Gentoo on an HP dv9700t laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Gentoo on an HP dv9700t laptop Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using Linux (mainly Kubuntu) for the past 18 months, and I'm interested in moving to Gentoo. I've ordered a new laptop from HP, the dv9700t model. I'd like to know whether running Gentoo on this laptop would be feasible.

First of all, it's got an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. I know that 3D support is available for NVIDIA's cards, but would cloning/extending the desktop onto an external monitor be possible with this graphics card?

The wireless card is an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN; support exists for this chipset, but how hard would it be to implement it in Gentoo? Also, is there a graphical interface for connecting to/disconnecting from wireless networks on the fly?

There's supposed to be support for sound with unofficial patches for ALSA - does anybody know about this? The sound chipset is an Intel ICH8M, an integrated HD audio card.

Finally, can anybody that has experience with HP laptops comment on compatibility for laptop-specific features, such as power saving/hibernation and media controls?

I won't be able to do any actual testing until I receive the laptop; when I do, I'll post what works and what doesn't. Also, I'm new to Gentoo, so bear with me here :D

Thanks in advance for the help!!

srunni
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound and video should work... i think the keyboard's extra keys should work... i don't use any of that other stuff though.

note that i don't actually own that laptop, i'm just going by what i know. :wink: :lol:

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on an HP dv9700t laptop Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
Hi,

I've been using Linux (mainly Kubuntu) for the past 18 months, and I'm interested in moving to Gentoo. I've ordered a new laptop from HP, the dv9700t model. I'd like to know whether running Gentoo on this laptop would be feasible.

First of all, it's got an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. I know that 3D support is available for NVIDIA's cards, but would cloning/extending the desktop onto an external monitor be possible with this graphics card?

Probably. Let's just say, if it's possible in windows for this card, it's possible here. There's instructions in the wiki, etc.
Quote:

The wireless card is an Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN; support exists for this chipset, but how hard would it be to implement it in Gentoo? Also, is there a graphical interface for connecting to/disconnecting from wireless networks on the fly?

Not hard at all - AFAIK, the iwlwifi drivers cover this? And that's in portage, right?? Hint, hint :D

As for switching networks, if you've got KDE, kwifimanager fits the bill perfectly. And I suggest getting KDE.
Quote:

There's supposed to be support for sound with unofficial patches for ALSA - does anybody know about this? The sound chipset is an Intel ICH8M, an integrated HD audio card.

Google is your friend. Is that covered by snd-intel-hda?
Quote:

Finally, can anybody that has experience with HP laptops comment on compatibility for laptop-specific features, such as power saving/hibernation and media controls?
Gawd, that's been done in ACPI for years, hasn't it? You'll have no problem.

The media controls will probably either show up as another keyboard or as extra keys on the main keyboard - lineak is your friend.
Quote:

I won't be able to do any actual testing until I receive the laptop; when I do, I'll post what works and what doesn't. Also, I'm new to Gentoo, so bear with me here :D

Thanks in advance for the help!!

srunni

Please tell us how it goes, and http://www.linux-laptop.net/ would love to hear from you too.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on an HP dv9700t laptop Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
I suggest getting KDE.

I would never think of using another desktop environment. KDE for life :D

Quote:
Google is your friend. Is that covered by snd-intel-hda?

According to http://home.earthlink.net/~george164/dv9500t/dv9500t.html it doesn't work (the dv9500t is basically the same model, just the old version), but I emailed the guy and he said it would work with 'unofficial' patches, so it's probably not covered right now, but it will be in a future release.

Quote:
Gawd, that's been done in ACPI for years, hasn't it? You'll have no problem.

The media controls will probably either show up as another keyboard or as extra keys on the main keyboard - lineak is your friend.

I say this because I've heard of numerous problems in (K)Ubuntu with with hibernation, particularly with X or the wireless driver failing to start back up again. I've personally had problems with media keys on my desktop, and I still can't get them to work completely.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: