Cannot emerge world.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Cannot emerge world. Reply with quote

Whenever i run the command

Code:
emerge world

I receive these errors... I'm new to Gentoo and don't quite understand why this is happening or how I can fix it to install updates. Is there anyone who can help me out with this? I have been unable to turn up anything useful on google.

Quote:

[blocks B ] <sys-fs/udev-115-r1 (is blocking sys-fs/device-mapper-1.02.22-r5)
[blocks B ] <sys-fs/device-mapper-1.02.19-r1 (is blocking sys-fs/udev-118)
[blocks B ] media-libs/libdts (is blocking media-libs/libdca-0.0.5)
[blocks B ] dev-util/portatosourceview (is blocking app-portage/portato-0.8.6.2)
[blocks B ] sys-apps/setarch (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r3)
[blocks B ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)
[blocks B ] sys-process/schedutils (is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.13-r3)
[blocks B ] app-crypt/libgssapi (is blocking net-libs/libgssglue-0.1)
[blocks B ] <=x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.4.0-r2 (is blocking app-admin/eselect-wxwidgets-0.7-r1)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have packages installed which cannot be present on a system which also has packages that would be installed by emerge world. Please read A Portage Introduction in the Gentoo Handbook for an explanation of blockers. If you are still unsure how to proceed, post back and we can provide more detailed help.
Urban Cowboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't that command install everything?

What are you trying to do with "emerge world"?
champ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequalit,

To clarify somewhat:

1. You really should not run just emerge world as the world keyword is designed for specifically for updating, instead run
Code:
emerge -uaDv world

2. Blocks occur when one package conflicts with a package you are updating. Usually you need to remove the offending package with
Code:
emerge -aCv <package-name>
and then rerun emerge

some additional information is available from
Code:
man emerge

Cheers

blog: johnsearth.blogspot.com
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question, wouldn't uninstalling a package such as device-mapper break my system?

I am using raid 0 with LVM2, and I was under the impression that device-mapper was necessary for it to work correctly.

Also, some packages i have on my system, the updates are masked, therefore emerge is not continuing with the rest of the update process and updating the programs that actually need it.

Is there any way to tell emerge to just ignore all blocked/masked things and to update what it can?
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just tried to unmerge the conflicting packages now im getting this

which tells me that this is a problem that cant be fixed? and im just left with a system that can't be securly updated?

thats what i get going with Sabayon instead of a straight gentoo ;p

Code:

Calculating world dependencies |
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "~x11-libs/compiz-bcop-9999".
(dependency required by "x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-threed-9999" [installed])

wolfden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want Sabayon support - you should be posting on their forum. Also knowing the package manager and using portage properly would be a huge benefit.
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Champ for the helpful information...

This is a question about Portage, not Sabayon... thats why I'm posting here... Oh a portage forum... where I can get help about portage to teach me more..... lol elitists make me laugh every time.

Ever since my first post I have been googling my ass off to try and figure out how to make portage just ignore the blocked packages and update what it can, and then ill figure out how to update the blocked packages later... but I havn't found anything useful.

So if anyone would like to help me, I would appreciate it! but if your going to be a condescending ass, please don't hit the submit button.
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequalit wrote:
Ty Champ for the helpful information...
Ever since my first post I have been googling my ass off to try and figure out how to make portage just ignore the blocked packages and update what it can, and then ill figure out how to update the blocked packages later... but I havn't found anything useful.

So if anyone would like to help me, I would appreciate it! but if your going to be a condescending ass, please don't hit the submit button.

If you want to ignore certain packages, add them to /etc/portage/package.mask.

Code:
echo "=x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-threed-9999" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

Paste the entire output of the "emerge -uDNtp" command. It will provide a better picture of what is going on at your attempt to update your system.
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

sudo emerge -uDNtp world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies |
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "~x11-libs/compiz-bcop-9999".
(dependency required by "x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-threed-9999" [installed])

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-threed
!!! Depgraph creation failed.

aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the 'gentoolkit' package installed? Try running 'equery d x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-threed" to see what is pulling that package in and why its dependencies aren't available.

It looks like you have a live ebuild of Compiz Fusion installed. You can try removing it with 'emerge -C compiz-fusion' and removing its dependencies with 'emerge --depclean -a'. Be sure to look carefully at what packages it wants to remove as anything that is not a dependency of another package can get removed. I'm not familiar with Sabayon and the intricacies of its overlay.
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aronparsons!, that got me around that, i just uninstalled compiz, did some research and learned that I don't even use it, I'm using KWin.

but there seems to be more blocked package problems with my system, about 20 of them HAHA...

I was able to get most of them situated out, all except this one

Code:
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)

i added makedev to the package.mask file but it still wants to install it...

when i try to unmerge baselayout it says its part of my profile and might break my system.

could i unmerge baselayout and reinstall the other version?

its saying version 2 is blocking makedev, but the only version im able to find in portage is an earlier version of baselayout?

/ramble
Yeah i would have much rather gone the route of pure Gentoo, but ran into waaaaay to many problems with wireless and video drivers, i could not get gentoo to display correctly and gave up! sabayon just worked out of the box, and ive had no problems until now hah
/rambleoff
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequalit wrote:

I was able to get most of them situated out, all except this one

Code:
[blocks B     ] <sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0_rc (is blocking sys-apps/makedev-3.23.1)

i added makedev to the package.mask file but it still wants to install it...

when i try to unmerge baselayout it says its part of my profile and might break my system.

/ramble
Yeah i would have much rather gone the route of pure Gentoo, but ran into waaaaay to many problems with wireless and video drivers, i could not get gentoo to display correctly and gave up! sabayon just worked out of the box, and ive had no problems until now hah
/rambleoff

You'll probably need to go to the Sabayon forums about the baselayout problem. The baselayout package provides important things like the init scripts; Gentoo still uses baselayout-1.x.

What have you changed system-wise since you first installed? Are you running stable (x86/amd64) or unstable (~x86/amd64) packages? Blockages like you're experiencing suggest you might have tweaked a setting in /etc/make.conf that you might not have fully understood (it happens!). Depending on how far along you are with your install/configuration, maybe try starting over with some of your new knowledge. The Gentoo wiki has most topics covered in depth and should be the first place you look for answers (even before the forums!).

As for why you went the Sabayon route versus vanilla Gentoo, I understand you wanting stuff to just work. If you want to give vanilla Gentoo another go, take a look at some of the custom kernels (see the Unsupported Software forum). You might just need a more recent kernel with support for you wireless chipset. As for video card issues, they should be able to be solved easily. Depending on your video card (which is?), it shouldn't be a huge headache to get it to work (especially if it's an Nvidia card).
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sabayon just worked out of the box, and ive had no problems until now hah

Moved from Portage & Programming to Unsupported Software.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got past the baselayout problem, but seem to be running into problem after problem..

Thank you for your help aronparsons! I will pursue this a bit longer and see what comes up...

as far as i know, stable amd64.

bah, i have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200... old pci card w00t, and none of the drivers from emerge worked, i couldnt even get the linux drivers from nvidia to cooperate, they kept having running into errors during install...
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequalit wrote:
well I got past the baselayout problem, but seem to be running into problem after problem..

Thank you for your help aronparsons! I will pursue this a bit longer and see what comes up...

as far as i know, stable amd64.

bah, i have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200... old pci card w00t, and none of the drivers from emerge worked, i couldnt even get the linux drivers from nvidia to cooperate, they kept having running into errors during install...

The current NVIDIA driver (100.14.19 in Portage, 169.07 from NVIDIA) should support your card. Are you saying the driver won't even compile or you're having problems starting X? With a clean xorg.conf, running 'nvidia-xconfig' should get you to a workable state in X. There isn't much need to fiddle with xorg.conf manually these days. Once you're in X, running 'nvidia-settings' should help you configure your resolution and any OpenGL settings. In any case, keep going and try to provide as much information as possible when asking for help. For Gentoo, that includes "emerge --info" and any relevant error logs. Not providing enough information will likely have people passing over your topic.
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing. Take a look at some of the Portage documentation starting with http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1 . Once you understand how it all works, problems like you just experienced will make a lot more sense and you should be able to work through them on your own.
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read that page 5 times over :)

It would help if it actually had the application of the techniques they tell you to do..

Its like telling a pre-teenager how to drive but not showing them how to use the breaks :)

The driver wouldn't ever compile, yes i had 64bit drivers... but its a mute point until i try to vanilla gentoo again :)

I give up on emerge world... With Sabayon's way of overlaying software that isn't ment to be installed together is making me sick...

I solve one dependency issue to be faced with another one, I think ive been through 10 different issues now hah...

I'll just either stick with a system emerge which works... would that give needed security updates?
aronparsons
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want is security-related updates, check out 'glsa-check' from the gentoolkit package.

You should figure out what is causing the problems with running 'emerge -uDN world'. What you're experiencing is not normal and will cause many more problems in the future (that is, unless the Sabayon overlay is in a temporary screwed-up state which you can't control).
sequalit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive read about Sabayon, its overlays are like that, they suck, you kinda have to wait for them to release another version and install from scratch again... no bueno lol...

thank you for all of your help aronparsons! im out for the night getting late!
wolfden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not true, install, world update, never reinstall again
gerardo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to unmerge packages first to be able to emerge the newer versions:
eg:
Code:
emerge --unmerge sys-fs/udev
emerge --unmerge sys-fs/device-mapper
emerge -av sys-fs/udev sys-fs/device-mapper

This will emerge the newer versions for both packages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: