Trouble with splashutils & /dev/fb*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomprogers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Trouble with splashutils & /dev/fb* Reply with quote

I'm trying to install a new splash screen and whatnot (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Natural+Gentoo?content=49074), and the theme comes with instructions for setting it up. This is the first splash stuff I've dealt with, so some of the capabilities weren't part of my kernel yet, notably any framebuffer support.

First, and most troubling, is the fact that both the instructions I found and the HOWTO on the wiki show kernel configuration choices that I do not see in my menu. I'm running an nVidia card, and the HOWTO tells me I'll have to make a choice between vesafb & vesafb-tng. I'm not given this option. Here is what I see:
Code:
Device Drivers --->
  Graphics support --->
    <*> Support for frame buffer devices
      [*] VESA VGA graphics support  <- this item does not expand, contrary to all examples I've seen online, so there is no option to select vesafb-tng
      <*> nVidia Framebuffer Support <- this seems to make sense, and nothing else in the entire section is selected, so I enable this instead of the non-existent vesafb-tng

At this point I run make && make modules_install && make install
The new bzImage is copied over to boot, and my symlinks are updated. I check the times and targets on the symlinks and they all point to my freshly-created files.

Next, I create the init ramdisk.
Code:
splash_geninitramfs natural_gentoo -r 1024x768 -g /boot/gentoo-1024x768 -v
No errors, a little informative output.

This is where things break down.
Code:
# splash_manager --theme=natural_gentoo --cmd=set --tty=1
Can't open /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb/0
Error: Theme 'natural_gentoo' doesn't seem to provide a config file for the current resolution ().
I do an ls and there are no framebuffer devices. I figure this is because I'm not currently booted into a kernel with support for framebuffers (duh!), so I reboot into the new kernel. While the machine starts up just fine, the same command fails with the same error. I haven't been able to find any documentation related to setting up a splash screen that shows me accurate pictures of what's in my menuconfig. I'm also confused about the second error - no config file for current resolution - but I'm hopeful that will go away once I fix the first problem.

If there is something I'm overlooking, I'd love to know it. I'm pretty clueless as far as configuring kernels - so many of the choices seem identical. I have Googled this error message, but I only find two hits (and both in a foreign language). I have gentoo-sources v 2.6.23-r3 installed. Any help would be appreciated.
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kernel version are you running, and are you using "nv," "nvidia," or "nouveau?"
tomprogers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. I have an nVidia card. I thought I mentioned that in my post. Sorry.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using fbcondecor and framebuffers with the same kernel as you and with nVidia graphics. Simply select VESA VGA Graphics Support. You don't want vesafb-tng (but I don't remember why). DON'T select nVidia Framebuffer support. The problem is that it will conflict with using the nVidia X11 drivers.

Also, I suggest you try getting the framebuffers and fbcondecor working first before working on the start up splash screen. You can use the /etc/init.d/fbcondecor service to put background images on your virtual consoles after you've booted. Once you've got background images in the virtual consoles, then push ahead and work on the start up splash screen.
tomprogers
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I will give that a shot and post back if I hit any more walls. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: