Quick feh questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Quick feh questions Reply with quote

I have a bunch of images in a directory. How can I open one, then press a button to go to the next one (ie. what button do I press?)

Secondly, and importantly, a lot of my images are higher res than my monitor, so how can I tell feh to ALWAYS open images with the MAX size being "fullscreen" or the size of my monitor?
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When feh is given a directory name it will show the images one at at time, you can cycle through them with the arrow keys. Your using thunar? You could probably add a custom action for feh to do that.

I remember something about a .fehrc I think it was. Sorry, been a while since i used it last. It should open them how you want, Maybe there is some config examples in /usr/share/{feh,doc}
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After playing around and reading a bit, I've got to this point (hopefully someone who wants to do what I am trying to do can learn from this):

I edited .fehrc and in the line for default feh options, I put this:

Code:

# Set the default feh options to be recursive and verbose
feh -g 1320x990 --auto-zoom --zoom 100 --sort name

That does the following, in order that the commands appear:
a) -g XxY :: sets the default window size in which the images appear to be 1320x990 (my screen is 1920x1200 - used photoshop to get the scaling right)
b) auto-zoom : Zoom picture to screen size in fullscreen (affected by --stretch and --ignore-aspect).
c) --zoom : Zooms images by a PERCENT, when in full screen mode or whenwindow geometry is fixed. If combined with --auto-zoom, zooming will be limited to the the size.
d) --sort name : displays pictures sorted by their name. This option you'll want to use to get the functionality of Windows/Ubuntu image viewers)

What's cool is that the images will show up, and you can resize the window, and the NEXT picture you preview will scale to the new window dimensions. This is SIMILAR to the Windows previewer, except the Windows previewer dynamically resizes the image as the window is being resized. I don't think feh has this functionality. (Might be a nice addition?)

However, I have a few questions:

1. Once the image is resized, a transparent checkers background (ala photoshop/gimp) appears. Is there any way to set this to be some sort of colour? I.e. black, instead of the checkers?

2. I would like to have this as my defaults for feh:

Code:

feh -g 1320x990 --auto-zoom --zoom 100 --sort name .

See that period at the end? That's supposed to open the images in the current directory. It works great, however, say I'm in thunar, I want to view a picture that isn't at the beginning of the directory, with the period in my .fehrc file, if I right click in thunar and open with feh, it starts at the beginning of the directory. How can I make it so I open that picture with feh, it opens, and I can go back and forward, looking at pictures in the directory, without starting at the beginning?

3. Say I Ctrl+A and press enter. Is there a way for feh to just open one image, the first image in the directory, rather than all of them? I did that today and crashed my computer. I want to eliminate that possibility.

SOLUTION TO #3:

In ~/.fehrc, if I have this setup:

feh -g 1320x990 --auto-zoom --zoom 100 --sort name

Pressing Ctrl+A will only open the last clicked-on image. It won't open ever single one. If you JUST enter a directory, don't click on an image, and press Ctrl+A, nothing will happen. I guess in order for this to work, you MUST click on an image first. Oh, and all this is within Thunar, BTW.

FUNCTIONALITY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINDOWS PREVIEWER/UBUNTU PREVIEWER AND FEH FROM MY CURRENT EXPERIENCE:
~ Going into a directory and pressing Ctrl+A and Enter will launch the previewer in windows, displaying the first image. The user can then go back and forth in the images.
~ Once you open an image in Windows, you can go back and forth viewing images. With Feh, you can only view that one image unless you make the default command to view the entire directory, at which point it will ALWAYS start with the first image in the directory, not the one you chose.

Any chance those features will come with the next release of feh?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: