View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erehwon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Issues during xorg-x11 install Reply with quote

I'm having a little issue install xorg-x11 on my fresh install. It was giving me an error about not being unable to install media-libs/freetype package. One thing that I tried was adding the X and truetype USE variables to make.conf. Unfortunately, I'm now getting an error during emerge --update --deep --newuse world. Sys-apps/groff-1.19.2-r1 is giving me a problem as well. I'm thinking I need to resolve this issue before I go on with fixing my x11 error.

I did look in the build.log for the groff package. I noticed that it was reporting that the programs pnmcut, pnmcrop, pnmtopng, psselect, pnmtops, and gs couldn't be found in PATH. That's main thing I notice from that log. I would post the logs, but I'm typing from my laptop. I'm hoping someone can help me with this USE thing that I did (and might not have been the best thing to try?). Once that is cleared up, I'm hoping someone could assist with the xorg-x11 problem. I hate it when I cause more problems for myself when trying to fix something.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you firstly try to do an emerge --sync before you started updating?
erehwon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
Did you firstly try to do an emerge --sync before you started updating?

Yes. I think I did.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the output of emerge --info and the exact error message you receive (if you can). These two things may help us narrow down the problem. :)
erehwon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll type these up the best that I can since I'm writing these up from my laptop as I look at the computer with gentoo on it.

For emerge --info, I'm not sure if I can see the entire thing. The screen has PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp" on down. This is all that I can see of it. i typed it up as best as I could.

USE="X acl amd64 berkdb bitmap-fonts cdr cli cracklib crypt cups dri dvd fortra gdbm gnome gpm gtk iconv ipv6 isdnlog kde midi mmx mudflap ncurses nls nptl np lonly openmp pan pcre perl pppd python qt3 qt4 readline reflection sessin spl se sse2 ssl tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode xorg zlib"

ALSA_CASD="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 en1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel itel8x0 intel8x0m
maestro3 trident us-audi via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci"

ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dsha e dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter jula multi null plug rate route share shm softvol"

APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias ath_basis authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner auth_user autoindex cacheda dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filte headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation re rrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias"

ELIBC="glbc"

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"

KERNEL="linux"

LCD_DEVICES=" bayrad cfontz cf ntz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses test"

USERLAND="GNU"

VIDEO_CARD="fglrx"

Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMEGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDF, AGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RYSNC, EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

For the error I get duing emerge --update --deep --newuse world:

ERROR: sys-apps/groff-1.19.2-r1 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
groff-1.19.2-r1.ebuild, line 64: Called econf '--with-appresdir=/etc/X1/apps-defaults' '--with-x' --disable-japanese'
ebuild.sh, line 638: Called die

The specific snippet of code:
die "econf failed"
The die message:
econf failed
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the emerge --info, you can pipe that to less so you can see all of it:

Code:

emerge --info | less

Regarding the error message, it would helpful to have a few lines above the ERROR: portion.
erehwon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more searching through the log and this problem with the libsandbox. I found another post in the forum about this. I uninstalled it and reinstalled. That helped one of the problems. I was still having a problem with xorg-x11 install. I found another post that helped. I did a emerge --depclean and a emerge xorg-x11. It is running fine right now.

Sorry about not posting the whole error message, but it is hard to type the entire message from my laptop as I look at the computer with my gentoo install. By the way, is it possible to copy an error message while in a cli environment and then post it to the forums through that links browser? That could be useful next time I run into a big problem.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off topic "Error reporting.".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: