changing kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: changing kernel? Reply with quote

Just a quick question. If I want to use a different kernel, I can just emerge the one I want, change /usr/src/linux to point to the correct kernel, make menuconfig, make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install, and then copy bzImage to the correct place, right? I'm fairly sure this is all I have to do; did I miss anything? This is one place I don't want to make a mistake. :roll:
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fine, but it's always a good idea to keep a kernel that you know works, instead of overwriting your old one, so that if something doesn't work you can just use the old kernel to fix it. If you change the filename so it doesn't get copied over the previous bzImage, then you just have to create a new entry in your bootloaders menu for the new kernel. So do something like "cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImageNEW" so it doesn't overwrite the old bzImage, and make sure you get the filename right in the bootloader menu file :)
smite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, now it's time for me to get to work! *sigh*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: