Digital cable tuner card confusion ??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Digital cable tuner card confusion ?? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a tv tuner card that can handle digital cable. I've been looking around and most of the ones that I've found say ATSC then say they are for "over-the-air" hdtv signals not digital cable. I looked at the ATSC website and from what I can tell it's a general standard not just "over the air". So, I'm wondering if these cards will work. I need some suggestions from anyone using digital cable and mythtv and recommend a good card and setup. TIA
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be a start:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_Devices
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may have found one. It will be a few weeks still before I get around to it but when I do I'll update my progress here.

http://mythic.tv/product_info.php?products_id=72

crossing fingers....

for anyone interested also check this out:http://www.linux.com/feature/61518
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep in mind:

As far as I know, there are only two cards that support CableCard, and neither have Linux drivers. I don't know where you're from, but if you're from the States, then you're going to be SOL for a while.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've been doing some more searching. I think the box in the link above would work and but I'm still confused about QAM and still waiting to hear back from my cable provider so I may just shelve this for a while and wait for everything to become more standardized.
Phantom1000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your profile doesn't show where you're from, but if you're in the US the cable companies are legally required to carry the over-the-air networks in unencrypted QAM. In addition to those channels they may or may not provide other channels.

I have an HD Homerun unit hooked up to my myth system and for the most part it works like a champ. I get all the network channels and TNT-HD over it straight off the coax cable.
piewie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak German: http://vdr-portal.de/board/index.php

I can compare Nexus CA/TT-2300C to Cinergy 1200. The Cinergy has no mpeg decoder chip for recordings. The tuner on the Cinergy is better than the tuner of the TT-2300C. This results in a better Quality and less errors. QAM 256 on Cinregy is fine. With TT-2300C there occur much more errors with QAM 256. Some persons in the vdr forum reported to be not capable of receiving QAM 256 with TT-2300C.
The driver of the the TT-2300C seems to become worse in the last kernel versions. When I was testing the cards there occur more errors. So if you don't have a good signal quality, you could get into trouble with the TT-2300C.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link but sorry I can't read german :? I'm in US. Let me clarify a bit here. My cable into the house is Digital, however only a few channels are actually HD. What I need to know is, are the normal channels (presume analog) able to be read by an analog card or do they need a digital card since the line itself is digital? I can't seem to find any info on the encoding of the normal channels on a digital line. Hope that clarifies a bit.
piewie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

analog channels can be viewed with an analog tuner and the digital channels can be viewed with a digital tuner. TT-2300CA can read analog and digital. But you have to reload the modules before switching from analog to digital.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the encoding was different since the line itself was digital.
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could've sworn that he would need something cablecard compliant in order to view digital cable channels. We couldn't access our digital channels on our TiVO Series 3 without a cablecard plugged in. Maybe it's just Comcast, who knows.
piewie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you need a DVB-C card for testing the digital channels. But for testing analog chnannels you can use the well known analog tuner cards. The tuner is deciding, which channels can be viewed - not the cable itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: