Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing gentoo over isdn??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Installing gentoo over isdn?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine told me about gentoo, and I was mighty impressed. I really want to try this system, but I only have an isdn connection to the internet. So, would you guys recomend installing over isdn? My CPU is AMD Athlon 1000MHz and I have 512MB RAM.

Thank you.

-Carbonize-
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends -- if you have a stable, reliable ISDN connection and don't mind waiting for source packages to download, sure -- why not? It will take a while, but it should still work. (you might try getting started with the stage 3 boot disk, just to save yourself some time initially)

Note: when I say "a while", I'm talking hours -- not minutes. Kernel source was well over 100MB last I checked.

--kurt
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: size Reply with quote

once you get setup with a base install, to save time when connected you can do emerge *packages* --fetchonly and it will just download all the things needed, and then you can emerge *packages* and you won't need to be connected.
The kernel source is only about 27megs compressed, and since emerge downloads all compressed files and then uncompresses them, it won't be all that big of a download. KDE or Gnome on the other hand may take a while, and xfree and all it's dependencies aren't that small, but maybe setup to --fetchonly and then go run some errands, and just because you have --fetchonly'ed the packages, you don't have to install them.

Also, if you pay per meg with your isdn, I would advise against doing a stage 1 install, get someone to burn you the 100meg stage 3 install and go from there, I am pretty sure there is just about every thing you need to get started on the stage 3, I used the stage 1 cause I have a 10Mbit connection to the world into my dorm room, so it isn't a big deal for me.

You also may be able to get someone to burn you a cd of lots of packages that you want and then change the download mirror to get emerge to use the cd rather than ibiblio or something else. But don't quote me on that.

-Andrew
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: perhaps this is an option? Reply with quote

If you know someone that can download all the sources for you perhaps this might be an option: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=90

greetz,
deech
terryclough
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Installing gentoo over isdn?? Reply with quote

I have been fighting with my copy of Mandrake 8.1 for a couple of months now, never really happy with how much "stuff" gets installed with the even the most minimal installs. Recently I read of Gentoo and wanted to give it a try, except my connection is ISDN also. My main system is an A7A266 Athlon 1.333G. I decided to turn my old laptop Compaq 1244 into a Masquerade server. It took a few days of trying, finally getting it to work I was able to get our WinXP partion on the main PC to request web and ftp over the LAN thru the laptop. I am currently holding at the Gentoo install at Section 16, with some question/concerns. Those however are for a later post. Just wanted other ISDN users know of a solution. Be warned though, with a max of 7.38KB download it took over 6 hours to finish emerge'n.

terry
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: