View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Ok so I seem to make many small mistakes Reply with quote

Everytime I try to install Gentoo I make small mistakes.

Well anyways I dled and burned the Gentoo live DVD and the first time I booted from it everything went perfect.
So I tried the installer and it started to go fine and I got to the last step and then I realized I forgot something so I exited out and it ended up not responding and had to shut down. Now when I load the DVD it has problems and my network wont work anymore =/

Any suggestions?

Also when I try the installer without a network it seems to hang up at unpacking stage tarbell.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with an installation causing my NIC to not work. What I would recommend is getting a copy of the PCLinuxOS LiveCD and booting it (no need to install it). It will reconfigure your NIC, and everything should be fine after that. On another note, I would skip the Live Installer for Gentoo. Instead, please just post any questions, comments, or concerns you may encounter during the minimal installation. Everyone here would be more than happy to help you out with it. :)
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try that. Would any other live Linux CD work or do you recomend just that one?
Also I am kinda new to linux, tried installing gentoo about 2ish years ago and failed and havn't attempted since. My plan was kinda to get it installed and learn from there within a working environment since gentoo is pretty customizable.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other LiveCDs will probably work as well, but PCLinuxOS is very fast to boot, and easy to use. Gentoo is the best way to learn about Linux because it doesn't do much for you. If you're really new to Linux in general, this is a set of good starter tutorials, and in the true spirit of Linux, they are free :):

http://www.linux.org/lessons/

If there's anything with which I can help you, please don't hesitate to ask.
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the guides and the help! I am currently in the process of trying to fix the NIC. I have a question should the live cds usually take a while to mount the media or detect the cd in the "dev/hdc"? or did I screw something up lol
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of time it takes to mount the media depends on a HUGE amount of variables. Generally, it shouldn't take more than 5-10 seconds though to mount the actual LiveCD itself. You might be having some other problems if it does take that long. Which LiveCD are you trying to use?
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both DVD's that I have tried are full, could size be an issue?

I bought a book on linux, also has some CDS and stuff (I like to have it physically) and the Gentoo DVD Live

They both take a while and maybe a minute? or two.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly doubt that the size would be an issue. Basically, when you insert a LiveCD and restart the computer, it should only take a few seconds to start spinning up the disc, provided that your boot order is set to check the CD-ROM firstly before anything else. After it starts booting the LiveCD, though, it can take a little bit of time to actual get you into the LiveLinux environment.
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I think we are talking about different parts. When the Linux live CD is actually started it goes through processes then says in Gentoo

Code:
Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hda
Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hda1
Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hdc (this one takes a while)

Also new issue, after the LIVE cd finished and started to open the gui this happened

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8780/1227070110vw7.jpg

I am not sure if this means anything but when it detects my sound card all the text seems like it detects it but then it shows it in yellow.

I am currently attempting to reboot it.

Last edited by freestylelaws on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, well that is a completely different story. We'd have to get inside that environment and figure out what /dev/hdc actually is. I had a problem one time with Gentoo hanging on my /dev/hdb, and that was because the kernel didn't support that particular piece of hardware. However, when I booted with a LiveCD that used a newer kernel, it had no problem. For that reason, I would actually recommend getting any of the *buntu flavours' LiveCD and trying that (to fix the original issue of your broken NIC). As a user of KDE, I would recommend going to http://kubuntu.com/download.php#latest and getting the appropriate copy of Kubuntu 7.10 Desktop CD, and booting it. I highly doubt you will experience that /dev/hdc hang using the 7.10 disc. :)
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/hdc is what I believe to be my DVD drive.

I am dling PClinux and kubuntu
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestylelaws wrote:

Also new issue, after the LIVE cd finished and started to open the gui this happened

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8780/1227070110vw7.jpg

I am not sure if this means anything but when it detects my sound card all the text seems like it detects it but then it shows it in yellow.

I am currently attempting to reboot it.

The part about the sound card being in yellow is completely normal. The monitor being out of range is odd. Maybe your LiveCD of Gentoo is old, or maybe you need to pass kernel options pertaining to the vga. Either way, post back with your results from PCLinuxOS and Kubuntu 7.10. I have to get to work, but I will try to check back later on. ;)
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

I am going to download and burn a new copy of the Gentoo LIVE CD instead of DVD aswell as kunbuntu and PXLINUXOS

I will post with progress ^^
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I will post updates as they come

I ran a LIVE CD of Gentoo version 2006.1
- Internet worked fine

New Gentoo 2007.0 LIVE CD
- Is being lame and wants to hang up at the switching to openGL interface =/

kubuntu LIVE CD
- Runs fine... but ewwwwww the interface haha.
I like GNOME better I guess, especially if you can customize it to be smoother.

Anyways if I decide to try a minimum install again what are some recomended USE settings cause I (even as a pretty computer smart person) don't even know what all of them actually do.
Ehnvis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestylelaws wrote:
Anyways if I decide to try a minimum install again what are some recomended USE settings cause I (even as a pretty computer smart person) don't even know what all of them actually do.

Use the 2007.0/desktop profile, it will setup a basic USE flag setup which should be enough for you in the beginning. That way you dont have to care about useflags til you really have to.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by Ehnvis, the Desktop profile is a pretty good start. On this page of the guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=6

Where it says "Choosing the Right Profile," you will run the following command to switch to the Desktop profile (and at this time during the installation):

Code:

ln -snf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop /etc/make.profile

Then, you can check to see the USE flags that are already set in that profile. If there are ones in there that you don't want, you can take them out in your /etc/make.conf. You can also add new ones to that file. Here's a list of the USE flags and their purposes:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the help guys but before I go back to installing Gentoo I have run across a problem. My hard drive seems to have failed and I need help determining if it is the actual problem. The computer has windows installed currently. When it goes to load after the BIOS it goes straight to a blank screen not completely dark but a somewhat very little difference of a shade of gray.

I tried returning the BIOS to factory settings through the menu and taking out the battery

Is there anything else I should check before I buy a new hard drive to make sure it is not something else.

Also I was able to load a live version of KBUNTU.

What kind fo tests can I run. I only have a cd drive no floppy

In KUBUNTU it shows the drive "79gig" in media but it wont display anythign within it.

=/
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are plenty of programs that will test your HDD. That error doesn't sound like a problem with your HDD though. You might want to download the Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ) and run the appropriate HDD diagnostic tool. Also, if you're not worried about the data on that drive, you could always DBAN it (destroys all the data). That, in and of itself, will test the HDD; if it runs into any errors, there is probably something wrong with the drive.
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does DBAN work?

Is it part of that boot cd?

Also what tools would you suggest?

Last edited by freestylelaws on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBAN is short for Darik's Boot and Nuke, and it is the best method of destroying all data on your HDD. It gives you a completely clean medium for installing a new OS. Version 1.0.7 is included on the Ultimate Boot CD, but for more information (and the latest beta version), check out the website at:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

If you are using a computer with an Intel Core 2 or newer processor, you will definitely want to download the latest beta version.
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pentium 4.

What do you suggest for the diagnostic tools? There are a bunch.

If as a last resort I will probably try dban.
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap another issue =/

When the Ultimate Boot CD (also kubuntu) reaches the "graphical" interface where you can react using the keyboard the keyboard no longer functions =(
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also another update when I try to runt he windows install disk it does the same thing (boot from cd) but when I disable the hard drive it loads the cd.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now when you load any disc (including the Windows installation disc), your keyboard doesn't respond?
freestylelaws
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late respond but I had to go. No it works for the widnows cd when I do get it to work

Ok also since the boot cd the ultimate one did not work I nuked the hard drive and it seems to have worked. Thanks!

Now when I get brave again haha I am going to try gentoo.

I guess I have another questin for when I have a go. What else should I emerge at the end to have a working basic desktop GUI using GNOME or does that profile take care of it all?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: