Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should the Gentoo secret lists be world-readable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the secret lists be world-readable?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 134 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 67 ]
Total Votes : 201

clumsyninja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate it when mommy and daddy fight :?

seriously though, i can see both sides of the issue here. open and free is good, and is the basis upon which gentoo (and gnu/linux in general) has become as successful as it has. however, as one of the posters commented, private converations will still occur via irc, email, phone, carrier pigeon, etc...

how to solve it?
perhaps release the core list after a period of time, giving everyone a chance to see the 'nuts and bolt' in the creation process of their favorite distro.

personally, i am too busy to get into the daily chase of information, but perhaps it would make for an interesting read on a lazy afternoon...

just a thought...
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this discussion goes on and on, but I still don't see a reason to make the list public. It's possible that I need more Zen in my life, but I don't see the point why this list should be made public (while the devs move on to a 'secret' place). What do you expect to be revealed by this?
ThreeFarthingStone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Barrier to Entry Reply with quote

BradB wrote:
The problem with having non-readable lists is that you create a barrier to entry. People can't just lurk for a while, and then start contributing. They need to get the attention of the developers by doing something special (something that may already be worked on in the core group), then get invited to the group, then learn about how things work.
Look at the Xfree core group & how that boiled over.
Again, although you don't have to be open, when using GPL code, openness is the spirit of GPL.

Brad

From what I've read, it seems that people do lurk, in the forums and on the other mailing lists. They contribute their free bug reports and new ebuilds to Bugzilla, create variations of portage, develop unofficial unstable ebuilds, etc. which other people can use. Soon, they might even be submitting "Gentoo Linux Enhancement Proposals".

Of course, the core developers get to pick what ebuilds to use and invite what developers they want, but otherwise, Gentoo would have many unmaintained ebuilds and unqualified developers. Thus, it can be good to have a "barrier to entry".
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrier to Entry Reply with quote

ThreeFarthingStone wrote:
Of course, the core developers get to pick what ebuilds to use and invite what developers they want, but otherwise, Gentoo would have many unmaintained ebuilds and unqualified developers. Thus, it can be good to have a "barrier to entry".

The development team can still pick whom they want and filter out bad ebuilds. Being transparent by making the list world-readable doesn't change ownership or relinquish control. It simply garners trust through full-disclosure and helps newbie developers get up to speed faster.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrier to Entry Reply with quote

nadamsieee wrote:
ThreeFarthingStone wrote:

The development team can still pick whom they want and filter out bad ebuilds. Being transparent by making the list world-readable doesn't change ownership or relinquish control. It simply garners trust through full-disclosure and helps newbie developers get up to speed faster.

Can you explain how?

I can't see this as a valid argument for making the list public. If you really have that much interest in what the developers do and how they communicate during the development process, why don't you join the ranks and get access.

I have a feeling that 99.9% of all gentoo userds (I'm for sure one of them) have no interest in what goes on between the developers on that list other than out of pure curiosity.

I feel that most of the development is in the open and available, why the need to what's on the list?

Erik
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that -core should be private in general, but I'd like to see a public archive with older posts (say 1 or 2 months old) as there are sometimes discussions mentioned on -dev or bugs.g.o. that might be interesting (due to policy they should have been on -dev I guess). That approach would respect most concerns:
- users can't write to -core
- sensitive information is not revealed instantly but only after it is no longer sensitive
- no flaming threads about current discussions on -core
- users can see what has been discussed on -core

Of course there might still be reasons against this.

As long as -core is not readable by users some will complain as they think there is something interesting going on there (because it is "secret") and you can't proove them the opposite.
pYrania
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is total bs. Devs need a place to share and discuss their ideas without having to deal with hundreds of people who give their personal non interesting position to a topic that might be rundant at all.

all open source projects i worked with had some kind of private area to discuss things the publicity hasn't to know about.
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the ire this issue seems to provoke. First of all, -core isn't "secret", it's "private". Devs are permitted to (and often do) share the information there more widely. But -core gives them a place to communicate and share ideas without having to package it for public consumption or worry about public reaction to ideas that are only tentative.

I have worked on lots of software projects, and trust me on this, if a private forum for communication is not provided, it will evolve, because teams need privacy to do their job efficiently. If we make -core world-readable, then much of those conversations will move to PMs, private channels, etc. That isn't a cabal, that's human nature. No-one wants to work out their thoughts and uncertainties on a stage.

And "open" doesn't mean "public". "Open" means that the results, decsions, and rationales are provided to the public WHEN THEY ARE COMPLETE. Want to be part of the process? That's easy - start fixing things on bugzilla, make some intelligent suggestions, and you will be asked to join. Welcome to the meritocracy.
BradB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have worked on lots of software projects, and trust me on this, if a private forum for communication is not provided, it will evolve, because teams need privacy to do their job efficiently

The linux kernel mailing list looks like it does quite well.
The point is moot. From almost 200 votes, two-thirds of people think that the secret lists should be world readable. Until this debacle I was unaware of the -code list, that makes it secret in my book.
Obviously this is a storm in a tea-cup for the tiny percentage of people who bothered to vote.

I say we close this topic as it will ultimately not have any effect on whether or not the lists will be made world readable.
The people running Gentoo should just tell everyone who wants the lists readable to shut-up & contribute if they really want to read the gossip on -core.

Wait - that's what has already been happening in this thread.

Maybe Gentoo just needs some rules on how it is governed, so we all understand where we are. Is it actually a meritocracy?

Brad
scott_ell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:

I feel that most of the development is in the open and available, why the need to what's on the list?

I'll give you an example:

The Bush administration had (has?) an "Energy Task Force." This team sets the national energy policy for America. It is a secret group. The identity of the members are secret and the policy discussed is secret. Some of the people involved were private industry figures, including former CEO of Enron Kenneth Lay. What's most worrying is Cheney is a former CEO of an energy company so God only knows what deals were made. You can read about it here.

Wouldn't we all like to know what went in on there? Now, a lot of American's couldn't give a crap what went on, but some of us do. Am I being a bit dramatic comparing this to a Gentoo mailing list you say? Oh yes (as always), but the principle is the same.

Transparency is a must in open source software because there are no natural barriers to entry. Anyone can get to the code. To put up artificial barriers is counter-productive and will only hurt the project (read as FORK).
bradcarter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I say let it remain closed. If I have to wait longer to get an ebuild for a KDE upgrade (for example) so people can have thier transperency I think that is counter productive.

If they are being honest as to what is on that list, and I have no reason to doubt it, they are actually giving transparency to the DEVELOPMENT of gentoo. To say developers cannot have interaction without the observation of the world is absurd in my opinion. Why should they loose thier freedom because they are doing something for you.

If a developer wants to talk over an idea before proposing it to the world what does it really hurt? I am pretty sure all of us have done something simular. To me a process like this is still good:

-developer A gets an new idea that he is not sure of mentions it on -core.
-developer B thinks it might work work with X tweek, discussion then gets moved to -dev

I dont think -core should ever really get opened even after a timelock, as what if developers are discussing their personal lives amoungst the other developers who have become their friends. They may have said things that may not want to be publicly known. I for one would like the devlopers to be a nice tight knit community where it is a nice free happy working envinronment
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradB wrote:

The people running Gentoo should just tell everyone who wants the lists readable to shut-up & contribute if they really want to read the gossip on -core

I suppose I should be flattered, but I am not one of the "people running Gentoo". I'm just a user, like you, so please don't attest anything I say to be an official position. Nor, as far am I am aware, am I part of any secret cabal attempting to do anything but point out that a private list is something reasonable, useful and of value in a development process.

And I stand by the 'meritocracy' position. You shouldn't get to be part of a conversation because you've complained about your right to be present. You get invited to a conversation because you've demonstrated that you have something valuable to contribute to it. Right != privilege.
ranjit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No-one wants to work out their thoughts and uncertainties on a stage.

What about the Linux kernel list then? You can hardly say that the people on that list are particularly bothered by it, and they seem to produce some nice code ;)

Seems to me the whole point is to have the whole process in the open. 99% of users aren't interested, but if they become interested they can check stuff out. And it does make it easier to get involved, there's no question. Calling it a meritocracy doesn't stop the idea of getting involved in the way you describe being intimidating.

As for people developing private methods, that's fine, but that shouldn't be the core mailing list for development of a Free Software Project. Readable: yes. Writable: no.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: