CFLAG questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: CFLAG questions Reply with quote

Are these CFLAGS safe?

gcc-min-expand

gcc-min-heapsize
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CFLAG questions Reply with quote

SLBMEH wrote:
Are these CFLAGS safe?

gcc-min-expand

gcc-min-heapsize
Depends what you mean by 'safe'. Those flags are not approved by gentoo, and if you run into problems using them, you will be told to edit them to the default cflags and retry, but they may work for you perfectly. I have personally never used either of those flags, but in the past I experimented with various other flags, and never had any problems.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean by safe is, will they break my install if I use them system-wide? I think they are fairly safe. They do not affect compilation to my knowledge. I believe they only adjust the memory allocation that gcc uses during compiles.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLBMEH wrote:
What I mean by safe is, will they break my install if I use them system-wide? I think they are fairly safe. They do not affect compilation to my knowledge. I believe they only adjust the memory allocation that gcc uses during compiles.
I doubt any cflag choice will completely break your installation. I think the worse case scenario will be that a package or two will act a bit weird, and you can fix this by editing the flags back to default. One of the best parts of gentoo is the ability to experiment with things like this... so I'd say go ahead.

I would say to read the gcc man pages to understand fully what those particular optimizations are doing prior to implementing them system wide.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked them up. It basically said that memory allocation is optimized for amounts of ram under 1GB. It said that setting those flags will prevent the garbage collector from initializing as much and will give you a speed increase if you have the resources for it. It also says that it does not do anything to the code size.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: