Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should the Gentoo trustees accept Daniel Robbins offer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Gentoo trustees accept Daniel Robbins offer?
yes
91%
 91%  [ 638 ]
no
8%
 8%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 696

Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion has reached mainstream media. The German IT news site Heise.de reports, complete with link to this poll:
http://www.heise.de/open/news/meldung/101696
Expect a bunch of other news stories to follow.
Nerdanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current leadership has had nothing but opportunities for the past several years. For whatever reason they were not up to the task. They could have turned Gentoo around but instead they let it drift a slow course towards ruin and decay. Would they really have better ideas now than last month (and the ability to decide upon one and implement it)?
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
So you're saying that just because drobbins is the only person to provide a possible solution so far, we should immediately go for it instead of considering other possible solutions? I think that's the dumbest argument I've heard so far!

No, there is time until the 18th. But whoever says "No" then should better have a good answer to the question "Then? What else?". Otherwise he is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Its not like the problems suddenly appeared last week.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
bmichaelsen wrote:
I guess its not that easy. Daniel made an offer you cannot refuse. Well, actually you can, but not without providing an alternative solution. Even if you write "your proposal is problematic", it is still the best proposal presented so far. Just saying "there has got to be a better way" leads directly to the situation you describe in your post (council and better options).

So you're saying that just because drobbins is the only person to provide a possible solution so far, we should immediately go for it instead of considering other possible solutions? I think that's the dumbest argument I've heard so far!

maybe not, the details of it are unknown outside those that "need to know"
HOWEVER he is at least someone (with enough vocal influence) who has stated that something needs to be done
brot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Robbins more or less took gentoo where it is now. The potential gentoo has is incredible, imo.
(the worst thing is the website. There were great drafts for a new homepage, but somehow the redesign got hosed)
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of the others that a pure democracy just doesn't work and progress becomes stalled. It also brings more conflict with it. So I am all for some kindof head man/woman, be it Daniel or someone else. But face it, the trustee's didn't do their job and progress became stalled, so Daniel can take over if he wants anyway. Maybe the fact that he hasn't just done that should count for something among the people that think he wants to be a dictator. Especially when you have part timers as Dev's, trustees, councils,.... it can take forever to get decisions made. Most of these people have regular jobs, college,... and only do this part time. I am curious what Daniel means by:
Quote:
I have received permission from my employer to return and serve as President of the Gentoo Foundation,...<snip>

I am assuming that he is still planning on keeping his job with them so would only be a part-timer himself. So unless he can do something the other Dev's,... can't do, then he can still only focus on certain aspects and not take over everything as some pose he will.

Let's say he does just take over and lot of Dev's leave. Are these the same people that are running Gentoo trusteeship,.... right now? If so I don't see that distro surviving or at least having the same problems Gentoo seems to have now. Even if some Dev's leave, some of the ones that left already because of serious infighting and politics might come back.

I could go on and on, but this forum thread isn't really going to solve anything or help the trustee's come to any conclusion. Just wanted to add my two cents worth.

Bring Daniel back.

– Steven Wright
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

bmichaelsen wrote:
AllenJB wrote:

No, there is time until the 18th. But whoever says "No" then should better have a good answer to the question "Then? What else?". Otherwise he is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Its not like the problems suddenly appeared last week.

Why exactly should we have to keep to the timetable that the future dictator wants to impose? This is not a decision to be rushed or taken lightly.

----
Naib wrote:
AllenJB wrote:
bmichaelsen wrote:
I guess its not that easy. Daniel made an offer you cannot refuse. Well, actually you can, but not without providing an alternative solution. Even if you write "your proposal is problematic", it is still the best proposal presented so far. Just saying "there has got to be a better way" leads directly to the situation you describe in your post (council and better options).

HOWEVER he is at least someone (with enough vocal influence) who has stated that something needs to be done

So have most of the people in this thread. That doesn't make them suitable to run Gentoo as it is now.

Last edited by AllenJB on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
speeddemon wrote:
MoonWalker wrote:
speeddemon wrote:
The devs don't like drobbins and don't want him back.

I think the truth is that some, several among the most dominant devs, don't want him back. The others don't speak up in favour, out of various reasons, but I am sure a "closed vote" would turn out in favor. Well that's just my instinct, I could be wrong, but I sense fear hidden behind pride and other things here.

Not surprising.

I definately have gotten the sense over the years that some devs seem to think of gentoo as their distro (they should make all decisions), and that average user's opinions and ideas don't matter at all. Thats what seems to be going on here, they think because they are the devs they should get a much louder voice over the fate of gentoo rather than the user base. The devs aren't the distro, the community is. Devs are a small part of the community.

And why shouldn't they? They're the ones who volunteer their time to work on Gentoo. It's their right to choose what gets done first. I don't think anyone should have any illusions - most open source developers in any project will do what's interesting to them first. Devs are really a rather large part of the community - without them there would be no community.

I am a user in this community, a dev in another, but it doesn't matter which side you are on, as a member of a community you must find a personal balance that benefits both your own and the community needs. If you cannot do that I think you should cancel you volunteership and go do your own ego thing to find personal satisfaction. Something that is quite unique with Gentoo I think is that many users actually are developers as well in some context or quite technically oriented, which can be a reason to the upcoming user/dev clashes. As far as I understand the complains are not so much about what they do but rather what they don't do - except for bad social behavior in some cases.

However, this is not about devs really, but leadership of this project, or lack of as many seem to see it. When you volunteer you also volunteer to the responsability, not only the fun, that comes with it.

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
rowdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One fact this issue makes crystal clear is that trustees need to be fired.

http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/ clearly states that the first task of the Foundation is to protect the Gentoo intellectual property. They have obviously failed at their first task since they've put the Gentoo IP in danger by failing to do the minimum required. I would also point out that it takes 3 of 5 votes for the Foundation to pass anything. So, there IS NO FOUNDATION AT THIS TIME, legally, or practically, since they can't meet the required quorum.

This situation needs to be resolved ASAP. As far as I can see, we have two choices: we can accept the offer or we can drag our feet and debate the specifics while Gentoo fades away.

One legal question I have is, since the foundation has ceased to exist, can anyone *other* than drobbins even bring it back to life? He has trademarks and such in his name and he was the last President of record but I would imagine that the "two people formerly known as The Foundation" has some signed documents and such.

Disclaimer: I'm one of those programmers who decided against becoming a dev because of the politics of Gentoo.
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I am in favor of DR taking over the reins of Gentoo again. My support is more emotional than rational.

I do not know if the trustees and DR are talking to each other. But, if the trustees are unwilling to say YES, maybe they can reach a common ground with DR. IMHO, it would be better if DR is on-board with the other trustees and they try to work together. Or, maybe its just a wishful thinking on my part.

I am still optimistic.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer trustees were entrusted with too much. Ownership of the assets, trademarks, etc, should not be in the hands of an individual, but an individual IS needed for leadership. Expecting a council to provide vision is folly. We need a CEO. Is drobbins, for all his contributions, the right person? Who knows, but until we make a new structure for this person to inhabit, it's all wind. I don't think this ultimatum is productive, though it has spurred a debate that needed spurring.

Jon.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkyrite wrote:
Well,

I am in favor of DR taking over the reins of Gentoo again. My support is more emotional than rational.

I do not know if the trustees and DR are talking to each other. But, if the trustees are unwilling to say YES, maybe they can reach a common ground with DR. IMHO, it would be better if DR is on-board with the other trustees and they try to work together. Or, maybe its just a wishful thinking on my part.

I am still optimistic.

Won't happen. drobbins wants all or nothing, as far as I can see. One of the reasons we should be wary of him.

I just won't trust anyone who appears at the right time with an "offer you can't refuse" type offer imposing their own stupidly short deadline.
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
bmichaelsen wrote:

----
rockhoppa wrote:
I think the poll is correctly worded. Only those who are unhappy to see the overwhelming support for and trust in Robbins are interested in obscuring the results with additional options. We will never know enough since the trustees have been so reclusive. I vote for open discussion and turning the reins over to Robbins.

Err, did you maybe stop and think for a moment that I and others don't think the current options cover all possible views? So 90% of those who voted think we should get drobbins. What if there's twice that many who think we're not currently informed enough to make a decision? Oh, I'm sorry, am I obscuring the result your desired with a more truthful view of the community's opinion???

Off what I have seen the offer stands until next friday, so I guess there still is time for any party to step forwards to present information and to make up your view if having doubts at this point. Just because there is a yes/no poll going on doesn't mean you have to cast your vote right away. I agree the poll is correctly worded, a 3rd option would only delude things. That was exactly what happened in the Swedish referendum regarding nuclear power some 20 years ago. It resulted in the problem was pushed forward to be solved 2010 and not much has really changed since.

every year.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

MoonWalker wrote:
Off what I have seen the offer stands until next friday, so I guess there still is time for any party to step forwards to present information and to make up your view if having doubts at this point. Just because there is a yes/no poll going on doesn't mean you have to cast your vote right away. I agree the poll is correctly worded, a 3rd option would only delude things. That was exactly what happened in the Swedish referendum regarding nuclear power some 20 years ago. It resulted in the problem was pushed forward to be solved 2010 and not much has really changed since.

BAND WAGON!!!

Err, this isn't a referendum. This is a poll created by a user for users. This poll will not, I firmly believe, influence the outcome of this situation. And something will happen. From what I gather of Gentoo's legal status it has to. This issue was already pushed back - there's no where further to push it to.

Last edited by AllenJB on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
StifflerStealth
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
If you sum up the for and against arguments you'll see that the arguments for DR's return are more emotional and less rational then the arguments against his return:
[...snip...]
Very nice list. Kudos to you for taking the time to write this out. :)
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to really enjoy using gentoo and I was an active forum member but it seems like it's been going down hill since about a year after Daniel resigned. I would welcome the return of his leadership. I hope the overwhelmingly positive vote in the poll will help sway the current trustees but I feel like human ego may get in the way.
moesasji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really amazes me when reading through Daniels blog is that this issue has been known for more then half a year and nothing seems to have been done. See the quote from his blog-post on the 23th of July

Quote:

Over the past few days, I discovered that the Gentoo Foundation's charter is in the process of being revoked by the state of New Mexico, apparently due to regular paperwork not being filed by the trustees. What this means is that the Gentoo Foundation is currently hanging for its life by a string, and at any day could cease to exist as an entity. That is the very bad news.

The good news is that I was able to talk to Grant Goodyear (trustee) this morning on the phone, and I have confirmed that Grant had received my email about the revocation issue that I sent 2 days ago and that he will be resolving this critical issue in the next couple of days by filing the appropriate paperwork with the state of New Mexico, and this paperwork will also remove me as President of the Foundation. I offered to serve as registered agent of the Foundation temporarily until a suitable replacement can be found. Grant said that I should give him a couple of days to get this fixed.
rlarkin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: devs and users Reply with quote

This comment was prompted by a post from Aniruddha, but isn't really a direct response.

Read through the whole thread, some interesting posts, but what really stands out is where the opinions separate. It seems devs don't want drobbins back, but users do. Why?

Someone might take the comments at face value and leave it at that, but I cannot. Ultimately this is about power and control. A lot of devs do what they want when they want, and see the return of drobbins as a threat to that autonomy. That's what I get from the "rational" reasons for not wanting to accept the offer (by the way there are a lot of rational comments pointing out the obvious - the trustees dropped the ball, end of story).

In my present occupation I have almost total autonomy. I come and go as I please, prioritize my own tasks, spend "spare" time on projects of my own choosing. If corporate called me and said "We're sending up a new manager that you'll be reporting to daily" I would fight that. I would fight it with completely rational and logical arguments and all of my arguments would be based on relevant fact, but no matter how long my list of facts, they wouldn't make me right from all perspectives.

I'm sure there are many people in this community that have their own space carved out and don't want anyone mucking with that space. But no matter how technical the arguments against the change, the prime motivator (IMNSHO) is in fact emotion.

The way I see it, there are some people with an @gentoo.org email address who don't want to be told how to spend time they volunteered. Understandable of course, but from the largest perspective possible (users>devs/trustees/forum-admins/*) maybe, possibly, those people should be told what to do. The best illustration of this is the poll results in this thread.

Most of the above is supposition since drobbins hasn't yet promised to radically overhaul what is to be a dev at gentoo. What he has promised is to fix the legal problems, and that needs to be done. I don't see anyone else stepping up to do this. I say bring him back, get the legal problems fixed, and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. One of those chips might result in the [package] dev leaving because he can't tolerate some new direction dictated by Daniel. So? As a dev you might (rightly) see your opinion as heavier than mine because of your time spent and contributions made vs me as a user. And that means gentoo doesn't always make choices I agree with. For one, I'd like to see all the time spent on split KDE ebuilds spent on something else, but from where I stand I don't have the needed perspective to know that I'm right.

But there is a greater perspective than that of the devs and that is the users as a whole. I have a question, when you decided to volunteer your time to gentoo, did you do it to scratch a personal itch, to get a bullet on your resume, or was it a selfless commitment to the community? Your answer illustrates your perspective, and your perspective qualifies your opinion on this matter more than any list of facts.
bmichaelsen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
If you sum up the for and against arguments you'll see that the arguments for DR's return are more emotional and less rational then the arguments against his return:

I find the argument "I dont want Drobbins back because we lack information what he is up to" not very rational or less emotional than a choice for Robbins. Why? Because we dont know what the trustees are up. Actually it might very well be that the trustees are not up to anything. With Daniel we at least know he has plan what he wants to do. If he wasnt, he would not have asked his boss about this stuff.

So with all the other unknowns, we know Daniel will commit himself to the tasks gentoo faces, and currently cannot be sure about that with any other option.
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
valkyrite wrote:
Well,

I am still optimistic.

Won't happen. drobbins wants all or nothing, as far as I can see. One of the reasons we should be wary of him.

I just won't trust anyone who appears at the right time with an "offer you can't refuse" type offer imposing their own stupidly short deadline.

This is just nonsense irrational fear, if Drobbing just wanted it for his own sake he's in his full legal right to just take it. As the situation is now he has to make a decision, should the foundation and Gentoo assets be brought back into the community, or should he just take what he legally can claim and dump the rest to Public Domain etc? Apparently he wants Gentoo to rise again. He didn't really need to make this offer, if he didn't wanted to. Comming here with scaring with black demons is just pure nonsense. he nows many people depends on Gentoo in different ways, I am one of these, and it has to be a stop of this lull of things. Why can other distros make it and not we?

every year.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Drobbins offer, tsunams respone and the structure of gen Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:

Naib wrote:

So have most of the people in this thread. That doesn't make them suitable to run Gentoo as it is now.

Lots have people have said lots of things about gentoo over the years BUT next to none of them have no idea of how to manage a large project, the passion to run a large project or the commitment.

I have commented a few times on how pathetic some of the rants on -dev are does that make me suitable to guide all dev's? no, I can barely manage to keep together a team of engineers on a sub-project of a larger project.

Is DRobbins a better choice then a complete stranger? yes
Is DRobbins a better choice then someone with completely no idea abt gentoo? yes

I think all agree that some form of restructure is needed and if all DRobbin's offer did was actually bring it to the top of the todo list then that is a good thing, hence my statement "Now we really get to see if the trustee's really care about gentoo" because something has to be done and if they do sod all then well teh trustee's don't give a damb!
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StifflerStealth wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:
[...snip...]
Very nice list. Kudos to you for taking the time to write this out. :)

jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say give drobbins the control he wants. It may completely fail, but it is clear that gentoo is not cutting it right now. Something has to change.
We can't update the homepage, we can't file routine paperwork. The only reason the distro is still going is because the devs are putting out e-builds. But sooner or later, without some kind of leadership, this distro is going to fracture. My main concern is that it may be too late for anyone to turn it around. Not to say that gentoo will die tomorrow, or next year, but that it will become marginalized, lose good developers and become a second rate piece of work.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonWalker wrote:
This is just nonsense irrational fear, if Drobbing just wanted it for his own sake he's in his full legal right to just take it. As the situation is now he has to make a decision, should the foundation and Gentoo assets be brought back into the community, or should he just take what he legally can claim and dump the rest to Public Domain etc? Apparently he wants Gentoo to rise again. He didn't really need to make this offer, if he didn't wanted to. Comming here with scaring with black demons is just pure nonsense. he nows many people depends on Gentoo in different ways, I am one of these, and it has to be a stop of this lull of things. Why can other distros make it and not we?

But he's not, because:
1) The incorporation of Gentoo under drobbins name has expired, which is what prompted this entire hoohaa in the first place.
2) The devs wouldn't let anyone take over by force. They'd fork and run, just like what happened when XFree tried to go commercial. Leaving him in change of nothing. This is the only way he could do it without having to work to earn respect, which is what he tried last time and promptly left as soon as the going got tough.

All he's said so far is that he'll fix Gentoo's legal status and make other changes, of which he hasn't (and apparently won't) specified anything about.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmichaelsen wrote:
Aniruddha wrote:

I find the argument "I dont want Drobbins back because we lack information what he is up to" not very rational or less emotional than a choice for Robbins. Why? Because we dont know what the trustees are up. Actually it might very well be that the trustees are not up to anything. With Daniel we at least know he has plan what he wants to do. If he wasnt, he would not have asked his boss about this stuff.

So with all the other unknowns, we know Daniel will commit himself to the tasks gentoo faces, and currently cannot be sure about that with any other option.

I do think it's rational to ask for more information in order to make an informed decision about such an important matter. The opposite would be an emotionally based split second decision.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: