vmware-server usb problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: vmware-server usb problems Reply with quote

I haven't gotten USB working with vmware-server, though I'm able to run WinXP fine otherwise in it. (I haven't tackled sound yet as haven't needed it and I think I may need a newer kernel - I'm at gentoo-sources-2.6.19-something.)

I fired up vmware-console and and I saw that under the Devices list there was no USB Controller. So I clicked on Edit and tried to add it - but I got an error message saying the controller was already enabled.

But if I power up WinXp - then under the VM/Remote Devices/USB Devices/ the list was "empty".

I googled around and someone said to check if usb.present = "TRUE" was set properly in the vmx file. This line was not there, so I added it. Then the USB Controller appeared in the vmware-console list of devices, and under the VM/Remote.../USB Devices I had a Realtec and an anonymous USB devices listed. I powered up WinXP and tried a thumbdrive and got the new hardware found notice and then it said an error occurred, and I was unable to find the drive. I double checked Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management to see if it were there and it was not.

I tried a USB printer - it found new hardware and created a USB001 port but I can't get it to talk to printer, even when trying via command line.

And I found this:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/35830;jsessionid=2B49F996F348D7CFAE07097C3DFC7929?tstart=0&start=30 which states you might need to do this: mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb but I tried and got already mounted errors.

So something isn't right. Hoping someone may be able to shed light.

cheers, Jim
mjf55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a try http://communities.vmware.com/thread/107431. Let us know how you make out.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for helping mjf55.

I took a look at the link and the fellow's last eureka! moment doesn't seem to apply to what I have. He mentioned going into the host's device manager and updating the VMware USB drivers. When I look in there, I have a generic hub USB driver and another - don't remember right now if it is an Intel or the Realtek, but I don't see any vmware usb drivers. Regardless, I tried updating each with no luck.

Looked into the vmware settings/remote settings/usb and there's the Realtek and another, but haven't tried to uninstall everything yet again and see if I see anything about vmware usb drivers.

cheers, Jim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: