View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Windows fonts problem in KDE Reply with quote

Repost from before the server died...

Short version: Fonts get ugly when I install Windows fonts.
Here's Konsole with standard fonts.
[img:3b990fccd0]http://fourwood.dyndns.org:81/konsole1.png[/img:3b990fccd0]

After I install the fonts using KDE Font Installer from /mnt/c/Windows/Fonts/, Konsole looks like so.
[img:3b990fccd0]http://fourwood.dyndns.org:81/konsole2.png[/img:3b990fccd0]

This is the same for other programs as well. Fonts either look distorted/corrupted, or are just bigger in size. The size doesn't bother me, but the distortion/corruption does. How can I fix this?
stustill
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are now using the windows fonts in those screenshots. You could try changing the fonts in KDE Control Centre back to Luxi Sans (I think thats what you are using in the first screenshots).

Stu
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised at all. I booted into windows just the other day, and the whole thing looked ugly to me.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps try running fc-cache?
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't seem to have an effect.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EzInKy wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. I booted into windows just the other day, and the whole thing looked ugly to me.

So it's not only me who finds Windows ugly after using Linux/KDE? :-)
fourwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... a little messing around with local.conf and XF86Config I managed to get basically every font other than the konsole font to be how it used to be. Konsole sadly is still that ugly font. Now I guess the problem is... where do I get my konsole font choices from? It won't let me pick fonts like Luxi Mono, which looks like what I want from selecting it in Gnome's terminal. None of these fonts seem to want to look very good in my Konsole... but I don't get a very large selection.
bertvv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems and I've even been able to solve them! Your screenshots appear to be gone, so I'm not sure if the following is going to be useful at all.

After installing some True Type fonts using the Font Installer of the KDE Control Centre, fonts in X were totally messed up. In the Appearance|Font section of the Control Centre, e.g. Helvetica (but also lots of others) showed as some kind of serif font. The font in Konsole was also a serif with lots of space between letters.

I did a lot of fidgeting (removing the new fonts, etc.), reading logs and black magic (with a.o. ttmkfdir, a tool that I don't understand, but the Font de-uglification HOWTO mentioned it...). I even re-emerged xfree and freetype (the font renderer). All to no avail. But about an hour ago: :idea: !! To find out if you have the same problem as me, do the following. I don't know your level of experience with Linux, so I'll just try to explain it as simply as I can. My apologies if I overdo it a little, but maybe other people can benefit from it, too...

• Make sure that xdm (kdm, gdm, whatever) is not running. We need the text that appears on the screen if you do startx and *dm hides it. Executing
    Code:
    rc-update del xdm default
    and rebooting should do the trick. Unless there's a clean way to shutdown kdm of which I'm not aware.
  • login as a normal user and start X manually with startx.
  • Go to the virtual terminal that you used to log in by pressing ALT+CTRL+F1. You should see a lot of text that was printed while starting up X. Look for text like:
    Quote:
    Fontconfig error: cannot load default config file

Do you see it? Bingo! Fontconfig is the offender...

Fontconfig is a tool that intends to make configuration of X fonts easier. Unfortunately, its error messages aren't very helpful. What's the default config file it tries to load? Why does it fail? Because it doesn't exist or because it contains errors? It remains a mistery...

However, if you emerge fontconfig, your fonts should be ok the next time you start X.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,

bert[/url]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: