserfs all in lower case, or Reiserfs with the first letter in upper case. The install instructions are not very clear on that. Can anyone possibly be kind enough to clarify this for me? Also the install instructions say nothing about copying the System.map file to the /boot partition after compiling the Kernel, but I have haerd several people here say that it should be done. Why is it necessary and what difference does it make?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---> all lowercase works for me

---> System.map is used for tracing bugs and oops messages afaik - it is not necessary usually...
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yogi

the other posters r right - NTFS write support is very risky - it may crash a whole partition...better to stay with FAT

depending on your hardware u might be interested in vmware, pax86 and wine for running windows and windows applications.

another solution is to get a old cheap box (K6, P MMX or the like), another network card and set up a fileserver with samba. u can access samba shares very easy and convienient from both OS...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: