Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minimal CD install without Internet (emerge --sync question)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pherricoxide
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Minimal CD install without Internet (emerge --sync question) Reply with quote

I'm attempting to install Gentoo 2007 on a Dell Vostro 1400 I just got yesterday. A week ago I installed Gentoo on a desktop using the minimal CD, and all of the sources are still in /usr/portage/distfiles, so I was hoping to avoid downloading them again. When I put the install CD in I discovered that the Boadcom 5906 Ethernet in the Vostro will not work with older kernels than 2.6.20. My plan is to download the Stage3 Tarball, kernel (from kernel.org), and portage snapshot before beginning the install, along with moving all the source files from the desktop I installed last week and try to install Gentoo from the minimal CD without Internet (will put all the files on another partition of the hard drive).

My question is, how I can update the portage tree without "emerge --sync"? Can I transfer the portage tree from my Gentoo desktop to the Vostro by just copying over everything in /usr/portage/?
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don"t you want to just download the stage, snapshot and kernel while installing? You should be more concerned about getting your networking going and then build this system th same way you did your desktop.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the two systems have the same class of CPU, so they can both use the same
stage 3 binaries, then a filesystem is a filesystem. In your case I'd probably set up an
ftp server on the machine with the files on it, and find some way of booting the new machine
with something that can see the network. Even Windows will do; once the files are on the
new machine most Linux kernel setups can read windows partitions, so it's just a local copy.

Or stick in a network card which the kernel can understand, as a temporary measure.

Good luck - Will
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding you correctly, it might be better to just boot the 7.10 release of any of the *buntu flavours live discs and install Gentoo from that environment.
davascript
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, it might be better to just boot the 7.10 release of any of the *buntu flavours live discs and install Gentoo from that environment.

This is a great idea. The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO

cwr wrote:
Or stick in a network card which the kernel can understand, as a temporary measure.

This is also a great idea.

pherricoxide wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:26 pm Post subject: Minimal CD install without Internet (emerge --sync question)
I'm attempting to install Gentoo 2007 on a Dell Vostro 1400 I just got yesterday. A week ago I installed Gentoo on a desktop using the minimal CD, and all of the sources are still in /usr/portage/distfiles, so I was hoping to avoid downloading them again. When I put the install CD in I discovered that the Boadcom 5906 Ethernet in the Vostro will not work with older kernels than 2.6.20. My plan is to download the Stage3 Tarball, kernel (from kernel.org), and portage snapshot before beginning the install, along with moving all the source files from the desktop I installed last week and try to install Gentoo from the minimal CD without Internet (will put all the files on another partition of the hard drive).

My question is, how I can update the portage tree without "emerge --sync"? Can I transfer the portage tree from my Gentoo desktop to the Vostro by just copying over everything in /usr/portage/?

Do you not have extra network cards?
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Minimal CD install without Internet (emerge --sync quest Reply with quote

pherricoxide wrote:

I did just this for my last build, I'm on dial-up so a re-download is out of the question for each install, and I have new hardware that isn't supported by kernels older than .20 also. i keep a usb drive with a stage 3 and clean portage tar file and the distfiles directory under the portage tree. during your install, copy the files from your thumb drive as you need them, and once portage is installed copy your other computer's distfiles folder under the new portage directory. Once installed like this install and get your system up and working but don't install anything other than the base system yet. Once you reboot, you'll have access to the newer kernel and, of course, your networking to sync. sorry if I skipped any steps but I'm at work and on my way out the door, post here if you run into any trouble.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not temporarily install a different NIC and get Gentoo built?

There's also "emerge --fetchonly".
hitachi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Minimal CD install without Internet (emerge --sync quest Reply with quote

pherricoxide wrote:

The latest snapshot should be the tree, shouldn't it?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12
Quote:
What if rsync doesn't work for me?

If you're behind a firewall that doesn't permit rsync traffic, then you can use emerge-webrsync which will fetch and install a Portage snapshot for you through regular HTTP. See the proxy section of this document for information on downloading source files and Portage snapshots via a proxy.
malahal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu liveCD is one option but I wanted a liveCD that works from a USB stick as well. systemrescueCD is a good candidate and it will generally have later kernel than a ubuntu liveCD. I had a similar problem, so ended up using http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page (this is based on gentoo and is very small compared to ubuntu, more over, you can use a CD or USB stick). Good luck!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pherricoxide,

Copy your /usr/portage from one machine to the other. That way you have a portage tree that matches your distfiles.
Do not emerge --sync or get a portage snapshot. Its all in your /usr/portage on your existing install.
You may however need a more recent kernel, which you can get directly from kernel.org. Thats the same as emerge vanilla-sources.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: